Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
I'm Back I think
USA, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2005
69 Posts
Oh my, I have been gone for 2 years and forgot every thing I was learning about flying and building these things
CloudPatrol is offline Find More Posts by CloudPatrol
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRINGFLY
I'm going to play with the tyvek and fanfold this weekend and see what it does. I'm sure you would still need some type of spar though. Your wing would probabaly never tear off but once you get a crease in the foam it will still bend over even with the tyvek. Still bends like paper.
Stringfly <>+++++
So, why not fabricate the spar with Tyvek and FFF?
Cheers,
Bill Segraves
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:42 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
tyvek and foam

A shot of the tyvek printed plane. I did try some pieces laminated on fan fold and depron. Boy, it adds tons of stength. Very hard to bend or flex. Will see what it does on the 36" wing. I may be able to get away without much of a spar. The tyvek is .01 thick and regular paper is about .004 so it is heavier but amazingly strong. Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,335 Posts
That's cool!
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MaxStone 8 FPV - 8-9-2014
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:27 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
MyDigitalParadis, These are beautiful planes. Very tempting. Am I right in thinking that you're flying with ailerons/elevator/throttle--no rudder? Thanks. Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:52 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Stringfly,
How much does it cost to print something that size on Tyvek?
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,586 Posts
printing....

Well.... I get um printed at work for free..
Have laminted one side and cut out. Now I cut out the other side so I can register it when I glue it down. I like to spray on the glue and wait a few minutes until it gets just tacky. Then carefully align it. You can also put down a couple of sheets of wax paper, carefully align it and remove half of the wax paper, press down, then remove the other half.
Stringfly <>++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
Oshkosh WI
Joined Mar 2004
608 Posts
Wow, I can't believe these things are still going. I just pulled the servos out of the last of the originals I had. Kinda makes me want to put them back in. Good to see their still being enjoyed.
ldammann is offline Find More Posts by ldammann
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:35 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
MyDigitalParadis, These are beautiful planes. Very tempting. Am I right in thinking that you're flying with ailerons/elevator/throttle--no rudder? Thanks. Pat

Rudder and all on my planes but you can skip if you prefer.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:42 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldammann
Wow, I can't believe these things are still going. I just pulled the servos out of the last of the originals I had. Kinda makes me want to put them back in. Good to see their still being enjoyed.

Often it just takes a bit of nostalgia to bring something back although time permitting I plan to add new plans to this line.

I finished test flying my new plan design this weekend and while it is nothing fancy it is my own design that I can feel comfortable sharing designes on and releasing new print designs without stepping on anyone's toes. I'm hoping to be able to release my Stars-N-Stripes design for those of us in the states that would like a patriotic design.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:58 AM
Oshkosh WI
Joined Mar 2004
608 Posts
Quote:
I never used rudder on any of mine.
ldammann is offline Find More Posts by ldammann
Old Aug 13, 2007, 05:24 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
I just love this printed war bird finishing technique.
Will probably try at least one ‘printed finish’ scheme next, thanks for sharing…

Most of my first build planes, like the Hots, Illusion and Amosmoses did not start life with a rudder servo. Just cock aileron and pull up elevator at the same time. I am working on a new build right now that will not have a rudder and probable (know more after chuck glide test) start life with an elevator servo:>)

p.s. probably the stars-n-stripes
tnx agn
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Aug 13, 2007, 09:58 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Guys, thanks for steering me through the rudder issue.

I printed the Avenger out today on a color laser, but I think I must have had one of the settings wrong on the Adobe print menu. I chose "Page Scaling" = "None" and left "Auto-Rotate and Center" unchecked.

Do I need to choose "Auto-Rotate and Center?" (Tell it yes?) Do anything different on "Page Scaling?"

Thanks again! This is really neat stuff!

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:55 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Glad you guys like the Tyvek , tough stuff ... been available for a long time .. we used to cover EPS wings with it ...BF ... before Fanfold...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:59 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
Nope, that should do it.

Quote:
Guys, thanks for steering me through the rudder issue.

I printed the Avenger out today on a color laser, but I think I must have had one of the settings wrong on the Adobe print menu. I chose "Page Scaling" = "None" and left "Auto-Rotate and Center" unchecked.

Do I need to choose "Auto-Rotate and Center?" (Tell it yes?) Do anything different on "Page Scaling?"

Thanks again! This is really neat stuff!

Pat
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus