HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 04:26 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Discussion
My video of Black Canyon Lake, AZ

I'm new to aerial video, just getting started and learning the ropes and stuff. So forgive me if the video is shaky and stuff

Flying over Black Canyon Lake (4 min 36 sec)
Hellbore is offline Find More Posts by Hellbore
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:49 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Jan 2005
45 Posts
[QUOTE=Hellbore]I'm new to aerial video, just getting started and learning the ropes and stuff. So forgive me if the video is shaky and stuff

Looks good man that scenery is nice!

Mark
fyerfytr is offline Find More Posts by fyerfytr
Old Aug 06, 2007, 10:00 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
I would say you did good. What plane and camera did you use?

I saw good approach angles to the lake (those would have produced nice 'static' pictures) and enough altitude to yield a great perspective on the area.

Did you do any pre-flight planning prior to flying?

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Aug 08, 2007, 04:07 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Yeah I am just learning, my setup needs a lot of work.

For the plane I used a Slow Stick, Unitedhobbies A20-22L brushless motor, GWS 11x4.7 SF prop, wobbly prop adapter (causing much vibrations at high throttle), 1300 mAh 3S lipo pack, Spektrum AR6000, cheap no-name servos.

It's just a cheap $150 camera, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS70. It takes video at "widescreen VGA" type resolution, 848x480 at 30 FPS. It captures in MJPEG Quicktime. The videos look decent, the Youtube version is lower quality for sure. No sound, this camera doesn't capture sound. One nice thing is this camera will capture video until your card fills up. I have a 4 gig card in there which I believe allows for around 40 minutes of video. My flights are usually not longer than 5 minutes while taking video, I feel that more than 5 minutes of one location is usually boring.

I didn't plan anything, I don't really know what i'm doing yet, still learning. Also I was having technical difficulties with the plane, it was flying really twitchy and squirrely, it was a frustrating weekend, i had a really hard time flying the plane smooth. I realized when I got home that the motor mount was bent and so I had a few degrees of upthrust. Grr... I put on a new mount today and added a bit of down thrust and right thrust, it should fly more stable now. I also got rid of the wobbly prop adapter for a more solid connection. I was thinking of also getting a magnetic prop balancer. I also switched to an APC slowfly prop.

Later I attempted a video from a cliff at the Mogollon Rim lookout point at Woods Canyon Lake, I hand-launched off the cliff and flew around a few minutes, then I crash-landed on the lookout point area because there wasn't room for a proper landing. Unfortunately my camera hit a ROCK and the lense broke.

Anyways I learned the lesson that I need to make a more protective camera mount lol... It cost me about $60 for a new lense assembly ordered from Panasonic.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I'm definitely new and inexperienced to this stuff. Not necessarily to airplanes, but to aerial photo and video.

My biggest concern is how to do away with vibrations because they really degrade the quality of the video. The camera has image stabilization but it can only handle so much.

If you want to see other, more crappy examples of my work, here is a so-so video of the local field I fly at a lot:
Learning to FLY (2 min 34 sec)

And here is some video near Snowflake AZ, with really annoying music (you can turn the sound down):
Flying near Snowflake, AZ (3 min 46 sec)
Hellbore is offline Find More Posts by Hellbore
Last edited by Hellbore; Aug 08, 2007 at 04:13 AM.