SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:25 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Close to Invercargill... thought I'd be flying today, looks like rain comming.

So back to raptors... was anyone tried a motor way at the back of their F-22?
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:18 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,558 Posts
I think there is a pusher design somewhere in the forums.
http://www.parkjets.com/F-22-jetset44.html
Probably many others.

But then you'd loose the slick thrust vectoring off the rear surfaces.

Then you would have to articulate the whole motor for vectoring.

But, I do see your point. Moving mass to help with the Cobra slide quest.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
I have a RCPowers F-22... it has its motor directly on the elevator, however I found preformance to be very simular to my tomhe F-22, I did not put TV tabs on though I just had counter balances.

This made me think about how much difference TV has on a small model... it seems to me, not much.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
What kind of glue?

What kind of glue is everyone using?

Foam-safe CA, Ultimate RC, UHU Creative, etc?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:33 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Never CA' it's fragile... I use epoxy for cosmetic (5min) and gorilla grip for structural.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:37 PM
Minister of R/C
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,029 Posts
Well I've used Foamsafe CA successfully, it can be fragile though, but no problems. The other glues add weight.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:58 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
I think with these planes weight of glue is not a problem, unless you're going <50%. Alot of stress goes on my raptors wing and these things are rather fast.

Yes epoxy is quite heavy... Gorilla Grip, well, looks like a smelly gorilla is not wiped!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:06 AM
Minister of R/C
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,029 Posts
Good point Glider-Man...The amount used is negligible as far as weight is concerned.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Right. I was more or less interested in the durability of some of the glues...to see whether or not they were sufficient to hold this airframe together considering the stresses/forces put on this airframe from the 2212-6 and the many aerobatic manuevers.

I guess I will stick with my UHU Creative glue. This is one that Pat recommends and I have had good luck with (although I have not used it on this sort of plane).

Two more questions for discussion:

Rounded Edges - Do you find that rounding the leading edges makes a difference in flight characteristics...or is it mainly cosmetic?

Lights - Has anyone put a simple lighting system on their F22? If so, what did you use and do you have any pics?

I built one of Dekan's F22's and retro-fitted it with a light kit. It worked well, but my plane was already heavier than needed and the light kit didn't help any so it was removed.

I plan to put either this kit or this kit on my plane.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:17 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Rob,

Rounded edges - I think it's really just a matter of personal preference. If rounding them off makes any difference, I've not noticed it (I've flown these with both rounded off and square LEs).

Lights - Never tried adding any, but the ones you listed should work OK and not add any significant weight. Not sure how visible they'd be in the daylight though.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Pat:
Even in bright daylight, they are visible, but only cosmetically so. They add a bit of realism in my opinion.

In early morning or evening flight, they do show up quite a bit better. But again, I think it is mostly cosmetic and I would not count on them for orientation.

As for the rounded edges, thanks for the info. I have left square edges on my only other depron plane and it flies nicely. I may run the wires along the leading edge to hide them...so I will assume that this would be acceptable and shouldn't adversely affect the flight characteristics. Thanks again.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:02 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Rob,

Run the wiring along the leading edge and secure with packing tape. But when you apply the tape, don't press it down on the leading edge. Instead, stick the tape to one side of the wing, then wrap it around the leading edge and let it stick out a little, then secure to the other side. Instant rounded leading edge!

Pat
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:20 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Great idea. My edges are already rounded...and the wires are thin/flat...so not sure if it is necessary, but will certainly keep it in mind for this build and others.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
I'd still use packing tape, just apply it to the rounded edge. The tape will add some strength and help with hangar rash. And that way you won't have to bury the wiring for the lights.

Pat
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:02 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Taped LE is the ultimate, use colored tape and it looks nice but the main thing is your plane will last much longer, damaging the LE is like losing socks, it always happens but you never no how.