HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17 View Post
Just been told another month for gear. Had to open my spare plane box and use both. My field is a polo ground at a state park so it has holes that wreck the gear. I broke another 2 days ago.
Come on out to Calverton.... our field is looking up!
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:58 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
446 Posts
Rico, yes, it has an adapter for 2 different size engine shafts. Off the top of my head I couldn't tell what size they are, sorry.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Apr 07, 2010, 03:02 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoges17 View Post
Just been told another month for gear. Had to open my spare plane box and use both. My field is a polo ground at a state park so it has holes that wreck the gear. I broke another 2 days ago.
use the Dubro 40-60 sized landing gear.

The fiberglass gear on the revolver is very weak and if you land on grass like I do, it doesn't take long for the fiberglass to split between the screw holes and collapse.

I went with the dubro one piece gear and it looks great. Works much better than the stock gear.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNM65&P=0
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:11 AM
nananabooboo!!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2003
1,130 Posts
That gear is a must for this model. Broke the stock landing gear and the mounting surface on the maiden. Using the mentioned dubro landing gear and NO issues whatsoever.
nieves50 is online now Find More Posts by nieves50
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
Long Island ,NY
Joined Dec 2008
535 Posts
I picked it up. Doesnt look as nice but at least Im not worried about the gear wrecking the wings or fuse when it lets go. I broke 2 so far on smooth landings. Dam grass sucks.
bhoges17 is offline Find More Posts by bhoges17
Old Apr 10, 2010, 07:53 PM
Frederick Maryland USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,042 Posts
You can paint the Dubro gear and it will considerably improve it's looks. Maybe this gear doesn't have the nice curve of the stock gear, but the plane will still look awfully good.
Duetto is offline Find More Posts by Duetto
Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto View Post
You can paint the Dubro gear and it will considerably improve it's looks. Maybe this gear doesn't have the nice curve of the stock gear, but the plane will still look awfully good.
yes, not as sexy as the stock gear, but all it has is looks and no real structural strength when the pilot has to land on grass.

The dubro gear works great.
There is a reason the stock fiberglass gear is/has been on perpetual back order. They just break too easy.

Now if the flyer has a nice paved runway, then the stock gear works perfectly fine. Its just not going to take rough, or less than smooth fields for very long.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
I'm thinking about buying this plane.

Besides the landing gear issue, I have a question for those of you flying this: the wing loading is about 28 oz, which seems heavy to me. Does it tip stall?

Any squirrelly flying characteristics?
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
I bought one. Sharp plane, and I really like the Scarlet and Gray color scheme!

So, has anyone else had a problem with the black aluminum tube being WAY TOO BIG, in diameter, for the wing tubes and the fuselage tube?

Mine is too big. I sanded out the inside of the fuselage tube, and now the alum. tube fits, barely, and it's very difficult to put it in, and one wing tube is sanded out a bit, too, and it almost fits, but the other wing's tube will not fit. The wing tube is too small in diameter for the aluminum tube.

Anybody have a fix, besides my spending hours sanding out the inside of that tube?
Last edited by tlr-boise; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 05:52 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
I bought one. Sharp plane, and I really like the Scarlet and Gray color scheme!

So, has anyone else had a problem with the black aluminum tube being WAY TOO BIG, in diameter, for the wing tubes and the fuselage tube?

Mine is too big. I sanded out the inside of the fuselage tube, and now the alum. tube fits, barely, and it's very difficult to put it in, and one wing tube is sanded out a bit, too, and it almost fits, but the other wing's tube will not fit. The wing tube is too small in diameter for the aluminum tube.

Anybody have a fix, besides my spending hours sanding out the inside of that tube?

