HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 02:25 PM
Joined Jul 2006
284 Posts
Discussion
Fixed pitch quad flies with 7lb payload capacity

We finally achieved controllable flight 7/30/07.
See the video below.

Specifications:
6.7 lbs empty weight
Max takeoff weight: 13.7 lbs
Flight time: 28 min @ min payload
Motors: 4xHimaxx HC3522 outrunners
Controllers: 4xPhonix 80
Electronics package: “Mix Whiz” board from Triad Aerial Systems
Gyros: 4x G190
Power 2xTanic 18.5 v 5000mah Lipo packs

Now experimenting with higher CG location.
Next will add flight computer (Triad Aerial Systems of course)

I found that I can prune trees with this as well as whack the weeds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PExi977F0U
Clarkst is offline Find More Posts by Clarkst
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 03:49 PM
hg1
San Luis Obispo, California
Joined May 2007
312 Posts
Very nice !!! I'll bet you can prune trees and anything else in your way with that kind of lift capacity. Keep up the good work ...
hg1 is offline Find More Posts by hg1
Old Aug 06, 2007, 04:12 PM
Joined Jul 2006
284 Posts
Thanks! These payload numbers are "bench figures" the reality is that we will have to juggle the payload in such a way as to not through the CG too low/high. To achieve a 7lb payload, it will have to fly near full throttle potentially resulting in the loss of the throttle headroom I will need to maintain controllable flight. I suspect our practical payload to be in the 4-5 lb range.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Looks good. You do seem to have some jaw drifting still.

What props are you using?
And does Triad have something of a website? Don't seem to get many hits with Google.

My understanding form the mikrokopter guys (www.mikrokopter.de) is that the CG is not very critical as long as it is within the arc of the motors. Some of them fly with batteries above the electronics, thus bringing the CG up high, others with cameras dangling below the frame bringing it low. Doesn't seem to make much difference to their flight characteristics.

Btw there are two quadrotor / mikrokopter threads ongoing in the RC Aerial Photography forum.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
7lbs Nice Im trying for 10lbs at some point.
What props did you use?

I google Tiad Arial Systems and the Mix Whiz and could not find this could you be gratious and provid more info on these as I would love to know more about them.
Thanks
Scott
Tuner is offline Find More Posts by Tuner
Old Dec 09, 2007, 02:15 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
Awesome.. but any info on triad?

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2006
284 Posts
Triad Aerial Systems llc is a new company which is committed to creating reasonable UAV and MAV alternatives for Law Enforcement and the Military. This includes not only unique aircraft, but the flight control systems required to make them feasible.
The Mix Wiz board was created by Triad to facilitated the mixing required to accomplish controllable quad mixing. This can be done with any radio, so a low end or older radio can acquire mixing capabilities previously beyond its ability. The Mix Wiz comes with 4 standard presets, and all these are customizable to allow most unusual capabilities.

A Triad Web Site is in the works, I expect it will be up by year end.