HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:12 AM
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
Discussion
My first lipo setup...can someone advise, I dont want to blow myself up!

I have eventually got some lipo equipment and batteries to replace a smaller motor in my foamie cessna. I have taken some pictures and would like someone to take a quick look to see if what i am doing is right. I have'nt connected the battery yet for obvious reasons.
Also my battery has a white connector...i guess for balancing the battery but as you can see from the pictures the connector will not fit any of the available sockets on my charger. I thought i heard someone say that there is different standards of connectors when it comes to balancing. If so what do I need. I have another 100 questions I would like to ask but just these few will do for the minute. Many thanks for your patience and help.
Cheers guys.

Connector to battery

setup

charger sockets.
tobys550 is offline Find More Posts by tobys550
Last edited by tobys550; Aug 06, 2007 at 06:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:23 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
You need to read all the stickies above, I read all the warnings, the good and bad, how to store them, charge them, about Lipos before I bought them.

It amazes me that people go out and buy these wonderful little power sources without researching them first... sorry about being to the point, but they are very dangerous if used incorrectly. Read all the stickies.

Challenger413
Challenger 413 is online now Find More Posts by Challenger 413
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:28 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,952 Posts
It looks great! You may have to switch two of the motor wires around if the motor runs backwards. It does not matter which two you switch also. Yes that is a balancing plug (the white one). You need to find out what type of taps they are (hyperion, thunder power, etc) and then find out what your charger accepts. Once you find all this out, you can buy adapters from the company that makes your charger. If all else fails you can just charge your lipo through the main (+) and (-) but you will have to charge it at 1/2 amp to avoid any imbalance issues. It will be slooooow charging though. Pm me if you have any other questions.....Ron
laughingstill is offline Find More Posts by laughingstill
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:29 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413
You need to read all the stickies above, I read all the warnings, the good and bad, how to store them, charge them, about Lipos before I bought them.

It amazes me that people go out and buy these wonderful little power sources without researching them first... sorry about being to the point, but they are very dangerous if used incorrectly. Read all the stickies.

Challenger413
ANY power source will be dangerous if used incorrectly!
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:29 AM
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger 413

Challenger413

I have read up on them for months....... but when u come to actually getting them its a different story
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:30 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
It is the discharge/charge that causes the cells to be come unbalanced, keep on charging thru the main leads at .5C will lead to a severe (out of balance) issue.

Sorry was answering the other post... For me it wasn't a different story, I researched them for about 4 months, during that time I was using Nimh packs.

You should have picked a balancer and packs with balancer tabs that fit. If you read some of the stickies, they address that issue.

Here is an excellent info full of idea's http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=29

Challenger413
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:31 AM
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingstill
It looks great! You may have to switch two of the motor wires around if the motor runs backwards. It does not matter which two you switch also. Yes that is a balancing plug (the white one). You need to find out what type of taps they are (hyperion, thunder power, etc) and then find out what your charger accepts. Once you find all this out, you can buy adapters from the company that makes your charger. If all else fails you can just charge your lipo through the main (+) and (-) but you will have to charge it at 1/2 amp to avoid any imbalance issues. It will be slooooow charging though. Pm me if you have any other questions.....Ron

Many thanks!!! these are the simple little things i need to know i knew about the wire swapping thing, but did'nt know about charging at 1/2 amp.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:36 AM
Dickinson, Tx.
Joined Sep 2004
5,345 Posts
Quote:
ANY power source will be dangerous if used incorrectly!
You need to post some more of your excellent info, then.... read the top part of post # 6.

EDIT: Charging at .5C is not the answer, but balance charging at .5C or 1C is.

Challenger413
Last edited by Challenger 413; Aug 06, 2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:46 AM
It will work....I know it will
RSA
Joined Sep 2006
66 Posts
Hi There

Lipo's are cool batteries. High energy for weight ratio. Good on you for trying new stuff! As has been said...just be careful.

In a nutshell...

1. The red and black leads from battery goto your red and black on the speed controller voltage input. Use a deans to connect. Can take apart when you want.
2. That is a 3 cell battery. Meaning has 3x lipo cells in series. Each cell is nominal
voltage of 3.7V...therefore 3 cell == 11.1V nominal. Each cell max charged voltage is
4.2V...therefore 3 cell pack == 12.6V full charge. Each cell "flat" is 3V (2.75V absolute min). Therefore 3 cell pack == 9V flat.
3. Use only lipo type charger
4. Make sure your cell number is correct on charger for charging.
5. Do not exceed 1C for charging. 1/2C for charging without using balance connector(white connector). That conn gives access to indivividual cells for the charger.
6. When using do not exceed current limits of battery. Do not overdischarge battery.
You will damage the pack that way.
7. Three white wires goto motor. If turn wrong direction on motor, swop any two white leads around.
8. Have loads of fun!
NUTSANDVOLTS is offline Find More Posts by NUTSANDVOLTS
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:57 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
Quote:
If all else fails you can just charge your lipo through the main (+) and (-) but you will have to charge it at 1/2 amp to avoid any imbalance issues. It will be slooooow charging though. Pm me if you have any other questions.....Ron
I've not seen any articles on that issue. To my knowledge, slow charging does not prevent imbalance issues. If the pack is imbalanced it is imbalanced and will stay that way regardless of the charge rate until the pack is balanced by adjusting individual cell voltages. Nor have I seen any documentation that says that 1C charging will cause imbalance.

Are there articles that say something different? Or am I misreading your post?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:01 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,952 Posts
Challenger, that is not true. If a pack is out of balance, the remedy for it will be to discharge it, not below the 80% range, and then immediately recharge it at 1/2 amp and then recheck. I was told this by two manufacturers. Once when I had a balance problem with a pack and the second was when I verified this info! I have been testing this theory with a small pack for almost a year now and I have not seen any balance problems yet!
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:24 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
An imbalanced lipo cannot be balanced by slow charging.

It has been observed that a fully charged and balanced lipo will become slightly imbalanced after discharging. They will however go back in balance after charging at 1C. This has been noted and docummented many times.
Is this what you are seeing?
There have been no docummented reports of a fully charged imbalanced lipo being balanced by charging at any C rate.
Old Aug 06, 2007, 08:23 AM
Gainesville, Florida
Joined Sep 2006
2,952 Posts
Yes, that is what I am describing. I apologize if I was unclear. As I said before the manufacturer told me it would work so I have been experimenting with it since and I have found it to work so far without any problems....Ron
Old Aug 06, 2007, 09:14 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
Here are a couple of threads on the subject if you are interested.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...alance+balance