HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2009, 02:19 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,360 Posts
Ditto what Chris said. Be sure and post some pics of your bird!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 03:18 PM
Chicago, NW Suburbs
Joined Jul 2008
3 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies to my questions.

I will be going with a desert camo color scheme I think.
Will probably use the Krylon H2O rattle can paint for this unless there is a better alternative.

I'll definitely post pics of the build.

nofear.
nofear001 is offline Find More Posts by nofear001
Last edited by nofear001; Apr 01, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2009, 04:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,360 Posts
Just between you and me, Testors rattle cans work just fine too. And so do those water-based acrylic craft paints like you can find at Michael's and Wal-Mart (in the craft section).

H2O is good too, but I prefer the others as they come in the colors I need for military planes.

Pat
Old Apr 02, 2009, 11:47 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
Here's my video indoors. This is in a full size soccer complex and has three sets of high tension cable running across the field at about 20-25 up. Keeps things low and fast! I'm running a 3S 740 mAh, Hobbycity 2840 kv $6 little red motor, 5x5, and an 18A ESC. Gives me almost 2:1 and some spectacular performance outside.My take-off involves an 80 degree launch under 3/4-full power. Every plane needs this much horsepower!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVtiC5IXF4

3s with a 5x5?! Won't that kill the motor, batts (740mAH) and esc (18A)?!

I think it will draw more than that for that prop on 3s

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 03, 2009, 09:29 AM
That Guy Who Flies Wings.
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
3s with a 5x5?! Won't that kill the motor, batts (740mAH) and esc (18A)?!

I think it will draw more than that for that prop on 3s

chewy
Actually, I've been flying this setup for over a year. I've got about 50 flights on it so far. The airframe had to be replaced, but the motor, ESC, and batteries are still going strong. I did have an issue with this motor setup on a different plane, but was using a 1800 mAh battery. I think the larger battery has something to do with it.
frednjess is offline Find More Posts by frednjess
Old Apr 07, 2009, 04:13 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Sep 2007
74 Posts
Tomhe, this design is really robust and even suitable for a beginner

Recently, I sold my 1 year old Raptor to a friend, as I was confident that it would be a better trainer than a "Blue baby" (for example). Seems that I was right The plane was first a bit too sensitive on the pitch, but this was easily fixed by limiting the elevator movement of the tailerons. After that, the bird performed beautifully in the hands of a beginner.

Now, after a month later, the bird is still in one piece. However, I did break the thrust vectoring tabs last Friday, as I was demonstrating some low level flight tricks My Raptor is build according to the orginal design, where the TV tabs were longer, and you can guess the rest of it Anyway, we decided to try how it would fly without the tabs. It seems that the control authority of the tailerons is enough even without the TV tabs, although maneuvers weren't so tight.

Here's the footage:

Profile F-22 Raptor performance with and without thrust vectoring tabs (6 min 16 sec)
Shadegrown is offline Find More Posts by Shadegrown
Old Apr 07, 2009, 07:56 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Good video Shade, I may have to try a lighter battery in mine. My 1250mah may be a little heavy for the speed I want, and I basically get no vertical out of it.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Apr 07, 2009, 10:29 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Sep 2007
74 Posts
Hyperion Generation 3 LiPos

Thanks! I ordered two of these yesterday. They seem superior to anything else I have seen. I won't exceed 27.5A continuos in my current parkjets. The charge rate of 2-3C is reality, based on this post.
Shadegrown is offline Find More Posts by Shadegrown
Old Apr 08, 2009, 12:40 PM
They call me Supercrash
OBX NC
Joined Sep 2008
330 Posts
Awesome plans

Just got finished with this build. Very nice! Took two evenings. I used dollar store foam double thickness, had to make a few slotted mods cause the sheet was not big enough. Overall I am extremely happy with it! Looks awesome!

The power plant is 3s 2200 / 3900 kv turnigy inrunner / 50 amp ESC / 4.5 x 4.5 APC. Watt meter says, 50 amps @ 500 watts WOT! I really did not want to use this setup as I know it is way overkill. I wanted to use a tower pro 2409-12T and a 7x5 prop. but the slot is barely 6" inches. How are you all moding the cutout to fit a bigger prop? pics please

Anyone have any thoughts or concerns? It feels like its pretty stout....
Erroet is offline Find More Posts by Erroet
Old Apr 08, 2009, 04:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,360 Posts
Erroet,

She looks good! Yeah, that motor is way overkill. Turnigy has yet to come out with an outrunner motor that compares to the 2212-6. There is no way to increase the prop slot, unless you cut into the verticals and fuse sides.

For $30, you can get the 2212-6 and a 30A ESC from RChotdeals.com, and with an APC 6X4E have a screamin' plane that will do unlimited vertical!

BTW, did you put a spar in the wing? If not, be careful with that monster power system. Don't do any high G yank and banks at full speed.

Pat
Old Apr 08, 2009, 09:58 PM
They call me Supercrash
OBX NC
Joined Sep 2008
330 Posts
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Erroet,There is no way to increase the prop slot, unless you cut into the verticals and fuse sides.

BTW, did you put a spar in the wing? If not, be careful with that monster power system. Don't do any high G yank and ba at full speed.

Pat
Thanks, Has anyone cut into the verticals? i did put a carbon spar in it! I should get to fly it tomorrow.
Erroet is offline Find More Posts by Erroet
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:52 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Has anyone tried to make self-adhering decals (stickers) by printing on 3 mil cold laminating sheets with an inkjet printer? I tried a search in the Painting and Finishing thread, but didn't see anything.

Thanx,

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
I've been actually looking for some cold document lamination products to try. No luck here in Tulsa yet, even went to Kinkos and asked for doculam which I had heard somnewhere was available from them. They didn't know what I was talking about. But, I would like to find something that I could use cold and spray some 3m 77 down then stick it on.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:22 AM
That Guy Who Flies Wings.
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Built another 50% F-22. Here's the picture. Enjoy!
frednjess is offline Find More Posts by frednjess
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck4
I've been actually looking for some cold document lamination products to try. No luck here in Tulsa yet, even went to Kinkos and asked for doculam which I had heard somnewhere was available from them. They didn't know what I was talking about. But, I would like to find something that I could use cold and spray some 3m 77 down then stick it on.
Thanx for the reply.

I think I will try to find some Avery labels in clear and white for inkjet printers and see how they work. I bought an aerosol can of clear acrylic sealing spray at Wally world the other day that should help protect the results.

I'll post when I have some results.

Happy Easter,

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted