HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2007, 05:43 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
I just print them tiled on the thinnest paper I have, cut them out, and glue with 3M 77 spray glue. Don't use cheaper brands, nor 3M 90 - 3M 77 is the only one that works well and doesn't melt foam.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:15 PM
Callsign: Jolly Roger
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
No I'm printing on paper. Gads I wish I had a foam printer though.
MyDigitalParadis is offline Find More Posts by MyDigitalParadis
Old Aug 07, 2007, 07:47 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Smart move on bringing this Thread to the Proper Forum. I would have never found it in the "Foamie Kits" section. Other then kdahlhaus , I bet alot of you don't frequent the Indoor/Micro Forum either.

I just got done reading All the threads and It looks like I have a few presents for you all. New Models Did I hear some request for a P-38 and a Fw-190

Im a Micro Flyer that has been flying these types of Warbirds in the 10" wingspan size, with 50mah Lipos and Pager Motors for a couple years now. Construction is Foam To~Go Boxes for the fuse, Foam Dinner Plates for flying surfaces, and Tissue paper GFX's applied with 3M spray. The end result is pretty cool.

I suggest you read through this post to see some of my warbirds = http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=14
The Plans come in PDF format with a 16" wingspan designed to print on 8.5x14" and 8.5x11" paper ,so print at 200%++ for a 32" WS model. The GFX's are crisp so they shouldn't need cleanup.

Here are some teaser photos
bEbOp ¿? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ¿?
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:03 PM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Very cool thanks
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Hey I remember that B-25. So cool for an AA. But, to stay on topic, here's a link to a person selling full-fuse printed warbirds. They seem very nice, and for the time it takes him to put together a kit he's practically donating time! Anyway, they look great:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=674464&pp=75
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Thanks for moving the thread and giving it new life. I think you should be real proud of these awesome prints, and look forward to seeing what you do in the future with it.

Here's my build log of the P51 Mustang. I used 2" thick EPS foam for the fuse (EPP on the 3rd build 'cuz I had it laying around) because I wanted it to look more realistic and hide the electronics...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617300
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:34 AM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
Well I couldn't actually move the thread but these were so much fun I didn't want them to get buried either. Time has been difficult lately to put it mildly but I still hope to do the FW 190 at some point and to redo the P-51 and Zero to make better quality prints. I've done a "film" print of the p-40 I hope to build at some point. A bit lighter than regular paper and photo quality finish. I'm interested to see how well it holds up. Any one know of a good spray sealer that can go on the prints to give them a UV shield?
Last edited by MyDigitalParadis; Aug 08, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:04 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
This is a very cool thread, now I don't have to go out and buy one of those Alfa P-51's.

Thanks for moving this thread here!
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDigitalParadis
Well I could actually move the thread but these were so much fun I didn't want them to get buried either. Time has been difficult lately to put it mildly but I still hope to do the FW 190 at some point and to redo the P-51 and Zero to make better quality prints. I've done a "film" print of the p-40 I hope to build at some point. A bit lighter than regular paper and photo quality finish. I'm interested to see how well it holds up. Any one know of a good spray sealer that can go on the prints to give them a UV shield?
Good question, I was thinking the same thing. I don't think fade happens all that fast, but a covering to avoid print ripping would be a good thing as well. I was thinking of just clear taping over the prints, but I'm sure there is a better way. Perhaps some form of clear spray covering that has a UV inhibitor in it? Maybe there is a sunblocker out there that won't trash the print, or could be sprayed on after it's been covered with something else (like clear tape)?

I'd love to see somebody clean up (hint hint) the TA-183 color print that kdahlhaus was kind enough to tile up for me (near end of the original thread).
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:21 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
It's great to see this thread appear in the scratchbuilt forum at last.

I spent quite a lot of time researching printers for printing onto foam. The only printers that I know of that can do the job successfully are large format flatbed inkjet printers that use solvent or UV inks and those cost big bucks. The best solution I came up with was using waterslide transfers (see my thread here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582939). The transfer paper is available in sheets or on a roll. The inkjet paper needs to be used inverted to seal the ink as in the link above, however they also make a version for lazer printers that can be used in the normal way as the lazer toner is waterproof.

If anyone has any better ideas then i'd love to hear them.

FT.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:26 PM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
Hmm laser, I prefer not having to tile things but I do have laser printers available. Also gives me more choices as to what I print on.

As for the TA-183 do you have the non tiled copy? It's a pain to stich tiled images back together.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:39 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
344 Posts
thanks for placing the thread over here. I was looking for something just like this.
Just in time for school to start too. Kids in the RC club will love these too.
Thanks!
Brian
teched88 is online now Find More Posts by teched88
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
SURE DO (have a non-tiled TA-183 print)! Can't believe somebody might clean up this print somewhere in the near or distant future. If you get around to it then thanks a bunch. I prefer using the non-tiled anyway, and just blow up the prints on a single page at Copy Max ($6 for two full page B/W prints (like a backup) of the Mustang last time at the size of a 36" wing. Prices vairy with who's working).

I was going to use (and may well still) some prints that he was kind enough to tile up for me. However, this bird gets even grainier than the Mustang when blow up in size. The tiles would still be good for just getting body dimensions right, though. But, for ease of use I still prefer just a single page that's blown up to size with all the parts on it. With my limiting scissor cutting skills tile work will never look as good on my planes.

Anyway, here's the original full color/single page print of the TA-183 I found somewhere on RCGroups. It's a very good looking bird, and the camo paint job really puts icing on the cake. A single page print in the 3' wingspan or so range would be just great. Thanks again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1148163
Last edited by critterhunter; Aug 09, 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Red and White Printed Bird Dog

This is a print set for TOG's birddog. I believe the print was originally created by t1mux. I added shading to give the plane a slightly more 3D look.
Last edited by kdahlhaus; Aug 08, 2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:00 AM
Ridgecrest California
Joined Jun 2006
597 Posts
Critterhunter is that a profile or EDF build you are applying the 183 to?

Kdahlhuas what size are you printing that Birddog to? Looks like a sweet pattern plane.