HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2007, 05:55 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Discussion
Align Trex450 Agusta A-109 glass fuse

Anybody else got one of these yet? Mine arrived yesterday, and I am hoping to fit Micro Air retracts.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:04 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
Please post up some pics of your build! I just heard about this, and I might just build a second TRex for one.
Rodan is offline Find More Posts by Rodan
Old Aug 09, 2007, 07:07 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Will do. First impressions are very positive, as the glasswork is great, with no obvious flaws. Surface detail is comprehensive, although a little exaggerated. The Trex mechanics are bolted on to a lite-ply "ladder" frame which extends forward to support the nosewheel. Photos coming soon! It looks very nice though!

I should temper that comment by saying that I am waiting for a set of Micro-Air retracts, so until that arrives, I can't fully proceed.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 08:05 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Well u can finish the rest first while waiting for the retractable.

SH
Super_Hornet is offline Find More Posts by Super_Hornet
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:58 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Hornet
I'm waiting for mine to arrive.

Well u can finish the rest first while waiting for the retractable.

SH
Believe me, I really want to, but the mains fit behind the mechanics, and the lite-ply chassis will need modifying to provide strong enough mounts for the U/C, plus the fuse will need cutting out there, so I think I will need to avoid glueing the chassis in until I sort all that out.

I am dithering about how best to allow access for battery changing though, as the instructions are quite vague, hinting that you need to tape the front windscreen in, and repeat every time you change a battery (I don't believe in charging LiPos in the airframe).

The LHS suggested I cut the fuse in half (like the Darthk one is done), but I am hesitant to run a Dremel cutting disc through it, and then add weight making a good attachment method.

So any suggestions will be most welcome!

Here is a photo of the fuse and internal chassis. Second photo is a cropped close-up to show surface detail. I am pleased that Align have chosen to model something other than Jetrangers and Hughes 500 (the other offering is the EC-145, but it looks odd without a fenestron tail rotor)
Last edited by Tonystott; Aug 10, 2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:29 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
I would recommend NOT TO CUT into half. If u do that, it will lost the strength/rigidness of the scale body. Rigid scale body is better...in my opinion.

Maybe u can post the reference picture of the retractable as well.

EDIT: Is the top part near the windshield (the 4 screws on each side) detachable?

SH
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:19 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Hornet
I would recommend NOT TO CUT into half. If u do that, it will lost the strength/rigidness of the scale body. Rigid scale body is better...in my opinion.

Maybe u can post the reference picture of the retractable as well.

EDIT: Is the top part near the windshield (the 4 screws on each side) detachable?

SH
I have only got a catalogue pic of the retracts (attached). Yes the top (cockpit roof) part is attached with 8 screws, so that the heli mechanics can be inserted intact. This of course means that the windshield also has to be removable, and this is the dilemma... By definition, the windshield is somewhat flexible, and will need attaching all round its edge if it is to look neat, but this would make easy removal for battery changing difficult. there is a large opening below the cockpit, but this will be occupied by the nosewheel using, so access is a no-no there as well.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
You might be able to 'section' the nose so it's removable, maybe behind the windscreen frame in front of the forward door? This is how many scale fuses are designed. I definitely would not cut it in half down the middle!

Now we just need someone to market (I know SuperHornet has made them!) a 4 blade head for the TRex...

BTW does anyone have a link for these fuses? I have had trouble finding info...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2004
1,830 Posts
Tonystott... I wonder how u intend to put/hide the air cylinder tank in that heli. What about using some very very slow servo instead?

Rodan.. U try to find the scale specification? Try Align website:
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=1848
http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product...oducts_id=1849
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:35 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,177 Posts
Rodan,
The intention was never to cut the fuse down the middle, but across, behind the windscreen, but Darthdrk has advised against it, and I don't have the confidence that I could do a neat enough cut. So I am now thinking of how to make the windscreen removable (maybe using those tiny strong neodyn (sp?) magnets).

As for locations of dealers, I understand www.rchover.com has some, but as Align products, no doubt others will soon stock them.

Super Hornet, I believe there will be enough room to fit the air cylinder alongside the mechanics. I think that cylinder is only about 25mm wide, given that the retract units are 50mm long and 9mm high (other photos attached)

Here is a link
http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...roducts_id/330

The AUW will be greater than 800g, but I am working on the fact that because the legs will be very short (and landings will hopefully be very gentle!) the U/C will be up to the job if mounted well.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:53 PM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
I did find the RC Hover page, but they had very little info, and other US vendors don't seem to have them yet (I'm surprised Horizon doesn't). Thanks for the Align.tw link! It had more pics and info...
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
coolman
huh?
Joined Dec 2004
83 Posts
Hey.

did you get the yellow one??!! I got it. it flies excellent. Im working on the white one now.

Hey. paint the inside with a paint brush. It looks SOO much better. beautiful glass work.
airplanebuilder is offline Find More Posts by airplanebuilder
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
coolman
huh?
Joined Dec 2004
83 Posts
Here's mine.

Here it is.
airplanebuilder is offline Find More Posts by airplanebuilder
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:06 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
Hate seeing threads like this as they end up costing me money. My Trex is down after a crash, so I figured I might as well order the 109 fuselage to add to the repair. I'll probably do it up as an Agusta 119 Koala so that I can use normal landing gear.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Aug 14, 2007, 08:23 AM
Rotor madness!
Northern AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,120 Posts
I thought about that, but the A119 is significantly different than the A109... Take a look at the three views and you'll see that the fuselage profile is very different...

I sure wish they'd done an AS350... the tail is on the correct side, and a three blade head is now available for the TRex...