HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
dwads77,

I noticed you have one post. Are you a new flyer? If so, I'm thinking this plane isn't a good first plane. It's real fast and lands hot, and goes exactly where you fly it, including right into the ground real quick. You'll likely turn your new plane into sticks. Besides a jet, I can't think of a plane that is LESS like a trainer. (In my small experience.)

If you're an experienced flyer, ignore this post.

But, if you're inexperienced, and you have a local hobby shop that has RealFlight set up, one of the packs has this smaller red and white Revolver as one of the plane models, and it flies pretty much like the real plane. If you demo it on that simulator, you'll see what I mean. The only thing that isn't right about the simulator Revolver is that if you fly the real one too slow, as in turning base to final for landing, it will tip stall right into the ground, whereas the simulator model won't. (Ask me how I know.)

Good luck with this plane though. It flies great if you can handle it.

And ditto hidaven's post. Read his post #485, above. All true, (except the landing gear is fragile, I'd say.)
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I have replaced my landing gear and now retract my landing gear comment. The landing gear suck big time. I have a Matt chapman plane as well and that FG gear is just as bad. Replaced those with Alum. ones and the dubro gear for the revolver. MUCH better. Doesnt nose over anymore either.....
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,350 Posts
I replaced my gear with the Dubro gear as well. Very sturdy. However, I did recently manage to rip the whole damn thing out of the fuse with a hot landing on a tricky, windy day.

The wind was messing with me so much I couldn't get my final speed figured out. The plane would drop sort of randomly and I have had experience with the too slow tip stall. I had already gone around three seperate times and on the fourth, I jsut pushed it too hard. I tried to touch down and the whole gear assembly just left the plane. The rest of the plane then just did a nice smooth slide to a stop on the grass.

Should be a relatively easy fix, when I get around to it.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
dwads77,

I noticed you have one post. Are you a new flyer? If so, I'm thinking this plane isn't a good first plane. It's real fast and lands hot, and goes exactly where you fly it, including right into the ground real quick. You'll likely turn your new plane into sticks. Besides a jet, I can't think of a plane that is LESS like a trainer. (In my small experience.)

If you're an experienced flyer, ignore this post.

But, if you're inexperienced, and you have a local hobby shop that has RealFlight set up, one of the packs has this smaller red and white Revolver as one of the plane models, and it flies pretty much like the real plane. If you demo it on that simulator, you'll see what I mean. The only thing that isn't right about the simulator Revolver is that if you fly the real one too slow, as in turning base to final for landing, it will tip stall right into the ground, whereas the simulator model won't. (Ask me how I know.)

Good luck with this plane though. It flies great if you can handle it.

And ditto hidaven's post. Read his post #485, above. All true, (except the landing gear is fragile, I'd say.)
Thanks for the tips. I have RF4.5 and have the extensions. I will have to check if it has the revolver in there. It sounds like you guys have had quite a bit of fun with this model. (and some pain) I am experienced, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. I have flown quite a few different models, low wing planes and ducted fan jets, but this is by far the largest and fastest plane in my garage right now. (it kind of scares me) Most of what I have flown are pylon racing foamies and 3d balsa planes. I think I can handle the flight characteristics of the plane, but I am most concerned with the length of the landing strip. I am guessing that nobody takes this bird up at their local soccer field?

As I said in my original post, this revolver has seen the dirt more than once. So my main goal is to get it up and down in one piece. At least my car battery packs are hard cased, that might help...
dwads77 is offline Find More Posts by dwads77
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
weight should be fine. What size prop are you using? Im on 6s spinning a 11x8 xoar. Takes a long run to get airborn and land due to the small diam. Burns up the sky once Im going though : ))) Id suggest a larger diam prop to start and see how she handles. The plane can handle the weight with no problem. Theres a vid around of one on 12s doing 160 : ) Great plane and built like a tank!

-Dave
I am running a 12x8. Do you think that flying this on 4s would be sufficient? Or should I stick with 6s?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:29 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,350 Posts
What motor?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Im running the rimfire 46 right at if not over its limit a little. About 85 amps 2000 watts.
The plane has to be doing 110 MPH easy. Its so loud and fast its amazing. A well built for speed plane although it looks a little funny with that big spinner and little prop : )
If I had it to do over id do a scorpion 4025-12 440KV with a bigger 14x12 prop.

Only drawback is the plane glides forever on landing withthe small diam. props. My matt Chapman has a 17x8 and that big prop slows the plane like a parachute.......
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
What motor?
I just measured it and it looks like it is the Monster Power 60 (400kv) from hobbypartz. It was the motor that came on the plane from the previous owner. I have an 80amp esc hooked up.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,350 Posts
A 12x8 on 4s on that motor is going to be aneamic at best and may not even provide enought thrust to fly the plane. Even on 6s, a 12x8 is not going to provide much power. I use a Power 60 400Kv on 6s to turn a 16x10 on another, similarly sized aircraft.

On my Revolver, I run a 500Kv 46 sized motor on 6s with a 12x10 -12x12 prop (going to try a 13x10) and it hauls the mail. Mine was clocked at 104 running the 12x10, at a measly 1250 watts. However, my motor on 6s is providing ~2000 more RPM than your 400Kv motor on 6s. If you are going to use that motor, definitely use 6s and I would sugggest propping up as much as you can fit. Hidaven's 14x12 suggestion could be good if it'll fit.
Last edited by Lardog; Apr 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:00 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwads77 View Post
. . . but this is by far the largest and fastest plane in my garage right now. (it kind of scares me) Most of what I have flown are pylon racing foamies and 3d balsa planes. I think I can handle the flight characteristics of the plane, but I am most concerned with the length of the landing strip. I am guessing that nobody takes this bird up at their local soccer field?

As I said in my original post, this revolver has seen the dirt more than once. So my main goal is to get it up and down in one piece. At least my car battery packs are hard cased, that might help...

Dwads77: Sounds like you have much more experience with different--and faster--planes than I did when I got my Revolver. This plane's size isn't the factor, I don't believe, as much as it's slickness and weight. Large size means it's easy to see its orientation. It's weight, however, might be heavier than you're used to, wing loading-wise. It moves, and goes right where it gets pointed real fast, and yes, it might take a nice long landing area. Not a soccer field, for flying, I'd say. My club's runway is 500 ft long, blacktop, and I use most of it to just get it down, although there is a more experienced flyer who can land his Revolver easily, in, say, a couple hundred feet. On grass, it should slow down ok.

Some advice: You'll probably do just fine, but make sure your flight control surfaces are on low rates to start with, and double-check the CoG. Coming in for a landing, when you turn base to final, make sure your speed is ok. On final, when wings are level and you're bringing it in, then you can cut the throttle and let it come in. Others here may have other advice, but that's mine, from hard experience. (and I hasten to add, I'm no expert.) The wing loading, and wing configuration means it will tip stall if you're in a turn and not going fast enough, and if it happens and you're too low, you might not be able to save it. If you have a brake on the motor, and you cut the throttle on final, you'll glide more, but if you have a windmilling prop, be careful it doesn't slow you down too much.

And, also, yes, I've mashed a couple very expensive 6S batteries with this plane, and so your batts might be the right ones to use. .
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
Correction, it looks like the prop is a 14x8 Windsor.

Also, has anyone tried tightening the wheels to increase drag so it won't roll out as far on landing? Or would this just make the plane flip over.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwads77 View Post
Correction, it looks like the prop is a 14x8 Windsor.

Also, has anyone tried tightening the wheels to increase drag so it won't roll out as far on landing? Or would this just make the plane flip over.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. The roll out isn't the problem. It's the speed the plane carries in the air.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
dwads77:

I just checked my Revolver, and I've got a Hyperion ZS4020-12 motor that is rated at 543 kvm, with a 13x8 prop, and it flies great, except, of course, for my dumb thumbs. My batts are 6s. I'm NO expert, but a larger prop, with your 400 kv motor, might be the ticket, as Lardog and Hidaven suggest.

Have you asked the previous owner why the plane didn't fly successfully? What happened with him? Maybe the darn thing just couldn't get going, and maybe the previous owner tried to force it into the air, and didn't happen.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
6 Posts
It sounds like the previous owner had a great time flying it, but just couldn't get the landing down. That and his love of low altitude maneuvers caused the plane to cartwheel.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:50 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
446 Posts
I share that love of low altitude, 80mph inverted and rudder parting the grassy runway. I haven't been bit yet but I do invite it when flying the revolver. You should try it, it's quite the adrenaline rush.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds