HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by KiwiKid, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 06:38 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,014 Posts
Discussion
Indoor F-27 Stryker

Recently threw together an indoor Stryker. Its the fourth one off the production line, but the first for indoor. Built it over two nights. The fins are made of 3mm depron so are one crash wonders, but I just keep a supply of replacements handy, although I haven’t had to use any yet. Just made up a card board template from a standard Stryker fin and can knock out a depron fin in no time. Elevons are 6mm depron with a thin c/f strip c/aed to the trailing edge to give rigidity. I am just using a 280 brushed/geared motor set up as I had three sitting around doing nothing. When these are used up I will replace with an outrunner.

I have also used it very successfully as a ridge soaring glider. The motor is just stick mounted with two screws so comes off in about 30 seconds and then you have a very good ridge soarer. Just fly it on the ridge with a 650 mah battery which would probably last all day.
AUW for indoors is 10.5 oz and it is a barrel of laughs. Need to get some more around so we can try indoor pylon racing. Another benefit is that you can fly it in restricted areas outside which is a plus.

Heres some pics, the white Stryker is the indoor ship, the bomb dropper is a converted std Stryker which is alot of fun. We have competitions at my club field aiming at targets. I also drop a parachute and lollies from it. The "Vulcan" is a roust about park flyer, medium weight and very agile with a brushless outrunner set up, while the "Flanker" is a heavier drag racer set up for maximum speed at the field, powered by a brushless inrunner.

Heres a link to some info posted awhile ago by "blucor basher". He said "Saw Mike Conalley flying a Stryker indoor last season, looked cool, so I did one for myself. 9.8 oz. w/ StrongRC 17T CD Rom motor wound by Mark Greer (member Aeronot), GWS 7035 prop, TP 480 3S. HS-55 servos, T-bird 9 esc. 6mm depron elevons and 3mm depron fins, $19 Stryker B replacement foam body. Flies like a feather, too fast for indoors if you open it up."

http://www.2kool4u.com/stryker/strykervids.shtml

Theres some other interesting Stryker stuff at that site - have a look around.

EDIT 12/07: Just posted a vid of the "Vulcan" hooning around down at the park. Link is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781817

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Apr 07, 2010 at 06:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
Proud member of AAA
Joined May 2007
530 Posts
The canopies look great, especially the last one posted. I really like that paint scheme. Lexan vertical stabs on the one with wheels?

MJ
Michael Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Michael Johnson