Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:36 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,660 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's Bristol M1c

Some months ago, Peter Rake asked would I be interested in doing a prototype build of a Bristol M1c in a size that he knew I liked - around 46 - 48". Naturally I said yes-please without having the faintest idea what an M1c Scout was
As he hadn't started designing it yet, I also agreed to do the AVRO Arrowscout in the interim.

It was fortuitous then, that after many design hassles, Peter got the preliminary cut files over the Atlantic to Manzano Laser, and Vicki and Charlie dispatched a big box of beautiful balsa bits across the Pacific to arrive on my doorstep just as the AVRO is in its closing stages.

A bit of research told me that very few M1cs were built (a hundred or so) because the RFC preferred biplanes. The type did see service in the latter part of the Great War in the East and desert areas where it was reasonably sucessful. I do not think any survive to fly today but several collections have authentic replicas - complete with original rotary engines so reference material is in abundance.

The Bristol is quite an elegant machine with a round-section fuselage and curved wing LE - both of which make the design just a little more challenging than usual (for me anyway). Plus that spinner

So - a few photos of the real thing and the kit contents to whet an appetite or two - maybe. I also ordered one of Vintage1's excellent wooden propeller kits from Charlie as anything else would look terrible - esp. in static shots! The scale prop size is about 12.5" diameter. I'll need a low KV outunner to swing that! As expected, the kit looks to be of excellent quality

Pat (back to the AVRO)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 04:49 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,262 Posts
I was fortunate enough to see the Shuttleworth example fly during a trip to the UK a few years back, which inspired me to build a 55 inch version.

Its a great plane to model because its got a good wing area and just enough dihedral to make it relaxing to fly, but aerobatic.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:14 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
Here's my Bristol M1c. Built from the Aeromodeller plans as a 1/8 F/F model for 1.5cc. I am converting it to R/C with an Art-tech outrunner. Biggest difficulty is opening up the solid formers to run the pushrods through, as I don't want to strip the covering off it.
Covering is silk fuselage with Litespan on the flying surfaces. Fortunately I had made the control surfaces seperate so hinging them won't be a problem.
The scheme I chose for mine was that of the example in the RAF Museum,
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:38 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,660 Posts
Thanks Nev, Scaledown - Kiwi, I also plan on an Art Tech outrunner - your M1 is about the same size as this design I expect. Maybe a bit heavier?

I have photos of the RAF Museum example - I think that is also a replica?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:53 AM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,389 Posts
You're right Pat, they are all replicas, the only original one is the mongrel version with a Gypsy and flat sides thats in a museum somewhere in Oz. I think it was savaged by a guy named Butler and that is is bright red all over?
I haven't got seriously into the conversion yet as I want to finish another couple of models first. Span is 46 1/2". I'll do a weight soon. Good thing about the RAF Museum example is no upper wing roundels!

Nev
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Aug 08, 2007, 08:03 AM
Planes are cool ;)
Bath, UK
Joined Dec 2006
756 Posts
Looking good! I'm scratch building a semi-scale version of one of these birds at the moment. Any info on how to make the spinner would be useful - I haven't got that far yet!

Hughbert
Hughbert is offline Find More Posts by Hughbert
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:27 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Another Rake model that's about to get 'Lynched'...

Not a straight line in sight on this one - should be interesting to see how you do it. Khaki Litespan too, for a change!!!

A bell rang in my head and I checked my reference books and found a big close-up photo of the front of a Bristol M1c, which I'm sure you'll find useful for panel detail, etc ... I'll scan it for you and put it up (when I've re-organised my pc desk so the darn thing is accessible - it's a thick book!!)

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Last edited by Redbaron25; Aug 08, 2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:16 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
Unless there's something specific that Pat needs, I think we have detail shots of this one pretty much covered. Along with the 'suggestion' that this might make a good model, Tony Dowdeswell also sent a disc of shots taken at Old Warden. Shots like these -
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 09, 2007, 06:28 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,660 Posts
Certainly is plenty of detail on a few specific aircraft around.
I have a couple of photos of the cockpit - very light on instruments and lots of woodwork! If anyone has ANY details of an M1 cockpit, I'd love to see it!

Also am unsure of the PC12 finish on the Shuttleworth machine - I read on a plastic modeling forum that Tamiya Flat Brown is close. I bought some and it certainly is similar in colour - but will not have that 'freshly painted' look of the replica.

Looking forward to making a start on this.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:52 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
It took me 20 mins to dig my scanner from out of it's hidey- hole in the pc desk, so you're going to get this pic whether you like it or not!

It's actually a well-detailed pic, which I've lightened and sharpened and if nothing else, it'll show you how big your pilot needs to be...and we expect to see deflectors on your propeller blades too...

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:24 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,545 Posts
Except that's the Morane Saulnier N (?) "Bullet", which needed the bullet deflectors.

The M1 came later in the war, after synchronizers were in wide use.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
Most definitely an MS N. A bit like this one. Except somewhat bigger, of course.

Get the cowl on the Mic sorted out and maybe I'll consider a similar size MS N - with similar construction.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Aug 09, 2007, 02:16 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Oh hell - you're right, you can even see the 'MS' plate on the side of it. I can only put it down to overwork...hang on, I don't work now! Sorry Pat - it's still a good pic though for any designers who may be on the thread

Steve (suitably ashamed)
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:34 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,660 Posts
Dont worry Steve - when Pete asked if I'd be interested I thought the Bristol was just an MS L built under licence - it looked superficially the same. Apart from pointed intead of blunt spinner, straight V curved wings, ailerons V wing warping, early V late war................

Nice MS picture anyway!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2007, 03:15 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,660 Posts
I think it's around the right way!

I haven't really started this build yet - honestly
I just had some epoxy left over from a job on the Avro and this was the closest job to hand!

I already had a Vintage prop kit ready to assemble, the centre holes drilled 4mm for the bell motor shaft and so here it is!

The scale size is about 12.5" diameter so 1/2" needs trimming off each tip before I start whittling. The boss thicknes is about 1/8" too thick so a bit will get shaved off later.

The motor is a cheap bell outrunner from EBAY of 750Kv - should be OK on the 12.5" prop. I have run my Rake Fokker EIII on this motor with an APC slow-fly 12" before with no problems.

Sadly, the photos of the prototype for this build show the prop to be painted - some poets licence may creep in here!

Pat
RCG Plus Member