Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Discussion
Blu-Baby Aerial Photography Aircraft mark II

Hi folks. This is my latest creation for aerial photography, a fully suitcase-able version of my original Blu-Baby AP. For those of you who don't haunt the Scratchbuilt Foamie Forum, the Bl Baby was originally conceived as a primary trainer, but has since been modified as an advanced trainer, float plane and aerial photography plane. This version was created by the need to take a reliable AP bird across the continent by car for a very specific AP mission.

Other design features include a monobloc construction technique, which was pioneered on the original Blu-Baby. This construction method allows for simple and accurate construction while enabling the aircraft to be extremely tough, but light.

The BBAP2 also features a "state of the art" Kline Fogelman (modified) airfoil for high lift and aerodynamic efficiency. The wing has a full length composite spar to handle payloads easily.

For more see:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=863

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:42 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Tony,

THAT is one VERY interesting looking AP platform.
I'll be reading that thread.

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 06, 2007, 10:11 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Yes indeed, very interesting platform. I've played with 'turbulators' before but the steps has me curious as to how that KFM airfoil works. Makes me wonder if that airfoil could be used on heli main blades?

Good luck on your mission, hope we get to see/read more about it.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:10 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Thanks Ira and Roger. If you wish to find out more about the development of the KFm airfoil there is a huge thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558321

Get a large pot of coffee and sit down because it's huge and fascinating. The original Kline-Fogelman airfoil was not very flyable. It's development to being quite a good foil is completely a project of the many fertile minds of RC Groups and the Scratchbuilt Foamies forum.

Roger, there is some information regarding the KFm being used for propeller blades with very good results. If I remember correctly, the experimenter reported a 11% increase in thrust. I believe that was on a gas engine so who knows if it was accompanied by a corresponding increase in amp draw? You know what I mean?

I will be taking the first pics from the BBAP2 later this week. Camera is a Sony DSC-N1 8mp and I will post them.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:33 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,361 Posts
That is very interesting! I'd love to see a ground video of her flying! Thanks for sharing!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Aug 07, 2007, 09:35 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
That airfoil is very odd and seems like it would be very high in drag??
It sure has me curious.

Ira
Real Ira is offline Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:46 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Thanks Tony,

I believe you are referring to Parasitic Drag and it's effects on blade efficiency, there will always be tradeoffs...

Thanks for the link, you can be sure that I will read it.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara