HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:24 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Discussion
Warbird Suggestions (P-51's, Corsair's, P-47's, etc.)

I'm not ready for a Warbird yet, but it's never too early to make plans!

What I want is a cool looking Warbird (P-51, Corsair, P-47, etc.) with retracts. With a maximum wingspan of about 50 inches. And it has to be scale looking. So balsa is a plus... but I would like foam ones that look scale, too.

So, I want a scale Warbird with retracts no bigger than a 50 inch wingspan.

Any suggestions, comments, ect. will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:31 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
If you've never flown a low wing warbird before, I'd suggest flying something not as tricked out to start with just to get comfortable. Any GWS warbird would do well, especially the Corsair. They are also making some larger planes(like the P-40 at 39" ws) that would be good to go with before building something more complex(retracts...etc).

Hyperion makes a P-51, Spitfire and a Hayate .....all with retracts and are at 48" wingspan roughly. Price is usually 199 and they are made mostly from Fiberglass(fuselage) and balsa(wings and tail feathers).

E-flite makes a foam P-47 that flies very well and could be fitted with retracts if you put some thought in it. I am sure someone did it in the E-flite P-47 threads.

Kyosho has some 55" planes that would work well and can be fitted with retracts, but are over the 50" size you stated.

Sureflight has foam warbirds in the 50" size. Retracts could be fitted.

Ultrafly has a P-51(smaller then 50" though) and comes with retracts and flaps. it is a foam model.
They also have a FW-190 made from balsa and its bigger.

GWS as well as E-flite has P-38's at 48" wingspan. It is possible to put retracts in them with some work
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:46 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I'm reworking a used and abused GWS P-38..Its an awesome looking plane and is close to the 50'' requirment..I recently acquired a GWS Zero and it is a super plane!..Best flying warbird I have flown to date..Best because its a stable predictable airframe unlike the 2 GWS spitfires that I tried..The spit is just too darn fast and is hard to land..on asphalt that is..if you land no gear on grass then no prob with the spit..I also have the corsair but have not set it up yet..Is supposed to be the best all around flier..well see...here is a CWB P-40 ROG video..the only one here at rc_groups!
ROG Cox War Bird (0 min 17 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Aug 08, 2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:10 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think i'm going to take kahloq's advice and get a GWS Warbird or something similar before I get a nice Warbird with retracts. I do like that GWS Zero, modfly... does the stock one look like that, or did you do modifications to it.

Anyway, anymore suggestions, comments, ect. would be great!

Thanks again!

Bill
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:39 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
no..its bone stock on the outside..comes painted..just apply decals..the picture I posted does no justice to this plane..OK..the wheels are not stock..

Another plane you should consider is the E-flite P-47..Its LARGE and in charge!
Ok..here is a e-flite P47-D video with a couple ROG and landings on a asphalt parking lot......
e-flight P47 ROG and Landing on pavement (1 min 23 sec)

just ignore that TM-400 at the end I dont know how that got in this video
Last edited by modfly; Aug 08, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 09:50 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,453 Posts
You say your not ready for a warbird but I beg to differ... if you can fly aelirons you can fly the PZ Spitfire... its a RTF but on a 3s 2100 lipo (which you will reuse on all your warbirds later... EFlite P47, and all the GWS warbirds so its a solid investment)... The SPit is a pblast to fly and once you fly her you will have been bitten by the warbird bug and never will look back.

It has several advantages over the other PZ warbirds... mainly the solid foam wing... it was my first warbird and I modded it to a BL outrunner and she will now hang with my Stryker C... she lacks retracts but she is a belly flopper so she still looks cool in the air... its a very good first warbird and once you get comfortable with her... the sky is your limit on most warbirds... my GWS ME 109 had a tip stall issue so once you started to land you were committed... this Spit is far more forgiving.... I enjoy it more then my others (GWS P-38, EFlite P-47, Alfa P-51, GWS A-10, and my GWS ME 109 (RIP), and 3 cox warbirds)

A buddy at the field has been flyin for about 8 months (Super Cub) and a little aeliron experience with the WD4 and bought him the PZ SPit after watching me fly it... needless to say he is having a blast with it... it glides VERY WELL... almost like the stryker so its easy to dead stick land her and slow her down.

I have videos posted at this link... both stock and modded...

www.myspace.com/rcihcc
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
no..its bone stock on the outside..comes painted..just apply decals..the picture I posted does no justice to this plane..OK..the wheels are not stock..
Oh yeah, I knew the wheels weren't stock, because every GWS airplane comes with those ''funky'' skinny plastic wheels...

But it isn't hard to put different wheels on (I did that to my GWS Beaver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Another plane you should consider is the E-flite P-47..Its LARGE and in charge!
Ok..here is a e-flite P47-D video with a couple ROG and landings on a asphalt parking lot......
Cool video. I'll have to some research about that plane. It looks like it flies good.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATIS
You say your not ready for a warbird but I beg to differ... if you can fly aelirons you can fly the PZ Spitfire... its a RTF but on a 3s 2100 lipo (which you will reuse on all your warbirds later... EFlite P47, and all the GWS warbirds so its a solid investment)... The SPit is a pblast to fly and once you fly her you will have been bitten by the warbird bug and never will look back.

It has several advantages over the other PZ warbirds... mainly the solid foam wing... it was my first warbird and I modded it to a BL outrunner and she will now hang with my Stryker C... she lacks retracts but she is a belly flopper so she still looks cool in the air... its a very good first warbird and once you get comfortable with her... the sky is your limit on most warbirds... my GWS ME 109 had a tip stall issue so once you started to land you were committed... this Spit is far more forgiving.... I enjoy it more then my others (GWS P-38, EFlite P-47, Alfa P-51, GWS A-10, and my GWS ME 109 (RIP), and 3 cox warbirds)

A buddy at the field has been flyin for about 8 months (Super Cub) and a little aeliron experience with the WD4 and bought him the PZ SPit after watching me fly it... needless to say he is having a blast with it... it glides VERY WELL... almost like the stryker so its easy to dead stick land her and slow her down.

I have videos posted at this link... both stock and modded...

www.myspace.com/rcihcc
Thanks for the suggestion ATIS... The PZ Spitfire sounds like a great plane. Since it's RTF, is the motor and ESC any good?

Thanks,

Bill
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:33 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
I'm sure ATIS will reply with more data..I recently held a PZ spitfire in my hands while the owner fired it up so i could get a feel for the thrust..it was powerful!..this plane is very durable and well built..has a thin lexan shell I think and is not just foam..nice looking plane and its LARGE!...maybe a bit bigger than the E-flite P-47..Its setup for ni-mh battery's 8cell I think so the ESC has no Lipo LVC...The old guy that owns it says its an excellent flier..The thing I did not like was no landing gear as its setup as a belly flooper...No rudder either..so would be a problem to setup with LG..I personally prefer LG on a plane as ROG and landing is half the fun IMO..
Old Aug 08, 2007, 02:16 PM
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
Can anyone help me out. I just ordered a GWS Zero and want to put the power set up I had in my GWS Beaver. The manual on the GWS states that for the engine mount you have to angle it down and cut the balsa stick 6mm on the back. Has anyone at all had trouble with the engine mount on the zero being wrong so that when you throttle up the plane just goes straight uo instead of flying straight ahead? I plan on using a Himax 400 brushless with a CC ESC. weight is a little different, but I would rather be nose heavy than tail heavy with this plane. Thanks for the help
puerto rico is offline Find More Posts by puerto rico
Old Aug 08, 2007, 02:24 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,453 Posts
The PZ Spitfire is foam with a "plastic" coating that is similar to think monocoat (like on a balsa plane). The no rudder or LG is no concern as she will do loops, rolls, inverted, Split S's and such with no problems... It comes with a brushed 480 in a GB... and the ESC can handle a 3s 2100 lipo... I flew mine on a TP 3S 2100 lipo for over 25 flights with no problems... then upgraded to a 480 BL outrunner for added fun.

The Spit is about the same size as the EFlite P-47....

The Spit will glide a long way with no inputs... is very stable, and can slow down if you need her too... LG on it would be an issue as the glide is soo long that I find myself doing a long flare to bleed speed... and with no LG she can land on any length grass with no problems... and she hand launchs very easily... easier then the PZ P-51.

Look at the videos and you will see just how easy/fun she is... I just toss her into the air.. no 3 quick steps and heave like my A-10....

here is a link to the Spit... it states it is 3s compatable...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1700
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:10 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerto rico
Can anyone help me out. I just ordered a GWS Zero and want to put the power set up I had in my GWS Beaver. The manual on the GWS states that for the engine mount you have to angle it down and cut the balsa stick 6mm on the back. Has anyone at all had trouble with the engine mount on the zero being wrong so that when you throttle up the plane just goes straight uo instead of flying straight ahead? I plan on using a Himax 400 brushless with a CC ESC. weight is a little different, but I would rather be nose heavy than tail heavy with this plane. Thanks for the help
The Zero I have was built by someone else..they had the stick mount square in the bore which is a no no..after I crashed it due to radio lock out..I rebuilt with right and down thrust on the stick mount..This makes the plane incredibly stable for a warbird..I can zoom full throttle and the plane stays strait ahead..before it seemed touchy to throttle..so yes..add right and down thrust...
Last edited by modfly; Aug 08, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 03:22 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,836 Posts
Wheh you want retract go to Laser Arts and their really nice P-51. Yes, it is a kit, sorry.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:02 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. I think i'm going to get a GWS Zero or a PZ Spitfire. And then after I feel comfortable flying one of them, i'm going to get a more expensive Warbird with retracts and all that good stuff.
But for now, i'm going to start flying more often and get some aileron practice in. I think i'm going to get an E-Flite Mini Pulse and then i'll get a Warbird after I fly the Mini Pulse for a while. So, i'll probably be flying Warbirds with retracts next summer.

Bill
Old Aug 08, 2007, 05:28 PM
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
Modfly can you tell me how much down and right thrust in mm did you use? The manual says 6mm in the back and 5mm in the front, but this seems to little with what i have read. I do not want to crash this bird the very first flight out. This kit is not hard to build but it does take some time to do properly and I do not want to loose all that building time in 15 seconds.
puerto rico is offline Find More Posts by puerto rico