Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhobe
How do you get it to flat spin?

Ben
apply rudder..LOL Just kiddin'! (Unless you did a rudder mod) I'd like to know as well...

Option B: Jet wash... LOL I saw Topgun too...
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:22 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
570 Posts
When i try thr rudder it flips upside down and does a 360! looks cool though. Helijet, the other day i tossed the new raptor and it nosed, figured out I had left the elev. trimmed for my other plane, wont take much.
superinstaller is online now Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:12 AM
That Guy Who Flies Wings.
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Ah, the milion dollar question! Some friends and I found out this effect on accident. It works on the F-22 (200%, 85%, & 50%) and the F-18 will sort of do it. It looks cool and everyone will think you've lost power and all is lost! I am only using 2 servos and have the controls hooked up like the Ikarus Su-27 XXL (continuous linkage). I have no rudder control. Anyways, here's the trick. Get some altitude, I like 200-300 feet to start, and throttle back to zero. Pull full up elevator, which should cause the plane to do an "elevator". Put the stick into the bottom corner, full up + full right/left, and she should start to spin. Here's the goofy part, though. The plane will rotate opposite your input direction! Bottom left corner spins right and bottom right corner spins left. To stop rotation, just return to full up elevator only. Get out of the manouver by applying power as you release elevator. The plane will also, sometimes, do the spin inverted but usually snaps out. I believe the right rotation spins a little faster. You can also change directions as long as you have altitude. Either way, this move is always a big hit as I like to turn around and talk to people while spinning. It always scares the crowd!
I'll try to shoot a video and get it posted this afternoon.
frednjess is offline Find More Posts by frednjess
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
Pull full up elevator, which should cause the plane to do an "elevator". Put the stick into the bottom corner, full up + full right/left, and she should start to spin. Here's the goofy part, though. The plane will rotate opposite your input direction! Bottom left corner spins right and bottom right corner spins left. To stop rotation, just return to full up elevator only. Get out of the manouver by applying power as you release elevator.
I shall try it. Thanks! . . . but I'm not giving you a million dollars .
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Here's a really bad video of the results...and no, I didn't end up crashing. (I said it's really bad video!)
F 22 flat spin (0 min 29 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
Bring back the Huey!
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
188 Posts
1st Jet Built and flown

Hi to all and thank you for this thread. This is the first RC Pusher and jet I have built. After reading all the comments I decided to try this one and boy is everybody right. Amazing!!!! This thing screams across the sky or float a better harrier than my 3D's. Flips are insane. Again better than some of my 3D's.
A great big thank you to all, I haven't had a adrenaline rush like this in a while.
Time to build more Jets.
I have one question if anyone could help. I am running a 25A ESC and 1500 or 1800 lipo, with the 2212-6 Outrunner and 6x4E Pusher prop.
At times under full speed the motor will cut out. Is it because its a 25A ESC?
I have a 30 on order but couldn't wait to try it.
PS: Thanks for notes on prop--Mr. Wizard had it on backwards at first. Hey, I figured, pusher means letters facing back. I wondered why there wasn't much thrust--turned it around and tried it and almost hand launched in workshop.
I love this thing!!!
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:47 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Rambo,

The motor cut off does sound like the ESC. I would throw the 30A in there when you get it. I would probably stay around 75% throttle with the 25A. That's just a guess, you really need to throw it on a tester and get the accurate amp draw.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,967 Posts
Seconded. Stay off WOT until you get the 30A ESC in there.

Now, go build the rest of them!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:52 PM
Bring back the Huey!
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
188 Posts
Thanks you for the quick reply's. Esc's, parts,engines and foam on order.
If I stayed at 75% or less, no problem. When I went full it would start, so I just stayed below 75. Can imagine it a full.
Hand launching a pusher is a thrill in itself.....
Now the big question is what to build next!!
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,967 Posts
Many many choices, depends on what you want. In this type of format (mid-mount motor, tab and notch construction), you have a choice of:

F-18
F-16
F-15
F-32
F-35
F4D
F-104
Su-37
Mig-25
Mig-29
Eurofighter

My second choice would be the Mig-25 or F-18. Search this forum for "6mmFlyRC", "Quickbuild" or "Simple Thrust Vectoring". This will yeild results for most of these planes.

Happy cutting!

Pat
Old Feb 27, 2009, 09:25 AM
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Anybody got their's to spin yet?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 12:10 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Too much wind, and/or darkness as I have been working later this week. It's on my to do list .
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:34 AM
Scratch builder
Ski, Norway
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
Maiden Flight complete.

Just reporting in that maiden fligth went sucsefull. Just a litle bit of airborn trim adjustment and it flew like a dream. The CG was perfect the first try and floating abilities was very good.
I am amazed how nice it rolls with just elevons, but I think I will modify it with ailerons also after some more fligths. Just to check out the differens.
One more thing, I LOVE thrust vectoring!!!

Should I start on a F/A-18.....?
Kiddiboy is offline Find More Posts by Kiddiboy
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:46 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Got mine to spin yesterday. Very flat, and very slow though. And I was able to do a real nice elevator too. Had just enough headwind to keep it in place, and it came straight down flat from about 200'. The crowd loved it!

Kiddieboy, congrats on the maiden. Well done! And yes, I highly recommend the F-18 as your next build. It's still at the top of my list as far as the best all-around flyer. And work in ailerons, you'll be glad you did!

Pat
Old Mar 01, 2009, 10:13 AM
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Got mine to spin yesterday. Very flat, and very slow though. And I was able to do a real nice elevator too. Had just enough headwind to keep it in place, and it came straight down flat from about 200'. The crowd loved it!
Good to hear on the flat spin. I did a show stopper this summer. 25 mph winds straight down to runway. Take the 22 to 300 feet and flat spin from one end of the runway to the other.