HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2007, 11:40 AM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis
This is a much shrunk version of my latest effort based on one of my favorite planes. I'm working on an origional plane design though before I release The design in general.
Well I've finished my new Slipstream design and am going to flight test it this weekend. If all goes well I'll Start applying my Stars-N-Stripes to it next week. If nothing goes wrong the Stars-N-Stipes will be ready for release next week. No I'm not that fast at designing planes I started this weeks ago it's just this thread that motivated me to get it finished.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2007, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis
Critterhunter is that a profile or EDF build you are applying the 183 to?

Kdahlhuas what size are you printing that Birddog to? Looks like a sweet pattern plane.
I'll be just profiling it (with a 2" thick fuse) like I did with the P51, and plan to run a pusher prop setup and not an EDF. It's going to be tricky to get a prop to clear the verticle stab boom but I can always notch that if needed. Plus, I'm planning on a high k/v of around 3000, so the prop should be around 4.5" long or so. If and when I ever do build my first EDF setup, I think this will be the perfect platform to strap it on.

Kdahlhuas, nice build!
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:14 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
What glue are you guys using to keep the paper on?
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:21 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,493 Posts
Kram,

The only one that works for me is 3M 77 Spray Glue.

K
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:34 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
584 Posts
Do not use any other. I've tried several it is the only one that seams to work well

Spray both foam and paper, let sit a few seconds to start to get tacky and the bond will be much stronger than just spraying and sticking.

I also tend to use clear packing tape on the leading edges although that will start to show as the inks start to fade.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:37 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,493 Posts
I"ll strongly second MDP's statement. Anything else I've tried as well has failed miserably.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 09, 2007, 03:39 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Thanks to you all
Mark
Old Aug 10, 2007, 09:10 AM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
I printed out the Avenger on white Tyvek with a 36 inch span. Will let you know how it goes. I may bond it to 6mm Depron or fanfold. Sure would love a Dauntless if anyone has one. Thanks for the prints. Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Aug 10, 2007, 11:15 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
How did you print onto tyvek? I thought it is like fabric?
Mark
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
tyvek

We use a stiffer tyvek at work for durable posters. Big roll, can print up to 36 inches wide. Stuff is almost indestructable !!!. Send me a file and I'll print it for ya..........
Stringfly <>+++++
Old Aug 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Cool sounds like the right thing to use. I think you might be on to something. Let me see what I can come up with, what format do you need it in?
Mark
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
.pdf files are the easiest to use for the graphics dept.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Yes, I was just given some Tyvek paper to play with a few weeks ago. I use Tyvek tape in place of clear on my foamies (found in the insulation section of home improvement stores...sticks WAY better to foam), but had never heard of Tyvek paper until he gave me some. It's not real real heavy, but just the same is more weight than Monocoat (which I can't stand using). You can't rip this paper with your fingers. Peal it apart and you'll see cobweb-like strands inside of it that look like fiberglass. The stuff sticks to foam very well with 3M spray, and just try to get paint to flake or rub off it (almost impossible!). So, I used it to cover a streamlined Stryker a few weeks back. It's much easier to work with than Monocoat (easier to avoid wrinkles), hides foam dents and dings where Monocoat will tend to highlight them when covering, and the stuff can be creased to a sharp edge like folding a piece of paper at the LE/TE of wings to really cut down on wind resistance. Just go very light and easy on your paint coats or it will start to lift from the foam due to chemicals softening the 3M spray you used under it. Normaly it'll take 3 or 4 very light coats of paint to cover the stuff without it lifting. It'll bullet proof and stiffen a bird up real nice.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Aug 10, 2007, 01:56 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
I wonder if you took a 36" wing of fanfold and sandwiched it with Tyvek on both sides, would you even need a carbon spar anymore? Or would it make it strong enough on its own?
Mark
Old Aug 10, 2007, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
I'm going to play with the tyvek and fanfold this weekend and see what it does. I'm sure you would still need some type of spar though. Your wing would probabaly never tear off but once you get a crease in the foam it will still bend over even with the tyvek. Still bends like paper.
Stringfly <>+++++