HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2010
55 Posts
hey guys just got one of these and want to run it on 5s 3500 packs i have a bunch from another plane what would you suggest for power set ups thanks
zzcutter is offline Find More Posts by zzcutter
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
55 Posts
It is the smaller one thanks
zzcutter is offline Find More Posts by zzcutter
Old May 13, 2012, 12:59 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcutter View Post
hey guys just got one of these and want to run it on 5s 3500 packs i have a bunch from another plane what would you suggest for power set ups thanks
You can fly it find with the Rimfire 46 but it won't light your hair on fire with a 5s. Also you won't get a whole lot of flight time with the 3500 capacity. I fly a GP Cherokee with the Rimfire 46, 5s 4000, and 12x8 prop. It's definetly fun, but not like my Revolver using the same setup but with 6s.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old May 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
For those with landing issues:

I've had my Revolver for about 2 years and have been successfully landing it well for 1.5 years. I did change to the Dubro gear outlined earlier in the thread, because like TLR said, it WILL fracture eventually. The Dubro is 1000x more durable, it's just not the prettiest thing out there.

I would really encourage you all to program about 30-40% spoilerons in the plane for landing. It is night and day different and helps with the bounce too. The plane slows down much more nicely. It still takes a bit of runway but it doesn't act like the out of control freight train it did before.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,504 Posts
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Last edited by road_rascal; Jun 06, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akent View Post
Well, after a lot of flights with gradually increasing thrashing, I finally found a weak point on my Revolver!

I had been flying it for quite a while with the Rimfire 46, an Ice 100 and a Nano-Tech 3300 6s 45c, with an APC 11x8E. It was FAST! Estimates were 120++, but I never did get a good doppler. It pulled 2,100 watts.

I also had at least 4x the recommended throws everywhere, with 60% expo on the ailerons and elevator. 50% on the rudder. It would snap VIOLENTLY at any speed!!! That was awesome!

I found the limits while doing a fast blender. Something snapped and it went in fast. I had little time to let off.

It's completely destroyed!

I just bought another one, as I love this plane in the air.
====
This kit has a lot of problems. I wonder why that is? The original Revolver kit was flawless.
1. The cowl was cracked in several places. The shipping and internal cardboard box are perfect.
2. The covering was horribly wrinkled on one wing and the turtle deck. I can't get these all out.
3. The wing tube on one of the wings didn't have a hope of fitting.
4. Both wings do not sit flat on the fuse sides. There is a rather large gap in the front of the wings.

Fixes:
1. I just ordered a new cowl. It is perfect. I can use the cracked one as a spare. I have already CA'd the cracks. It's ugly but serviceable. (I rarely send things back.)
2. No fix. I just got out the wrinkles the best I could. I only burned one small hole in it. I hate Monocote, and when it's applied beyond the shrinkability, forget it.
3. I spent an hour and a half with a 1/2" dowel, 3m 77, and sandpaper wrapped around it to get the wing tube in the wing bigger. I had to remove a lot of material. The tube in the wing looked cracked. It fits Ok now.
4. I don't know how to fix this.
====
I think I'm finished with Great Planes anything, after buying quite a few for many years. Their quality has gone down the tubes.

I just sent back my first ever plane, a Great Planes Reactor Bipe. The wood was poor, and the wrinkle problems with it were far worse than this Revolver. It was beyond hope.

The most recent two GP planes I bought were aweful.

I am very sad, as I love the Revolver. It's a beautiful plane and I love the way it flies.

Sorry to gripe.
Kent
I'm running 6s with the Rimfire 46 also, but currently using an 11x7E with the Ice75. Do you think the Ice75 will handle the 11x8 prop? I'm looking to smoke (or keep up with) a fellow club members Ultra Funjet.
afjetmech is online now Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
An 11x8 on 6s will pull about 80A. That is certainly pushing it for any 75A ESC (not to mention the motor itself).
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Mar 2009
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
An 11x8 on 6s will pull about 80A. That is certainly pushing it for any 75A ESC (not to mention the motor itself).
I figured it might be pushing it close, but most ESC's can handle considerably more than their rating. I'l probably try it and just run 3/4 to full throttle in short bursts and see what happens.
afjetmech is online now Find More Posts by afjetmech
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
I have one with a Tacon Big Foot .46 from Hobby Partz and two 3s 3300's effectively making it a 6s. The thing is a rocket with unlimited vertical. However, time wise I can barely get throuh the Sportsman class pattern before the batteries go flat on me. Great time flying it though, very responsive and it will do any maneuver I am capable of. Almost forgot, using a 13X10 APC prop.
Smooth Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Pilot
Last edited by Smooth Pilot; Jul 22, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
Kingdom of Sweden
Joined Nov 2010
22 Posts
How many watts do get with this motor. Is it this one
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m605-big...020-670kv.html
MrDo is offline Find More Posts by MrDo
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Selling my great shape revolver. Rimfire 46 , 100 amp esc, hitec servos, runs great on 6s with my 12x 8 soar wooden. Clocked at 110mph. Pm me for pics

Dave
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
That's it. I have had it in two seperate airplanes and it is strong with 5S or 6S.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
just picked up a 60inch reveolver, i'm a bit of a speed junky and i dont know if the rimfire 46 will get me to my desired 120-130mph, any suggestions on a motor 6s-8s?
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
61 Posts
Possibly with the right ESC and 8S. Is the Rimfire .46 capable of handling a 8S battery? I use the Tacon Big Foot .46 with 6S and I feel it comes pretty close if not there at WOT.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
My Revolver with the Rimfire 46, Ice 100, 3300ma 6s 65C battery with an APC 11x8E hits every bit of 120mph. It is at least as fast as my E-F1 racers which hit 120mph in the straights.

Be careful with larger throws at these speeds. I had my last Revolver (I'm on #2!) set on high rates one day (with higher than stock recommendations) and I decided to do a blender at WOT coming down. HUGE MISTAKE! One of the flight surfaces ripped off. I couldn't see which one. Needless to say, it was a crash that vaporized the plane!

I'm more easy on this one! I love the way these planes fly.
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent