Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:07 PM
XE521
Ottobrunn/Munich, Germany
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Discussion
LAheli C30 Kit.

Hi all,

it looks like someone is half way happy with his C30, see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...29#post7941721

I'm AMAZED with this kit, amazed at the total lack of LA's QA/QC. The premounting of items on and in the fuse leave a very bad taste in the mouth.

Photo 1 shows the incorrect location of the motor mount.
Photos 2, 3, and 4 show the incorrect location of the framework, it's plain to see that the farame isn't slightly out of line. Cutouts and appertures X and Y should match.

To relocate the frame may well result in damage to the fuse, it's located within the fuse so it can't be pulled out only twisted. Have you ever tried removing an item that's glued to foam?

And relocatiing the motor mount will also be a major problem as the material tapers sharply at this point. Removing it is no great problem, but what do I attach it to?

More to come

Karl.
XE521 is offline Find More Posts by XE521
Last edited by XE521; Aug 07, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:59 PM
XE521
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Part 2 of a Tale of Misery.

The fuse arrived damaged, there is no damage to the box, so the damage must have occured at the factory.

The quality of the fuse leaves a lot to be desired, creases on both sides of the fuse and on the left side of the lower fin.

Photos 1, 2, and 3 show the damage to the lower fin.
Photos 4 and 5 show production problems and a total lack of QA/QC.

I have come to the conclusion that I have received a reject fuse or it's a Monday morning/Friday afternoon product. That LA can allow the release of such a product is beyond my comprehension, and doesn't say much for their QA/QC.

More to come, but I need to scan some material first.

Karl
Last edited by XE521; Aug 07, 2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
You are joking? right?

Hi Karl,

It looks like a Zeppelin that has been to Mach 1!!

You must be bitterly disapointed with the completely unacceptable state of your kit! You must have some consumer protection within the EC.
If I had anything to do with LaHeli, I would want to put that right, straight away.
It is possible that LaHeli is not aware of this problem, it could be a sub-contractor/partner fault?
Maybe you did not make the bed good enough???
I guess the way forward is to contact them, and see what they will do to fix it for you. If you don't get good service, I for one will certainly not support them. There is a Vendors forum in RCGroups, please let all of us 165,654 active RCgroup online modelers know how it goes.
I hope you have good luck and get a proper replacement (Free of all costs) for your hard earned money.
regards
Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Last edited by rotorheid; Aug 08, 2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 04:50 AM
Bavaria, about 45km from Neuschwanstein-Castle
Joined Nov 2006
222 Posts
Hello Karl,

what's about making a mould of the fuselage, and then laminating it with thin epoxy? So one can have a lightweight epoxy fus instead of the damaged Depron.

(Thank you for the nice evening at phone! Want to do it again). Ernst
FatBeech is offline Find More Posts by FatBeech
Old Aug 08, 2007, 08:05 PM
XE521
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
@ Al,

Thanks mate for your kind words of support, to put it mildly I'm more than a little . As I said before I think this is a Monday/Friday jobber as I haven't heard of any other complaints concerning this subject.

In Germany I have the right to return the model within one month, no questions asked. I have no idea what the EU law is, maybe someone who reads this knows, if they do please contact me.

Well as old Will Shake supposedly said "Here we go again"
I was in contact with LAheli concerning the problem and I'm back to the "make your bed" stage. Only this time they tell me "We are sorry but the company only sell hellies with color", great!, but I didn't ask them anything about paint, colour, or hellis. Also they would like to know who bought the model. They do, however, appear to be ameanable

Well I've stocked up with ciggies, a long line of steaming mugs of tea, and a copy of "The Complete Works of Will Shake" and just see how this thing works out. I think I'll start with "A Midsummer Night's Dream" , on the other hand I might just make my bed again (and go for a ziz).

Quote:
It is possible that LaHeli is not aware of this problem, it could be a sub-contractor/partner fault?

You might be right concerning this point, but this doesn't excuse their own QA/QC bodies, that is if they have any.

Well the money wasn't really hard earned , but it is a hefty knock on my pension.

Well mate, keep up the good humour, it's only thing that keeps me going.

Regards.

Karl.

@ Ernst.

Servus,

That's not a bad idea, but I'm one of these strange and peculiar people who expect to receive what he paid for. The other problem is, as I told you on the phone, I have too many irons in the fire. I started collecting information on the C30 with the intention of building a 1/6 scale model a long time before LAheli brought their model out. I shelved the project, when the Rotoshape hit the market, in favour of leaning to fly a gyro. So to make a mould and glass fuse is rather counter productive, I might as well take my project back off the shelf and utilize the time to finish this job.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

Karl.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:03 PM
XE521
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Part III

Well today is Christ's Heavenly Drive (free translation from the German).

Good news, LAheli have supplied a replacement fuse and all parts are correctly located, The fuse still has a crease in it, but it is hardly noticable. Plus a very apologetic e-mail quoting that they will have to take up this subject with the supplier.
Quote from Al:
Seeing that both LA and FSK have their logos on the box there is no way of knowing who does the final packing or who to send the bomb to.

Well I'll get onto Part III.

The first two photos show the first page of the building instructions.
Instruction #3, see second photo, quotes "After final assembly of motor, glue in the exhaust pipes (I)". This instruction lead me into a tizwas, coz eye ain't scene enyfing lyk id in fotoes. I think that LA are having a bit of fun with us. Don't be fooled by this instruction, item (I) is not an exhaust pipe but the control column (or should I say control pole ), see third photo.

The rest of the kit appears to be of good quality, and even though the instructions are not the best of translations they are usable.

Regards.

Karl.

Edit: Fogot "fotoes".
Last edited by XE521; Aug 15, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Karl,

Glad you got a replacement for your damaged parts, and that LaHeli are looking into the quality matter. There is a hole in the road outside my house, some workmen are looking into that! I look forward to more reports from you and the Laheli Cierva, it certainly looks as if some one has worked very hard to get the scale details done.
regards,
Al(T)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
XE521
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Hi At(T),

I think they have gone overboard with the scale business. Seeing as it's listed as semi-scale it seems pointless mounting minute rivets sorry nail heads on the fuse. They are so small they can only be seen when the lighting hits from the right angle.

Which leads me to ask, did they use nails on the originals? On all the photos that I've seen of the C30, including close-ups (very close-ups ), there is no uneven surface, i.e. nail, rivets, etc. Gotta ask Emilio about this one.

Regards. Karl.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Karl,

On aeroplanes of that era, the fabric (Madapolam or Irish linnen) would be sown or held into wood or alloy channels with clips and then fabric tape doped over. However some times wooden strips were "nailed" with Brads, copper nails, to secure the fabric and then doped over. I know little of Spanish aircraft construction methods.
regards,
Al(T)
Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:52 PM
XE521
Joined May 2005
50 Posts
Hi Al(T)

took at while to shoot a reasonable pic of the fuse (pic 1)

Found some of the others that I have (2, 3, and 4). No. 4 is a Spanish kite, but also a repo.

Dunno but the originals appear to be pretty smooth to me.

Regards. Karl.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
85 Posts
Hello,
I would like to share with you some snaps that I took during the building process of my Cierva kit.
I started with the wacuum formed parts, just followed the building manual. I used Humbrol colors for all the plastic parts. Interesting is that the motor consists of 48 parts. I think it looks like very realistic.
rostap is offline Find More Posts by rostap
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:59 PM
Joined Nov 2004
85 Posts
In the next step I glued rotor pylon and elevator. During this step I also applied the decals because I think it is better to put them on the model now than at the end as described in the manual.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:04 PM
Joined Nov 2004
85 Posts
In the thirdt step I glued the undercarriage. It was not so easy to keep the right geometry because there is no picture in the manual. But I found a good drawing on the internet and with this little help all the work was very easy.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2004
85 Posts
I also added the round tips to the rotor blades to have the rotor more scale look.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 01:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
85 Posts
To put rotor and rotor head together was very easy work. Before I screwed rotor blades to the rotor I balanced all the rotor blades to have the CoG in the same place and to have the same weight.
When the rotor blades were monted to the rotor, I balanced also the whole rotor.