SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:12 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Kinda figured most of these accidents must be because of the landing area conditions or lack of area to maneuver the plane into a nice glide path.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Feb 2006
446 Posts
My landing s for the most part are good. My trouble is recovering from menuvers lime flat spins, she doesn't lile to pull out. I have plowed the ground after a somewhat low flat spin, just didn't want to pull out and landed/crashed in the flat spin. Looking back on it I think if I had powered up to gull throttle it may have come out. For whatever reason I forgot I had a throttle stick.
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehskds View Post
For whatever reason I forgot I had a throttle stick.
Too funny. Yep, i can see this happening to me too. I've gone up nice and high and tried to do flat spins and recreate some of the things i've heard that this plane does but never able to get it out of control. Only one time i had a scary flight and it was on take off. Wind caught it when i was only about 4 ft off and it went toward a ditch but i manged to save it thank goodness.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:56 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehskds View Post
My landing s for the most part are good. My trouble is recovering from menuvers lime flat spins, she doesn't lile to pull out. I have plowed the ground after a somewhat low flat spin, just didn't want to pull out and landed/crashed in the flat spin. Looking back on it I think if I had powered up to gull throttle it may have come out. For whatever reason I forgot I had a throttle stick.
On my first Revolver I crashed because I could not pull it out of a spin. It wasn't a flat spin, just your regular garden variety spin. However I let off all the controls and it just kept spiraling....right into the ground. I tried to figure out what happened but I never really did. The rudder was deflected at impact but it's hard to say whether the crash causeed that or the rudder servo actually stuck. Either way I got rid of that servo. I've not tried a spin on my 2nd Revolver. I just like this plane way too much to chance it again. Mental block I guess.
emillard is offline Find More Posts by emillard
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:58 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
I flew the Revolver probably 10 times this weekend and the landings are getting fairly good. I'm completely convinced that spoilerons are the way to go. I have mine set at 40% (of the recommended high rates) and the plane slows down nicely. To me the plane seems much more predictable than when using flaperons.

Because the spoilerons have been such a big help I'm able to keep my final turn speed higher because I'm not so worried about bleeding off speed before touchdown.

Man I love this plane!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
I'll have to give the spoilerons a try.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:02 PM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
I have a revolver on the way as we speak!
I'm pretty excited about it.
After reading posts here, I also ordered a Dubro landing gear.
Thanks to you all!

I have an Eflite Power 46 and an ICE 100 that I plan on running. This motor is 670kv, so I'll experiment with props at first. I have 5000 6s only right now, so that is what I'll play with.
If the plane survives for a while, I plan on adding serious power. I think 3kw+ and near 150mph should be about right.
====
About the spoilerons helping with stability, if you run both ailerons up on a plane, that is called 'reflex'. This reduces the tendency to tip stall. I learned that from a Sapac L-39 EDF that I fly. Stock, it was a stall monster. I added a few mm of reflex and it is a joy to fly now. It does have flaps and it lands hot as well.

So, I certainly believe spoilerons would help on landing. You should be able to fly slower without stalling, and the nose up attitude helps too.
I plan on doing that right off the bat, too!

One other thing...Bouncing...
I also fly E-F1 (Electric Formula 1) and these planes bounce like crazy if you have the landing gear too far forward of the CG. The reason for the bouncing described several posts back is right on.
On both my Pogo and Miss Dara racers, the landing gear has been moved back almost to the CG. The drawback of this is the plane will nose over easier, especially in grass. But bouncing is virtually non-existent.
Everything is a trade off, it seems.

Best,
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Welcome to the thread Akent. You seem to have a lot of good knowledge to share which is awesome.

About the Power 46. I've used it in a couple of different planes and kind of thought it was a dog. I flew it on 6 cells using a 12x8 and was never really impressed. The Rimfire 46 puts a smile on face however (790KV) and with a 6 cell and a 12x6 it puts out close to 2000W at about 98amps and I get a nice 6 minutes of flying out of a 6S 4000mah 40C pack. Sure you're pressing the limits of the motor but mine has been fine for over a year now.

Thanks for the tips on bouncing as well. Ever since I implimented spoilerons my bouncing has been greatly reduced. I never thought about flying with reflex but it sure would make that final turn easier before landing.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:23 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillard View Post
Welcome to the thread Akent. You seem to have a lot of good knowledge to share which is awesome.

