HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:38 AM
Question gravity.
Kane County, Il
Joined Sep 2000
1,585 Posts
Who can print out full size DXF plans?

I downoaded some plans of a plane I want to build and its in DXF format....I called Office Depot and Kinkos,but nodbody prints up DXF's,only jpg,bmp and the like.

Does anyone know of a place to go with a DXF file to have them print you up full size plans?

p/s the plane is an Amp Jr thats going to be modified to be able to use glow or electric and be able to swap back and forth in less than 2 mins.
KMKAZE is offline Find More Posts by KMKAZE
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2002, 11:49 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Check with Fanman.He might be able to help you.KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 17, 2002, 09:04 PM
It's just PLANE silly!
Ontario
Joined Jan 2002
915 Posts
Also try www.aerc.biz

Eric

www.e-zflight.com
balsaman is offline Find More Posts by balsaman
Old Nov 24, 2002, 02:07 PM
Http://www.aerc.biz
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Yes we can plot plans for a very inexpensive price, $0.30 per square foot + shipping which is ussually a few dollars.

John
http://www.aerc.biz
http://www.rc-plans.com
drbird is offline Find More Posts by drbird
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:27 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Go to http://www.kinkos.com/ and download (free) their "File Prep Tool." This installs on your computer and if you have a program that will load the .dxf, you select "Kinkos File Prep Tool" from your printer list. This will regenerate your .dxf (or .dwg, or TurboCAD .tcw for that matter) as a Kinkos ".kdf" file which can be saved on a floppy to take in to Kinkos where they can print it out on 36" wide paper for $2.50, at least here locally.

The beauty of it is that you can view your CAD file onscreen from within the "Prep Tool" and see if there are any font, curve or other weird issues in the .dxf file to correct before taking it in to Kinko's for printing. You will have to make any corrections from within a CAD program however.

HTH
Milton Dickey
DICKEYBIRD is offline Find More Posts by DICKEYBIRD
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:31 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
Really - here in LA I tried to take some plans down to Kinko's and they quoted me over $30! After that we just bought a plotter!

John
Old Nov 27, 2002, 02:20 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drbird
they quoted me over $30! After that we just bought a plotter!
Wow! Must be a west of the MS thing. I have been playing around with their prep tool and the results look great but haven't actually had a print made yet. I may be in for a surprise, eh? Maybe it's $2.50 per inch or something but good 'ol Jason at Kinko's told me $2.50 per each printed plan. I'm going to have one done in the next day or so....I'll let ya'll know.

Sounds like drbird offers an easy solution!
Old Nov 27, 2002, 02:24 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2002
953 Posts
I use Kinko's for all my copying though. Here they will deliver to your door for free. I drop off a few pages and the staple them into booklets and deliver them in a neat little package. Usually same or next day service as well.

John
Old Nov 29, 2002, 02:50 PM
COLLIERVILLE, TN USA
Joined Jun 2000
617 Posts
Kinkos

I took the .kdf file in on floppy to my local Kinko's and had it printed Wed. night. It's beautiful....and $5.46 incl. tax for a 34" x 44" size! The $2.50 + tax I was originally quoted was for a 22" x 34". I had trouble with quite a few fillets and circles but traced over them with multilines and they came out great. I don't know why this happens....I suppose it's because I don't have AutoCAD. At least you can see the problems onscreen in the File Prep Tool before plunkin' your money down for a print. Kinkos also converts the .kdf to a .pdf and puts the .pdf on your floppy for future use.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:31 PM
Senior Member unum multum
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Dec 2001
355 Posts
Get VOLO view express form the Autodesk website. It's free. You can view and plot Autocad files. You should be able to plot an E-size print on your printer in sections.
mudfarmer_mike is offline Find More Posts by mudfarmer_mike
Old Dec 02, 2002, 07:34 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,629 Posts
You can print them yourself if you take the time to learn a little bit of CAD.

I recently did up some plans and, being in a hurry, tried priniting them in strips using the banner print feature on my inkjet. The results were amazing. 3 and 4 page banners that snugged right up to the next higher strip over the whole length to within less than 1/32 of an inch (close enough for me).

You need to run some horizontal lines at 7 1/2 inches apart (the print size before you hit margins) and use the "split entity" tool to split lines and stuff on the intersection of the strip lines. Then cut and past the strips to their own files and print. Tape 'em together and start cutting. Often you only need the front or rear portion of the wing just to line things up so you only need a single strip. Same with the fuselage. Then just print the fin and rudder separatley on a single page.

Just do the wings, fuselage and tail part this way and move all the other bits onto a bunch of 7 1/2 by 10 plates and print them on single pages. It's a lot easier that way.

And it helps if you still have a 1/2 box of old sprocket feed fan fold paper under the desk....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Dec 02, 2002 at 07:37 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2002, 11:17 PM
Belgium (Europe)
Joined Dec 2002
8 Posts
Plotting plans

I'm lucky...I work for a construction company, so I just go to the office and ask one of the CAD-guys in there...it's free!
I suggest you try to do the same...find a company nearby that uses plotters and ask...you might need to try a few places, but with a little luck you end up with a set of proffesionally draw plans.
This is where "knowing someone who knows someone..." comes in handy.
Rudeboy is offline Find More Posts by Rudeboy