Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:50 AM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
looking for speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
my revolver with a rimfire 46, 12x8 prop on 6s 5000 40c packs only does about 115, and it puts out close to 1700watts. how are you getting 125 on only 1300 watts...def let me know how it goes, i'm looking to get a little more speed out of her next season. i was even thinking about going with a 12s 3000mah setup just cant find the right motor
I played around with several motors and the most success I've had so far is with a Scorpion HK 4025 740 spinning a MAS 11 x 10 prop. This motor can handle up to 10S. I have it installed in a Hangar 9 P40B which weighs in around 8.5 pounds. Just on 8S (2 more cells to go), the onboard Voltron measured top speed at 151 mph. The only video I have so far is this crappy one where the head cam was off center. Going to take some more videos when I get her back out. I order these motors from Innov8ative Designs. Jordan, who works there, will swap the shaft around and install a 6mm shaft for a little extra cash. At the very end of the video, I check the Voltron. Here's the 151 mph run:

151 MPH Hangar 9 P40B (8 min 46 sec)
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
i couldnt find the 4025 740 motor, can you post a link to it
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
found it...didnt realize it was a heli motor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
ecalc shows close to 150amps on 11x10 thats kinda high for ta plane this size..you would have to use atleast 5000mah packs
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I hope that plane has been modded for speed or its not long for this world. No H9 warbird will last to long at those speeds.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:45 PM
I like Fast Warbirds
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2011
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I hope that plane has been modded for speed or its not long for this world. No H9 warbird will last to long at those speeds.
Yea I was worried about that. I brushed extra epoxy inside all the ribs as far as I could reach on each side before assembling the wing. The wing also uses ply as a wing joiner instead if a tube. Seems pretty solid and I could see any flex looking at the stills.

regarding the amps, I'm only pulling about 90 amps. I have a 4000 5S and a 4000 3 cell run in serial.

I also modded a FMS 1450 MM foam P51 with this same setup. I added extra carbon spars and some fiberglass with a one wing mod. With the drag it has I can only get 132 mph out of it. It has about 30 flights on it and is running a Castle Ice 100 but other than that, the same setup.

132 MPH Airfield P51 Mustang (7 min 7 sec)
Webmaister is offline Find More Posts by Webmaister
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
I realize every one here is into making this bird electric but I had to share that I'm dropping in the new evolution 10cc into this. When I finally get to fly it ill let you know how it goes.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:41 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehskds View Post
I realize every one here is into making this bird electric but I had to share that I'm dropping in the new evolution 10cc into this. When I finally get to fly it ill let you know how it goes.
Looking forward to that.
afjetmech is online now Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:42 PM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
448 Posts
Don't know when I'll get the chance to fly it. May be a while.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:56 PM
Long Beach, California
Joined Nov 2009
12 Posts
I have spoken with three people with Revolvers saying they ripped the landing gear off on their first or second landing. They all recommend I replace the entire under belly with 1/4" plywood and lots of epoxy. I think I will just in case.
Leadbottom is offline Find More Posts by Leadbottom
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:59 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbottom View Post
I have spoken with three people with Revolvers saying they ripped the landing gear off on their first or second landing. They all recommend I replace the entire under belly with 1/4" plywood and lots of epoxy. I think I will just in case.

Hi. Back starting at post 132 is a couple posts and series of pics that show how I fixed the landing gear. Hope it helps you.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:38 PM
Addicted to my hobby
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
I just finished reading through the thread. I can't wait to get mine built up. So far I've got a Rimfire .46, Castle Ice Lite 100 ESC, a variety of props (Xoar & APC), a 6S 3300mAh Turnigy A-SPEC Battery (90C-130C?), 2 Turnigy Nano-Tech 4000mAh Batteries, and a couple of good Hitec servos...oh, and of course I will have the DuBro landing gear on it as well.

I'm accustomed to flying fast wings, Funjets, etc. but never anything this heavy. I fear that my home field has an inadequate runway (250 ft, carpeted) so I may be venturing off to a different part of town to fly it or at the very least, maiden.

It appears that this plane is a well built rocket. This should be interesting. (fingers crossed)
Sweetrex is offline Find More Posts by Sweetrex
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:43 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I would highly recommend trying it somewhere else first.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:19 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Sweetrex,

Are you accustomed to flying a slick, fast plane that will tip-stall in a nano-second if you try to turn base to final too slow? In my (admittedly limited) experience, this plane will do that.

If you have a 250' carpeted runway, you might do just fine, although you might take up about 200' of it, unless you touch down right at the end of your runway. Gewiens' experience is evidently similar to mine, i.e., my landings have tended to take up the whole runway, but that's primarily because I can't seem to touch down until just before midway of a 500' long blacktop runway.

With yours carpeted, you might do just fine. You might consider dialing in some exponential, and keep the speed up until you fly it down to just over the end of the runway.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how your flights go. This is a terrific plane, but personally, it kept me on pins and needles every time I flew it. Pretty dang responsive, and probably was a bit beyond my abilities.

I do think the videos show the plane can land within a 250' runway.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Yep. If you can touch down right where you want it will work but mine is running on 7 and 8s which makes it even heavier. I go way way out on final to bleed off speed in a straight line. If its calm I almost have to go into the next area code to bleed off enough speed.