About the Power 46. I've used it in a couple of different planes and kind of thought it was a dog. I flew it on 6 cells using a 12x8 and was never really impressed. The Rimfire 46 puts a smile on face however (790KV) and with a 6 cell and a 12x6 it puts out close to 2000W at about 98amps and I get a nice 6 minutes of flying out of a 6S 4000mah 40C pack. Sure you're pressing the limits of the motor but mine has been fine for over a year now.

Thanks for the tips on bouncing as well. Ever since I implimented spoilerons my bouncing has been greatly reduced. I never thought about flying with reflex but it sure would make that final turn easier before landing.
I know what you mean about being a dog. I've found in my use on the eflite motors that it seems anything above a power32 is not impressive. A rimfire 46 will out perform on this plane hands down.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
Spicewood, Texas
Joined Aug 2009
310 Posts
Thanks for the Rimfire info.
I got the Eflite 46 motor for basically free, so I thought I would run it.

Having a dog of a plane won't cut it! I'm about to order the Rimfire.

Thanks again!
Kent
akent is offline Find More Posts by akent
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:15 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I know what you mean about being a dog. I've found in my use on the eflite motors that it seems anything above a power32 is not impressive. A rimfire 46 will out perform on this plane hands down.
Yeah I think the Power 32 absolutely rips. It hauled my Pulse 25 around like a rocket. I thought the Power 46 would be great too but it pretty much sucked.

Yep you will love the Rimfire 46 on 6S.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Off topic

Emillard,

Here's an article for you:

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/s...tion-game.html

Not flying my Revolver at all, these days. Or the new Osiris. They are both "in the shop" where they've been since July. But I still read this thread from time to time. Retired 5/27 and just started helicopter lessons toward private license. Bought five books right away; studying hard and feels like I just started law school or something. Fun, though.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:48 PM
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Dec 2007
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Emillard,

Here's an article for you:

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/s...tion-game.html

Not flying my Revolver at all, these days. Or the new Osiris. They are both "in the shop" where they've been since July. But I still read this thread from time to time. Retired 5/27 and just started helicopter lessons toward private license. Bought five books right away; studying hard and feels like I just started law school or something. Fun, though.
Good article. Thanks!

Oh are you flying real helicopters? Wow. Did this interest come out of left field or have you been interested in this for a while?

Good luck. Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats on retirement too!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
e:

Yep, real ones. Robinson R22. But my "flying" them is kind of a stretch at this point. At 16 hrs, more like they're flying me. They are a challenge. Always wanted to do it, but had no time and was too expensive. Costs came down, and my available time went up, so I'm doing it. As it turns out, one of the best helicopter schools in the country is right here in this valley. Great instructors, superbly maintained aircraft.

http://silverhawkaviation.net/home.html

Thanks. I recommend this retirement gig.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
NW Chicago region
Joined May 2008
114 Posts
Maiden flight

Just got my Revolver in the air. WOW- This bird is a rocket. I'm using a slightly different setup too. I based it on the success of my Reactor.

I'm running a HK 4260-600 with a 100A ESC/BEC. 6S (2 X 3S-3300's). Here's the twist. I went heavy on the prop. 15X8; as with the Reactor. The result was that there was so much thrust that actually I backed down the power to 4S 3200 and had plenty of power to spare.

I am using minimal throws and I still have to get used to how little elevator this frame needs (hence the short frame). Even with the 4S, I was still amazed how much power this setup had.

I tried flaperons with some good success. Just need to program in some up elevator. Based on reading some posts. I may just try the spoilerons. I have not experience that kind of setup yet and will try that once I get a few more flights in.

Landing gear- Not impressed. They look good but that's about it. Not great even for low cut grass. I now have one that has a fracture at the mounting area. Looking into the Dubro or carbon fiber from Graphtech.

All in all, I can't wait to get this back in the air. I logged 6 flights in 10-12 mph gusts. The wind was not too much of an issue and she tracked VERY well. No issues on landings. I do agree that this plane does like to float and I needed to use about 2X the area than some 3D planes of the same size class. This plane is sleek and want's to move!

Bottom line, if I lost this one due to pilot error, I'd buy another to replace it.

Cheers!
scuba_diver is offline Find More Posts by scuba_diver