HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:18 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
614 Posts
It will have the inlet ring, I will be going fully experimental on the exhaust nozzle, and getting the cg worked out. Iwill have to post some pics!
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 03:05 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
PM a guy on here by the name "wirbech". You can usually find him in the Gilbert Quiet Flyers threads in Clubs. He's the one that did the EDF Skyray. He use no exhaust nozzle at all.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:39 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
614 Posts
pics of MK5 w/ 2ply canopy line and rudders, also a new Turnigy 3900 kv w / 4.5" prop. Will maiden in a few hours HE HE!
Last edited by superinstaller; Feb 15, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superinstaller
pics of MK5 w/ 2ply canopy line and rudders, also a new Turnigy 3900 kv w / 4.5" prop. Will maiden in a few hours HE HE!

WOW! very kool mods!!! Let us know how it goes! PLEASE!
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Feb 15, 2009, 05:30 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
614 Posts
She made it home, learned a few things on this one though, the motor has to go lower than the main wing not above like in the pic. It was almost uncontrolable! somehow got it down... kept flipping over. also i think the batt has to go under the main wing not on the bottom of the fuse, after moving it I went for another flight to also realize the new rudders were out of trim, so ill have to try lowering the batt again to see. The rudder mod... while in flight (above 15mph) any rudder input would cause the plane to begin yawing then bam flip over! looks cool if at a safe alltitude. Very scary at low slow flight, easy to bump when working the throttle. And the Turnigy can motor was nice sweet sounding power but kind of a gas hog and a little heavy. Was just as happy wi the BP 2212-6 and 6x4apc setup
Old Feb 16, 2009, 03:42 AM
Joined Feb 2009
3 Posts
Just wanted to compliment TomHe on this great design !
Loving it to death, started looking into these plans as my balsa Cessna really began to bore me.

Here's what I did with it...
Tiny test version at approx 33% out of 2mm Styro. Made a nice office glider !:

The 80% version:

I had 3mm depron and a 5-3 prop lying around so I resized the plans to the point where the prop-slot came up 5". Laminated two sheets with Uhu Por glue, fitting in the now 6mm-20% slots was a little tight

Did some alternative , since I couldn't find a carbon spar I used a aluminium tube as a spar:

With the electronics build in:

(guess I went a bit overboard on the epoxy )
2025-16L motor, 2s 7,4v Lipo (to be upgraded...)

The ductape all over it illustrates the incredible repairability I guess

I can report BTW that it flies even without the nose shortly after the above photo was taken I got a little carried away on some low rolls and crashed it pretty bad... Ripped the complete nose up to the wingbreak of...
Threw it in the air once more, just for -sake and much to my own supprise it still flew

Keep up the good work !
Segunda is offline Find More Posts by Segunda
Old Feb 16, 2009, 09:11 AM
Nevada, USA
Joined Sep 2007
1,921 Posts
Right-on Segunda, only problem is these things are addicting!! Before you know it there's foam laying all over and jets stacked up in the corners waiting for electronics!
What a blast -

Nice pics.
capt is offline Find More Posts by capt
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:38 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
614 Posts
Capt is right, these are alot of fun for the $. light, fast (or slow) , some funny tricks like the flips never gets boring and the nice verticle perf. and just easy to fly!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:57 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2008
126 Posts
I had a little mishap today for the maiden flights of the F-22 and Eurofighter. Right after launch, the F-22 nose-dives right onto the ground for no reason. I got the CG set as recommended by tomhe. Then I took the Aurofighter out for its maiden flight. 5 seconds into flight, the plane did the same thing, nose-dived onto the ground. I don't think the planes are too heavy. Both weighted at 16oz including batteries (Rhino 3s 2350). Can someone give me some inputs? Pat, I need your help.
helijet is online now Find More Posts by helijet
Last edited by helijet; Feb 23, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Just a suggestion, but did you check that your control surfaces move in the right direction? The only reason I ask this is because if the CG is correct, there is no reason for the plane to nose dive except that the throw was in the wrong direction.

Also, how are you hand launching these? I usually grab them by the spine ahead of the motor, give full throttle, then simply toss them out and up at the same time. The nose is pointed at about 75 into the sky.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Just a suggestion, but did you check that your control surfaces move in the right direction? The only reason I ask this is because if the CG is correct, there is no reason for the plane to nose dive except that the throw was in the wrong direction.

Also, how are you hand launching these? I usually grab them by the spine ahead of the motor, give full throttle, then simply toss them out and up at the same time. The nose is pointed at about 75 into the sky.

Pat

This sounds very possible...
A spontaneous nosedive after some seconds in the air sounds like a reversed elevator or a V-tail mixer issue. I agree..a flight control check is definitely in order.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:01 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2008
126 Posts
I did a full preflight check before launch for both planes. All the control surfaces were moving in the same directions. I also launched it the same way as you did. I had great success with the F-15 when I use the Fusion Pack 3s 1300 25C battery. However, I decided to give the Rhino 3s 2350 pack a try. They're a little almost twice the weight of the fusion pack. When I was making a turn, the Eurofighter suddenly dropped in altitute. I tried to give it full elevator pull, but the plane just flips upside down and nose-dive to the ground. The F-22 just go right onto the ground after it leaves my hand at full throttle. I'm using the GraysonHobby parkjet motors which give me plenty of thrust on the APC 6x4 prop, 24 oz I believe.

One more thing, I built the planes with both tailerons and ailerons. They both move in the same direction. I hope this is right.
helijet is online now Find More Posts by helijet
Last edited by helijet; Feb 23, 2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:47 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
I have to agree with Pat and Flex. This behavior is just not normal for the F-22 - don't know about the Eurofighter. You must have crossed controls or too much weight possibly.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
That Guy Who Flies Wings.
La Vista, Nebraska
Joined Mar 2007
395 Posts
Just want to thank Tomhe for the plans! My 85% F-22 was a big hit this weekend at the Unidome in Cedar Falls, IA. The 160 foot ceiling allowed me to do some pretty cool flat spins. Never seen so many jaws drop when I didn't hit the floor!
frednjess is offline Find More Posts by frednjess
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:35 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
Just want to thank Tomhe for the plans! My 85% F-22 was a big hit this weekend at the Unidome in Cedar Falls, IA. The 160 foot ceiling allowed me to do some pretty cool flat spins. Never seen so many jaws drop when I didn't hit the floor!
How do you get it to flat spin?

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer