Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:01 PM
mre airtime, thn sober :P
holland
Joined Oct 2006
292 Posts
Discussion
[150 mph?]maybe? questions! for getting me there

hello my racing friends

my name is arthur and i like racing (duh?!).
i have a couple of cuestions for high speed,,,,,,

will a ducted fan help (gets more power when it goes faster)...
what tipe of car body do you reconmend...tires etc.......

i'm thinking about custom chassisch (or something :P srry)

any wais arthur
mr. arthur1234 is offline Find More Posts by mr. arthur1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 05:41 PM
holland
Joined Oct 2006
292 Posts
got some plans ready first some sleep :P
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,731 Posts
i think a ducted fan could help get you moving faster, but given the limited amount of thrust and amount of power needed to move the car to 150mph, i dont think its really worth all the work. besiads that, a ducted fan is slow to get the car to its max speed, and likely will require alot fo room. look for a thread around here called carbon fiber supercar or something. it should help you get going in the right direction
flyinazn10 is online now Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:20 AM
holland
Joined Oct 2006
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinazn10
i think a ducted fan could help get you moving faster, but given the limited amount of thrust and amount of power needed to move the car to 150mph, i dont think its really worth all the work. besiads that, a ducted fan is slow to get the car to its max speed, and likely will require alot fo room. look for a thread around here called carbon fiber supercar or something. it should help you get going in the right direction

tyvm for your reply... when i was thinking last night i thoughed about that car and with super much brushless power i should be able to move fast...
Old Aug 07, 2007, 01:37 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
I suppose it's possible.
The setup is definitely going to be MASSIVE with a crazy expense on batteries among the other parts.
Also, the wheels and tires will have to be some HIGH end ones so they don't fly apart at those speeds.

Ron
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:37 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
the thing about goin super fast 150mph in scale is 1500mph if its 10th :P is aerodynamics traction and stability.. then you deal with power .. youll need alot of rpm and alot of hp to get it up to those speeds

you really should have a look at helimodman's threads his car is one of the best ive seen yet.. and its gettin better daily.. you can learn alot from that man
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21
Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:35 AM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
From my perspective, 150MPH is possible. However, no RC car has achieved that yet (an a number of us are working very hard on it). So, 150 is obviously a very difficult mark to achieve. But, again, I think it is possible. The current world record holder (Nic Case) is a friend of mine. He has been in the 140s in testing, but hasn't topped that mark in competition yet.

Here is my take on what you are looking at;

#1 You need HUGE horsepower.

#2 You need extremely stable and slippery aerodynamics with modest downforce.

#3 You need high end foam or cap tires.

#4 You need a very good grasp of power systems and matching components.

#5 You need to be able to do the math required for gearing, KV to pack matching, etc.

#6 You need HUGE time to build the car and even more time to test it.

#7 You need a large amount of cash (maybe $3000 or so) to get the best equipment possible.

#8 You need long distance to run the car. This is one very difficult item because not everyone lives near a long, straight, smooth road.

#9 You need 1200 feet of radio range. This is also very tough because as far as I know, only the Futaba 2.4 ghz FAAST system achieves that without modding the radio.

#10 Did I mention needing LOTS of time and cash?

Oh, beyond that, you need a huge amount of patience and tenacity. You also need to like the car, but not love the car. The reason for that is, you need to be willing to open up the throttle. It is one thing to build the car, it is entirely another thing to successfully drive it at that speed.

Lastly, a ducted fan does not have the accelleration needed to push the car to the speed needed without running out of radio range and line of sight. The car needs to accellerate at 1.5 Gs throughout its run to achieve 150 mph without losing sight of the car.

Those are the challenges. What are the rewards? Well, very few people have exceeded 100 mph and only a small handful that have topped 110. It is an elite, close knit group. I am very excited to see another top speed contender working on a car. I would merely suggest driving the wheels rather than using a fan or turbine. That will give you the accelleration you need.

Of course, you could always use a rocket engine.

I wish you the best of luck. If you have any questions, PM me or ask here. I will be glad to help you in any way I can.

Cheers!

Matt
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:32 PM
holland
Joined Oct 2006
292 Posts
i was thinking a fireworks arrow(without bomb)
haha that should get me there
Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:34 PM
holland
Joined Oct 2006
292 Posts
hello all ,

i am givind a go at it !
i shall make an chassis and steering set up.
power shal be an rocket, dont know if it then really counts but i chose an rocket because of financial resons....

but first im tuning mu multiplex easyglider,,,, after a couple of months (when i have more money) is shal start this project
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
how about a pulse-jet?
lots of noise and massive power and relatifly low cost...?
fuel might be a problem and offcourse the noise...

Jacar
speedy-biker is offline Find More Posts by speedy-biker
Old Sep 09, 2007, 04:38 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Lots of noise yes, relatively lost cost yes, but massive power, nope!
Just ear bleeding sound with no power to show for it
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
if ya wanna shell out alot of money buy yourself an NEU motor.
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:45 AM
R/C Freak
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
From my perspective, 150MPH is possible. However, no RC car has achieved that yet
Not exactly true... I've seen teather cars break the 200 mph barier... but then again... u dont have to steer it! As for a true driveable R/C on-road car i belive that 130ish is the best anyone has done thus far... KEEP AT IT GUYS!
Associated Freak is offline Find More Posts by Associated Freak
Old Sep 14, 2007, 02:45 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
134.4 to be exact.

Tether cars take a long time to reach top speed. I have less than 5 seconds to break 100 or the run is a waste because the car will run out of sight very quickly. Tether cars can take their time accellerating.

You will notice I said "Possible" not achieved yet. I have run 125mph with 140mph of wheel spin.

The big issue is run up distance to get up to speed. Accelleration is very important in this.

Matt
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Sep 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
USA, WV, Moundsville
Joined Oct 2006
2,779 Posts
well nic actually made an unconfirmed 160mph run and busted a spur or something if i remember correctly and couldnt make the return pass for the record.. it CAN be done.. its a matter of $$ and time and injinuity
turbored21 is offline Find More Posts by turbored21