HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:10 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
I've got Adobe Reader and I just print an 85% version. Print-->Preferences-->Page Layout-->Reduce/Enlarge. Nice and simple!
What Acrobat version?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
I've got Adobe Reader and I just print an 85% version. Print-->Preferences-->Page Layout-->Reduce/Enlarge. Nice and simple!
What printer?

My HP with Acrobat Reader 9.something doesn't give me any kind of scaling options.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:50 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
metro, did it change the way it flies? i had thought about doing this same exact thing. you beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGTi
I hand cut some Blucor formers slightly oversize, then glued the formers in place. After they dried, I sanded formers to final shape then skined the fuselage with 1mm Depron. I used paper to develop the patterns for the skins, then cut the Depron slightly oversized and trimmed it to fit as it was glued in place.

The canopy was made from additional layers of Blucor glued in place after the skins were finished. The canopy was carved and sanded to it's final shape after the glue had dried.

Final shaping and gap filling was done with lightweight spackle.

Paint is Testor spray can enamel.

Pictures of the plane before paint are in this post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=798

Joel
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:04 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
metro, did it change the way it flies? i had thought about doing this same exact thing. you beat me to it!
It flies pretty much the same as the 20" profile version my nephew built. With the motor/prop combo I'm using I don't have quite enough thrust for unlimited vertical or hovering, but she can still turn on a dime and she can loop so tight she almost bites her own tail.

Joel
MetroGTi is online now Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:45 AM
Penang, Malaysia.
Joined Apr 2009
50 Posts
Hello Everyone

I am a newbie that has been seduced by all the pics posted on this thread. I have recently started my build but not before scaling it down to A4 size and cutting it on cardboard. Well she looks great in the flesh and that's what got me hooked.

Although, we do have a RC community here in Penang, Malaysia, with a few RC shops. I have seen very few scratch built foamies much less the F22. After looking high and low I finally found a local source for EPP foam.

I have commenced the build with 10mm EPP foam, Needless to say I had to modify the original plans to cater for the extra thickness of the foam. I also decided to add a full fuselage but not with the use of formers like Metro did, but layered EPP to form the contours.

Since I am a beginner that has never flown before, I figure that durability would be the key. With that in mind I have embedded a 5mm carbon tubes for the main wing spar and triangulated it with two 4mm tubes. I have also put in two 4mm carbon tubes in the at the top and bottom of the fuselage. 2mm Carbon rods are also used to reinforce the elevons. Nose area has also been reinforced with fiber filament tape.

Gorilla glue or any other PU glue is unheard of in Malaysia, probably because of our humidity. Had to use a combination of epoxy, ca, hot glue and good old 3M Super 77. Might have to pay a weight penalty later. Motor mount is cut from 3.5mm ply and epoxied together.

What do you guys think.
ToyStar is offline Find More Posts by ToyStar
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:35 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Toystar,

It looks good. Could you please tell me where you got the epp? I am in Ipoh and have been looking for a local source of epp for quite some time, but have not been able to locate one. I travel quite often to Penang (fortnightly)

As for GG, you can get it at the ACE Hardware store in Kuala Lumpur. It's similar under the Elmer's brand, but it's not white though. Another good glue to use would be Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue, also avail at ACE's. You can also get 10" long double side velcro straps, 245 Blue threadlock (Loktite equivalent) and all sorts of goodies there. Mostly American goods.

A local glue you can use, and may be able to get at the local stationery store is Art Select Liquid Adhesive. This is cheap, only RM2.20 or so, but is only enough for 1 plane of so.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:14 AM
Chicago, NW Suburbs
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
Aprox Flight times

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out what flight times I can expect from a 2100 3s lipo.
My setup is the Grayson V2 setup with a 6x4 prop. (Standard power setup available through 6mmflyrc)

I get about 6 mins on my 450 heli with these packs and put back about 70%.

I know the F22 will not pull the same amps that the 450 does.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
nofear001 is offline Find More Posts by nofear001
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:02 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear001
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out what flight times I can expect from a 2100 3s lipo.
My setup is the Grayson V2 setup with a 6x4 prop. (Standard power setup available through 6mmflyrc)

I get about 6 mins on my 450 heli with these packs and put back about 70%.

I know the F22 will not pull the same amps that the 450 does.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
10 minutes give or take depending on throttle management.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:09 PM
Penang, Malaysia.
Joined Apr 2009
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Toystar,

It looks good. Could you please tell me where you got the epp? I am in Ipoh and have been looking for a local source of epp for quite some time, but have not been able to locate one. I travel quite often to Penang (fortnightly)

As for GG, you can get it at the ACE Hardware store in Kuala Lumpur. It's similar under the Elmer's brand, but it's not white though. Another good glue to use would be Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue, also avail at ACE's. You can also get 10" long double side velcro straps, 245 Blue threadlock (Loktite equivalent) and all sorts of goodies there. Mostly American goods.

A local glue you can use, and may be able to get at the local stationery store is Art Select Liquid Adhesive. This is cheap, only RM2.20 or so, but is only enough for 1 plane of so.

chewy

Thanks. Got the EPP from a factory in Butterworth. You can specify the thickness and density 1.3 or 2 pcf. I am using 2 pcf as 1.3 is too flexible. However, you have to buy in bulk as they cut it from 100mm planks, size is 900mm x 1200mm. If you want I can spare you a couple of pieces, email me if you need it.

Yeah, have heard of Elmers GG, didn't know that it's available locally. How long does it last after it's opened? Do you have a spare bottle - would love to buy it from you as I hardly go down to KL. I have emailed Ace Hardware (as I suspect that may have it) but they don't bother to reply. As for the Velcro I get it from the local RC Shop RM7 for 3 pieces in various colors.
ToyStar is offline Find More Posts by ToyStar
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:54 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Toystar,

Could you please give me the contact for the epp factory. I would like to buy them. How many is bulk? I don't mind buying 20-50 sheets at a time as my flying buddies would want some too.

As for the GG, I only have 1 bottle. Seems to have mislaid it and can't find it. ACE sells the velcro 11" long x 6 pcs for RM12, so, that's RM2 each. I can get shorter ones in Ipoh from an electronics store about RM18 for about a dozen, not 100% sure how many as I have used quite a number of them

Please give me the contact info for the epp factory. Thanks

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 25, 2009, 07:45 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyStar
How long does it last after it's opened?
For Gorilla Glue (or any PU glue), keep the nozzle and cap clean after use and store the bottle upside down. I have had one bottle for 2-3 years.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
614 Posts
Hey Tomhe, I have tried the rudders on one of 5 F22s and it turned out much different than expected. At first the bird would begin to yaw then it would invert rapidly and get totally out of control (fun if thats your intended input! ) but at low speed flight they did nothing. Im really just using oversized tailerons to compensate, works great and adding ailerons to ov course!

OH, How can I change the pdf if I want a 130% version?
I have had so much fun with this bird in the last year, must experiment!
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Apr 27, 2009, 03:41 PM
North Hollywood
Joined Jun 2006
259 Posts
Argh The Spoils of Combat.

We normally all run 75% versions - but mine had motor trouble, so I joined with the full 100% version - I got nailed big time.
5 planes in total full contact combat.

Paul
Kangaman is offline Find More Posts by Kangaman
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:49 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Ouch
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
It should fly at least once