HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:15 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
firstshirt,

If you’ve got an ‘E’ size flatbed, that knock on your door is me !!!

“”I chose "Page Scaling" = "None" and left "Auto-Rotate and Center" unchecked.
Do I need to choose "Auto-Rotate and Center?" (Tell it yes?) Do anything different on "Page Scaling?"” firstshirt

I do all the above plus…my ‘version7’ has a box “choose paper size by PDF page size” I check BUT don’t know if that makes any difference. From that same ‘window drop’ menu click ‘properties’ (upper right corner), some printers allow adjustments such as ‘margin size’ or ‘borderless printing’.

Best I can do with my 8.5 X 11 printer and Adobe leaves a 3/16 inch border not printed…
Maybe try a ‘sharpie’? With my ‘stand off scale’ models you can’t that gap from your house.

“”Do I need to choose "Auto-Rotate and Center?" (Tell it yes?) Do anything different on "Page Scaling?"”

May try this, from Adobe ‘Edit’ menu copy each page to the clipboard then save as a bmp image to your image processor folder. Some image processors allow borderless printing. Doing a document this size would be very time consuming.

I’m hopeful some of the guys here can tell us a better/quicker method :>)

Thanks for sharing :>)
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:21 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
I've had good luck 'printing' a large image from MS-Paint (comes w/windows, right click on the file in file explorer and it should be on the 'open with' menu) to the 'PDF Creator' printer driver. That is a free pseudo printer that saves whatever is printed to it into PDF.
Then one can print the resulting PDF to the normal color printer and it will be tiled with borders, but paint adjusts the image content to account for the borders.

The tiled bird-dog above was created with this method.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 14, 2007, 06:55 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
MS showed us how to use TILEPRINT , and it's so easy ...we have to find better photos to scan ,so they don't pixelate(go fuzzy) so bad when enlarged...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Gramps, Thanks so much. I'll play around with that and see what I can do. Appreciate your help!

GPW, I have Tileprint and it works great. Yep, I think we'd need a high quality single sheet pdf to begin with in order to make it work. That would be a great solution since we could then scale it to any size we wanted.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm Back I think
USA, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2005
69 Posts
I drew this in adobe illustrator a couple years ago. To bad I lost all my programs and files and didnt keep working on this stuff, I might have been good at it by now lol p39
CloudPatrol is offline Find More Posts by CloudPatrol
Last edited by CloudPatrol; Aug 14, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:43 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
That's very good. Don't see too many aircobra's. Are the wings lost as well?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm Back I think
USA, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2005
69 Posts
Yea they are, I remember building the plane with some spit fire wings and never flew it.
While walking down memory lane I found this short 2 page thread I started http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429711. I see you were there lol
Last edited by CloudPatrol; Aug 14, 2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: I'm the edit King
Old Aug 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
Maybe someone will pick up where you left off. I've a ME-109 in process.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm Back I think
USA, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2005
69 Posts
I doubt it. The plane was personalized with my freq. number and name for air combat. And without the right view, the words and number would be backwards
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2002
4,494 Posts
Good point.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Stick up a 3 view. Would likely have to be done from scratch as the shading will be hard to duplicate. The words and numbers is an easy photoshop fix though.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
I did however finish the "Slipstream" this weekend. Had some motor issues but the pane flew well and looks to be a good design to mount my Stars-N-Stripes onto.

That will take a bit of work to finish though. In the Mean time here is the body I've drawn up to mount it on.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:44 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,064 Posts
If we start with a real good photo , it'll end Up looking like the real thing ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
A few what could be stupid questions or thoughts...

Has anybody ever heard of somebody taking a real photo of a plane and blowing that up to make prints and spray glue on? I've been kicking around that idea for a while but don't know if it's workable. A neat little aspect of it would be you could take a picture of a real plane with a rich history, name and all, to duplicate.

My other question revolves around the TA-183 color print. I'm getting near (one to two weeks or so) to the build date for this bird. As said, trying to blow up the beautiful color print somebody has done to roughly a 3' wingspan causes it to blur big time. If I took a 5 megapixel digital picture of the print with my camcorder and then attempted to blow that up in size, would I still get as bad of a blur?

Last option: Since some of you seem to have experience at cleaning up prints, what's the process of doing so? Are you starting from scratch, or somehow "grabbing" a "sample" of the original unblurred print and then using that to brush out the blown up image?
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Any picutres will likely have some serious aspect issues which can and often will through off the balance of the plane. If you have a top and side view though you can blow up the 3view to the size of the plane to be built. After that take you picutre and "strech" it to match the 3view. This isn't too difficult if you are good with photoshop but it will require a very high quality picture or it will be very grainy.

What I find works best is to do the above mentioned but then use either photoshop or illustrator to redraw the plane in it's entirety. That requires a fair bit of photoshop or illustrator skill but there are enough sites out there that you can learn how to do that simply by going though enough tutorials. I did, by the time I finally took classes on them it was mainly a review.