HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:12 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,399 Posts
Discussion
opps, there is another thread like this one already

Hi guys,
I think the title says it pretty much...
I'm looking for a mini electric (which I know nothing about) and yes, I know the reputation Align has.
I've been reading a bit and (as always) there are followers for both, so it's hard to know all the pros and cons of them. I kind of know about different materials used on both but I'd like to know if the flying capabilities of the more plasticky Titan show up compared with the metallic Rex, life span of parts? and more important what's left after a crash (I tend to do that a lot)
I just want an heli to learn the new tricks and that it's cheaper to plant than my R60.
Thanks for any help...
Fernando
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Last edited by ferincr; Aug 06, 2007 at 10:30 PM. Reason: another thread on the same subject
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:32 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
I am not a fan of mini Titan. But here let me make it even harder for you. This is the helicopter I am interested in:
http://www.rc-tek.com/us_store/rc-te...br%3E-c32.html

Here's a thread where you can ask questions about it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76#post7940789

Edit:
I just realized the pictures on the web site don't do it justice. Here's some pictures of the previous style of this heli. Not much has changed:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1121

I am not a sales person or representative for this helicopter. I have an Align 450 I don't even have one. Just I have read lots of good stuff and this is my next helicopter I am going to build.
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Aug 06, 2007, 10:00 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
The best way to decide is to get one of each.

With apologies to Mike (helismith), I am a fan of the Mini-Titan. It is smoother and more graceful than the TREX, but not as aggessive (at least in my opinion).

The Sky Shark/Diablo flies very well too.

I withdraw my first statement, you will need three (one of each).
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:22 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Hmm. I think people's responses to the helis depends on setup; my Mini-Titan is waaaay more aggressive than my T-Rex, I end up trying things with the mini-T that I wouldn't dare with the 'rex. They're different, is all. I think the Mini-Titan is fantastic value, it's not as fussy over servos, and the performance is all you could ask for. It's a bit bigger, so the packs cost more.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Andrew,

I have the TREX SE set up with maximum cyclic throw, and the Mini set up the same way.

The SE still seems more agressive. I prefer the way the Mini flies though.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:38 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
I decided on a trex because i just didn't like the plastic look of the titan i.e those all one piece skids uuurrgh yuk! The titan has a longer flybar so it's more stable than a trex. I'd still like to have a fly of one though as it is still a nice heli.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:42 AM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
Yeah for clarity it was the look that didn't agree with me.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Mike,

The "look" took a lot of getting used to.

When I first saw it, I could not believe how they managed to engineer it to be that ugly. Now that I am used to it, I like it (same with the original Knight 50 canopy-looks like a 1980's Kalt).

It grows on you after a while (like flesh-eating bacteria).
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:11 PM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ddy
I decided on a trex because i just didn't like the plastic look of the titan i.e those all one piece skids uuurrgh yuk! The titan has a longer flybar so it's more stable than a trex. I'd still like to have a fly of one though as it is still a nice heli.
A longer flybar would make it more responsive, not stable. It has a bigger blade disk, which makes it more stable.

Joel
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
A longe flybar will make it more stable, assuming that the paddle weight is the same.

It can also make it more responsive.

Stability and response are related, but not the same thing. You can have a very stable machine, that respondes like lightning (P-38 Lightning?), or an unstable machine, that is lethargic.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:16 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
Mike,

The "look" took a lot of getting used to.

When I first saw it, I could not believe how they managed to engineer it to be that ugly. Now that I am used to it, I like it (same with the original Knight 50 canopy-looks like a 1980's Kalt).

It grows on you after a while (like flesh-eating bacteria).
Bring it to the FunFly? I want to see yours...

Man I hope someone brings and RCT-450 to the FunFly...
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Actually, it was at the last Fun Fly.

I was so busy with the Raptor 50 and the TREX 600, it never came out of its case...

I would like to see someone bring an RCT-450 also. Maybe Gene will. Very nice machine and different handling that either the TREX 450 or the Mini.
Old Aug 08, 2007, 10:06 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
well when i put a home made flybar on my sabre about 2 inches longer than stock it hovered like it was hung from the ceiling but on the down side there was near on zero cyclic response. But it was so stable it needed no stick input.
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy