SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:04 PM
Dain Bramaged
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Build Log
Gee Bee R-2 Kids' build

At the LHS..I sent my 11 yr old daughter and her friend off to look around while I spent her college tuition...

They came back begging me to let them build this "cute" airplane...

Since this is only my second build, we're learning this together.
We've come across our first question:
Plans say to 'laminate' several pieces together.

Is this simply brushing 50/50 glue to the flat surfaces and gluing the pieces together or is there another implication to this?

The girls are really excited about their project! Thanks in advance for everyone's help...we'll be posting progress pics along with more questions!
Crashndash is offline Find More Posts by Crashndash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:58 PM
USA, GA, Gainesville
Joined Jun 2002
169 Posts
Herr kit help

I've got one of these kits and maybe I can help you.

But not on this Web site.

I am biplaner@bellsouth.net.

e-mail me

hobbyshopguy
hobbyshopguy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyshopguy
Old Aug 08, 2007, 09:31 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Wow, starting at the deep end if you intend to fly it! The choice of Herr for the kit is a good one, however, and will make flight at least possible but limited.

The GeeBees have defied the best efforts of modellers for a long time; at one time there was a contest to see who could actually get one to fly on rubber!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Aug 09, 2007, 01:06 PM
Dain Bramaged
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
The GeeBees have defied the best efforts of modellers for a long time; at one time there was a contest to see who could actually get one to fly on rubber!
Fly?
I'll be happy if the girls get it built.

Maybe if I don't tell them this is difficult to fly, they will find a way to do it.

Innocence sometimes trumps overengineering!

In any case, they will have accomplished something when this is finished, and we're having fun...sometimes its about the journey....
Old Aug 09, 2007, 09:19 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Hah. Different scenario. Yeah, build it! It is a good challenge, and best of all, you're all having fun!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
12 Posts
In kits like that, most curved parts are thin strips, bent around a form and glued together with white glue or CA. it is a neat way to do it.

For me the best way is to trace the inside edge of the shape on cardboard, cut it out, cover the edge with candle wax or waxed paper. Wrap strips around the form with water based glue between each layer. Use tape to secure the strips until dry. Then trim to size and install.
uliner is offline Find More Posts by uliner
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashndash
.......Maybe if I don't tell them this is difficult to fly, they will find a way to do it.

Innocence sometimes trumps overengineering!....
And a field of tall and soft grass isn't a bad idea either....

You've got the right idea about forming the strips. Oddly enough no one is mentioning soaking the wood strips in hot water first. When I strip laminate formed outlines around a mold I always let them soak in some hot water for about 2 or 3 minutes first. And for smaller surfaces I'll use pins on a board to hold it all in place. To avoid the pin bruising on the outside edge I use one extra layer on the outside. After it dries overnight I glue them up with thinned white or aliphatic carpenter's glue. At that point the "pin padding" isn't needed since it only takes a light force to hold the strips in place.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:19 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Mar 2005
507 Posts
From what people have said, GeeBees can be made to fly; the issue is how long. Pres Bruning published plans for one in pnut scale and I've heard his flew pretty well. Chris Starleaf posted pics of his over on SFA a while back with the comment that it flew 15-20 sec and he had given up trying to make it fly longer. So they can fly, just not terribly long. And deep grass is a must. The wheels like to part company with the airframe on rough landings.
jwfinn is offline Find More Posts by jwfinn
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:05 PM
Dain Bramaged
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
great ideas...thanks!

We're going to get back to it next week...I'll post some progress pics...once we make some...progress, that is...

I can't wait to see how it flies...the rough around the club's runway strip is about knee high...pretty forgiving (experience talking here )
Old Aug 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,337 Posts
This is great that your daughter wants to do this with you. Give her all the encouragement that you can, I think that she'll love you all the more for it.

I'd love to see more pics and hear about your progress. Keep'em coming.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Aug 21, 2007, 08:25 PM
Dain Bramaged
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Left side formers up.

It may not appear so in the pictures, but she got them all straight!
(thinking ahead, I'm interested in how we're going to assemble the right side without it convieniently flat on the board...)

This is working well, as we can only go so far until its 'glue drying' time.
So far, it has been perfectly timed so we have not overreached anyone's attention span

She is still thinking about "designing" it when we're done...thoughts of covering it black and purple with "bratz" on the side...

I have time...

more to come!!!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:29 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Interesting time ahead. The other side is built in "midair", but Don't do it until all the stringers are on the left side. Then one must be careful not to warp the fuselage when applying the stringers on the right-hand side... Wheeeee!!!
Old Aug 26, 2007, 02:24 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Could you not scan the plan and reverse the image for the right hand side?
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Aug 26, 2007, 03:11 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Interesting time ahead. The other side is built in "midair", but Don't do it until all the stringers are on the left side. Then one must be careful not to warp the fuselage when applying the stringers on the right-hand side... Wheeeee!!!
Noooo... dont add the stringers on the left side. If you do the fuselage half will 'bananna' as you lift it from the plan.
The usual way to do former and keel (or at least the way most people do it) is build the top and bottom keels and half formers over the plan as you have done, add the side keel (or if no side keel add one stringer that's been pre formed to the correct shape)... Lift the fuselage half from the plan. Add the right side formers and side keel, then add stingers in left/right pairs. Mike Stuart has a build article on his web site that details the procedure: http://www.ffscale.co.uk/f84a.htm. Have a browse around his site while your there for some inspiration.

Altenatively you can build a simple 'ladder' type jig to keep it all straight during construction.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:38 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Agreed that it is much better to have sidekeels, but for some unknown reason I have never built a banana using the "in mid-air" method, but I have only been at it for ~55 years or so...