HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2007, 11:21 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Question
Buying Advice Wanted

My brother has three kids. They have a pond. I was thinking that the perfect Christmas gift for them this year would be RC boats. Because there are three of them, I am going to have to buy three, because with them, they will fight.

I need some product advice. These are kids, ages 6 to 12. I don't want to spend more than $50 per boat...because they are kids. Electrics will do just fine. What products might fit my need?
caeman is offline Find More Posts by caeman
Last edited by caeman; Aug 08, 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: forgot the category
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:20 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,893 Posts
There is plenty of RTS about - the only (!) problems are making sure that they are all working in different bands - (should say something like 27 or 40 or 49 or 75) = and how big is the pond?
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:29 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
The pond is about a half-acre in size.

As I was looking around, the whole conflicting frequency thing came to mind. Maybe there is a boat offered in 3 frequencies to insure no conflicts. The search continues.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:41 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,893 Posts
The low price RTS boats all tend to take up the entire band, so as long as they claim different bands on the box, you should be OK and avoid mutual interference. THe low price is usually at the cost of the control system, but if no-body else is involved, no problem.
I just typed "RC boats" into my search engine and got a pageful of prospects. There is the usual optimistic advertising specifications to contend with, but you should find something to satisfy within your budget. Look for the magic letters "RTS" or "RTR".
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Aug 09, 2007, 08:29 AM
Sunny South Florida
Joined Sep 2004
214 Posts
I know it a little more money then you want to spend but I suggest that you look at the Thunder Tiger Voyager 1 meter yacht. The voyager cost about $150 from tower hobbies. My 3 son and I each have one. My boys are 5, 5 and 6; yes there a set of twin in there. The boys like the fact that the boat are as big as they are. The boat is Simple to assemble and easy to sail. There is a owner group looking to become an AMYA sanction class and they have a great support group and website. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The_Marina
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKTT0&P=0
windwarrior6682 is offline Find More Posts by windwarrior6682
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:35 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,228 Posts
Tower Hobbies also sells Reef Racers.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXMPG3**&P=ML

They are quick and agile, and can take a pounding.
They are available on six different channels/colors, which can be specified when ordering.

Zig Zag racers are similar...

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,113 Posts
Spend a few extra bucks if you can, and get the new Mini-V Racers from Horizon Hobby:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PRB3000
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 09, 2007, 09:45 PM
Arizona
Joined May 2007
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeman
My brother has three kids. They have a pond. I was thinking that the perfect Christmas gift for them this year would be RC boats. Because there are three of them, I am going to have to buy three, because with them, they will fight.

I need some product advice. These are kids, ages 6 to 12. I don't want to spend more than $50 per boat...because they are kids. Electrics will do just fine. What products might fit my need?
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
because with them, they will fight.
In the old days we were taught to share. Don't mean no disrespect but me thinks this is the root of the trouble with kids today.

Is it easier to buy them all one or spend time teaching them to share (one really nice boat)?

Forgive me for off topic...it had to be said.

Respectfully,
Bill
Captbill is offline Find More Posts by Captbill
Last edited by Captbill; Aug 09, 2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:41 PM
Los Angeles
Joined May 2006
250 Posts
Reef Racer 2!!!!

I have a three year old son, and from personal experience, I highly recommend the reef racer 2. That boat is fantastic - takes a lot of abuse and keeps on going. The kids will be able to race each other and easily spot their boats as each will be painted a different color (thus different radio frequency).

They're fast and tempting for even the biggest of kids (err adults).

Also - Tower Hobbies has them on sale for $63 each. Tower always seems to have a promotion of $20 to $35 off your order - - - so that will get the price very close to your $50 budget.

You won't go wrong with the Reef Racer.

Good luck!
u163665 is offline Find More Posts by u163665
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:01 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,707 Posts
If you need info on frequencies I just updated the WSBA R/C information page with a downloadable frequency list. 27 mhz has six available channels and they are distinguished by frequency (megahertz) or by color. Some RTR toy boats are on 49 mhz which has five available frequencies. Go to http://wiscaleboat.org/rc_information_page.htm and click on surface frequency list in the quick link bar.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 13, 2007, 08:01 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captbill
Is it easier to buy them all one or spend time teaching them to share (one really nice boat)?

Forgive me for off topic...it had to be said.
No, you make an excellent point. It is a sad reality. I suppose I could use this chance to try and teach them to share by getting only one nice one.

I have been looking around and there are some nice RTR boats for sale. I am definitely not lacking in available choices.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 08:06 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Aug 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u163665
I have a three year old son, and from personal experience, I highly recommend the reef racer 2. That boat is fantastic - takes a lot of abuse and keeps on going. The kids will be able to race each other and easily spot their boats as each will be painted a different color (thus different radio frequency).

They're fast and tempting for even the biggest of kids (err adults).

Also - Tower Hobbies has them on sale for $63 each. Tower always seems to have a promotion of $20 to $35 off your order - - - so that will get the price very close to your $50 budget.

You won't go wrong with the Reef Racer.

Good luck!
This is definitely an intriguing option. Thanks for the tip.