Id call greatplanes and tell them what's up, they should send you a fix for free,. It sounds like it's just a bad run of pipe and it's a hair too big.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Jul 15, 2010, 07:58 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehskds View Post
Id call greatplanes and tell them what's up, . . . .
I did. They suggested I put sandpaper on a dowel and sand out the interior of the tubes (fiberglass?) in the fuselage and in the wings. I did that, and found that the variability was in those tubes rather than the aluminum tube. One wing fit a little tight, one wing fit real, real tight, and the fuselage pipe was in between.
Last edited by tlr-boise; Jan 02, 2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
That was nice of them to tell you to fix their mistake for them.

On a side note, at one time you were considering the Escapade. What made you go with the Revolver? It sure is great looking plane but seems to be two steps up from the SSEP as opposed to the Escapade which seems to be one step up.

Just curious and slightly jealous.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:22 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
emillard,

I went with the Revolver because I don't know what I'm doing.

Seriously, I almost bought an Escapade. Came this close. Sunday, we went out to B.A.R.K.S here in Boise, a local RC flying club, and we spoke with some of the guys there.

They are mostly glow/gas/fuel flyers, with large heavy planes, and the wind blows out there a lot, out on the desert east of Boise.

My goal, in a nutshell, is to fly my H&M Corsair without crashing it. I built it, as my first plane, and they don't make them anymore, and it can't be replaced, and it cost me way more than I thought it would. If you don't know what it is, it's big and heavy and a very nice ARF, but H&M is out of business. Guys on that thread, at the Electric Warbirds forum, all told me I was crazy to fly it as my first plane, and of course they were right. It's finished, and hanging from my ceiling until I get the nerve to fly it.

So, then I bought an Apprentice and have flown it hundreds of times. But, it's nothing like the Corsair. So, I bought the hotter, faster, Super Sportster, (three of 'em) and am learning a lot.

But, I wanted to get a bigger, heavier, maybe more difficult plane to fly before trying the Corsair. The guys out at the club suggested a Revolver. I researched it. It weighs about 7 lbs. Corsair weighs 8. Wingspan is about the same. Wing loading is same. Can use the same 6s 5000 mAh batt.

Went into my LHS, and they had one. Opened the box. Colors, believe it or not, were white with Scarlet and Gray. It was a sign. So I bought it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

All I have to do now is buy all the stuff to make it fly. $$$ and $$$. Will take me a couple months or so, probably. Then, I'll have to join B.A.R.K.S., since I can't fly a 7 lb airplane around the park where I usually fly, and they have a beautiful runway. (And a bunch of good guys who are very helpful.)

And in the meantime, I'll fly the SSEP III. Keep trying to land it on grass without flipping it. I'm going to put bright yellow Ferrari crests on it tomorrow. Maybe that will make it fly better.
Last edited by tlr-boise; Jul 16, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 07:12 AM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Ahhh that's a good story tlr boise!

I decided to crash my 3rd SSEP the other day and decided I'm done with that plane. I had an unfortunate combination of a fly landing on my neck and the plane heading towards the Sun. Let's say that I was able to smack the fly but not keep control of the SSEP. It's just as well. I spent more timre trying to "fix" the way it flies and lands that I needed to move on. My Escapade has been a dream in comparison. It's about 5lbs, handles the wind much better, and lands predictably every time. (no sudden drops out of the sky).

I really like the look of the Revolver but I've got a Power 32 and some mini servos lying around so I guess I'll give another go at a Pulse 25e next.

Joining a club was a very smart decision for me. I should have done it sooner as my learning curve would not have been as steep or $$$. However now I don't have to worry about curbs or trees or telephone poles. I have a nice grass runway and if I blow my landing a bit it's just tall weeds at the end of the runway.

I'm keeping my eye on the Revolver. That may be a fall time project for me.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jul 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
emillard, that exact same fly thing happened to me, except I barely saved the plane, luckily. Morning sun and evening sun are so bright here that it's good I have a huge bunch of soccer fields to fly in, as I can fly every which way to keep the plane in the sun, or away from it. Those flourescent yellow/green tips I put on the plane help a lot with orientation.