HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:39 AM
oldtribefan
Walnut Creek, CA
Joined May 2007
590 Posts
Stunning models! I have never seen better. Thanks for sharing.

Kip
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2007, 06:49 AM
Ypsilanti,Michigan
Joined Jan 2005
75 Posts
Breath Taking

Hello

You are a true craftsman,an out standing model in everyway.
Bob L is offline Find More Posts by Bob L
Old Sep 05, 2007, 12:16 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,201 Posts
Can't imagine how I missed this thread....
Wait, it's been an event filled month.

Fantastic work,...
I like the rubber stamp step, and all the metal work.
Why/what is triple chromed? Does it make for a super hard or super shiny surface?
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Sep 05, 2007, 04:03 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
Most all chrome is/should be "triple". What it really means is, start with a base metal part polished up real pretty;
1. Copper plate it and buff out the copper even shinier;
2. Nickel plate it;
3. Chrome flash on top.

The chrome is always way thinner than the base copper and nickel.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 05, 2007, 04:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,019 Posts
Triple Chrome Plating

Generally, copper, nickel, then chrome.

From the internet:

"Triple Chrome Plating", "Quadruple Plating", "Double Nickel-Chrome"

As mentioned, decorative chrome plating always involves at least two layers of plating--a layer of nickel and a layer of chrome. But high quality plating requires a minimum of two layers of nickel. (There may also be a layer or two of copper underneath the nickel. And if the parts are plastic, there will be a layer of electroless nickel under that. If the parts are aluminum, there will be a zincate layer first, etc.)

Salespeople are always looking for advantage, and they will use any good-sounding terms they can get away with! There are no laws that define what triple chrome plating actually means, so salespeople will be prone to call their service "triple chrome plating" if there are a total of 3 layers of any kind of plating, or "quadruple chrome plating" if there are 4. So those terms mean little.

The most important issue for quality chrome plating (for outdoor exposure such as on a vehicle) is that it MUST have at least two layers of nickel plating before the chrome: namely semi-bright nickel followed by bright nickel. The reason for this involves galvanic corrosion issues. The bright nickel is anodic to the semi-bright nickel, sacrificially protecting it, spreading corrosion forces laterally instead of allowing them to penetrate to the steel. OEMs require very close control of this factor, and there is a test (the Chrysler developed STEP test) which large shops run daily to insure the right potentials. Control of this issue is probably the principal reason that today's chromium plating greatly outlasts the chrome plating of earlier times.

Experts argue whether copper plating provides any additional corrosion resistance at all, but with or without copper plating underlying the nickel, chrome on top of a single layer of nickel will not hold up to the severe exposure of a vehicle! Industry professionals call the two layers of nickel "duplex nickel plating", and that would be a much better term to use than "triple chrome" and such.

Chrome plating is hardly a matter of dipping an article into a tank, it is a long involved process that often starts with tedious polishing and buffing, then cleaning and acid dipping, zincating (if the part is aluminum), and copper plating. For top reflectivity "Show Chrome", this will be followed by buffing of the copper for perfect smoothness, cleaning and acid dipping again, and plating more copper, then two or three different types of nickel plating, all before the chrome plating is done. Rinsing is required between every step.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 06, 2007, 12:51 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Most all chrome is/should be "triple". What it really means is, start with a base metal part polished up real pretty;
1. Copper plate it and buff out the copper even shinier;
2. Nickel plate it;
3. Chrome flash on top.

The chrome is always way thinner than the base copper and nickel.
Pretty much that in a nutshell. I used a guy in North Hollywood, CA., since retired. He would buff the raw fitting, copper plate, buff that, nickel plate, buff that, then drop it into a chrome tank, then buff that. The guy did great work. One thing about chrome plating, it will not hide imperfections. It shows everything. The copper coat can be a heavy coat to help hide stuff, but that leads to distorting details. Best case; finesse all imperfections before you take a part to a chrome shop. Buff, buff, buff. Polishing is the key. Oh yea, make sure to talk to the person that will actually be handling your part. The last thing you want is a car bumper expert handling a model part you just spent three weeks perfecting doing the dipping.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 07, 2009, 05:38 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,072 Posts
WOW!! just spectacular Pat

Hows the Barrelback doing?
H.Lauer is online now Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:27 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Thanks Harry. The Barrel Back is collecting dust. Been busy on other boats.

I have this old VECO 35 Ocean Going Tug screaming at me. I'm thinkin' something like this.
Last edited by woodybob; Jul 07, 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: link...
Old Jul 08, 2009, 04:51 AM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,072 Posts
I'd forgotten about that one... Great photo should/will come out great. Harry
H.Lauer is online now Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Nov 02, 2009, 06:57 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
I'm really mad now. Here I am sitting here looking at two model runabouts with NOT ONE FLAW anywhere on the boat. There's not a single nail out of line or even a little wiggle in the trim. It's too perfect to be real. Must be photoshopped or sumpin. Ain't never seen models so well done eva in ma lifetime. Beautiful work both of you guys. I would even go so far as to call it spectacular and I don' give that to anyone. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,019 Posts
aliens...
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 02, 2009, 07:25 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
I'm really mad now. Here I am sitting here looking at two model runabouts with NOT ONE FLAW anywhere on the boat. There's not a single nail out of line or even a little wiggle in the trim. It's too perfect to be real. Must be photoshopped or sumpin. Ain't never seen models so well done eva in ma lifetime. Beautiful work both of you guys. I would even go so far as to call it spectacular and I don' give that to anyone. Pete
Thanks Pete...it's just a Dumas kit, slightly modified.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:39 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,561 Posts
I believe that I came up against this boat at one of the IMS shows in LA. If it's the one the pictures do not do Justus. It is just beautiful. It is a shame that the Krokers are gone I do have a boat with two in line. Fast, powerful, and smooth motors.
I think I'm starting to give away my age now.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:42 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
Ya I know ,it's just a kit and anybody can build a kit,even me. However the finish is what separates the men from the boys and you have to be a giant among men of model building. The extra details also makes the model and it's for certain that many painstaking hours of time were put into these models. A wonderful bit of work there WB. Congratulations on some very superb work. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Nov 03, 2009, 11:55 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILL RC View Post
I believe that I came up against this boat at one of the IMS shows in LA. If it's the one the pictures do not do Justus. It is just beautiful. It is a shame that the Krokers are gone I do have a boat with two in line. Fast, powerful, and smooth motors.
I think I'm starting to give away my age now.

Thanks G. Need to see your boat with the top removed.

Thanks Pete.