HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2009, 10:39 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Cid156,

Sorry, I just saw your post. The video does show not using a carbon rod, but I would recommend that you "do" add the carbon rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid156
Hi if I understand the video of Jetcaptain (my english is not perfect). I do not need to put a carbon fiber rod ? Is it true ? If not what size should i use ?
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2009, 02:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frednjess
CVOYLES,
I'm going to second Pat's approval of your power system. Sounds like a winner. On speed, I'd say 60 mph is the top end. I've done some full power dives with my 80% Depron version and the vibrations get pretty violent. I know mine will do 50-60 in level flight. Just remember the wing spar!
I once put my tomhe designed F-18 in a full power dive straight down, then kicked in full aileron. Both tailerons promptly separated from the airframe.

I don't recommend that manuever.

And I second Chris' opinion on the CF rod. Always put one in your plane. If not, the wings will eventually start warping and affecting flight performance. This happened on my first F-18 and Su-37. All of mine get CF now.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:18 PM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
891 Posts
Here's my F22 based on these plans. I scaled the plans down to get a 22" span, then I figured out the shapes for some formers. It's mostly blue FFF with some 1mm depron for the skin over the formers. The canopy is shaped from several laminations of blue FFF. I glued flat carbon strips into slits cut in the FFF to reinforce the wing and nose. Just need to get the servos installed and I can give her a flight test.

Joel
MetroGTi is offline Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Hey guys, Before I let this plane out for its madien flight, I have a question...

I know it states that the CoG is 3.25 from the start of the main wing,My question is has anyone found out that number to be different or is pretty much spot on?
Also does it matter which way its balanced??? I.E upside down like a low wing plane or right side up like a high wing plane...

Thanks for the help.....CVOYLES
cvoyles is offline Find More Posts by cvoyles
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:56 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,664 Posts
That CG has been pretty spot on for both of my builds.

Pat
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:57 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,664 Posts
Joel,

Looks good! Let us know how she flies.

Pat
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoyles
Also does it matter which way its balanced??? I.E upside down like a low wing plane or right side up like a high wing plane...
I balanced mine very simply by measuring and marking the CG on the top of the fuselage - just a thin line across the edge of the foam. Then I gripped the fuselage there with two fingers and placed the battery on top, moving it forward and back as needed to come up with the correct position.

In both of my birds, the battery ended up roughly in the center of the hatch compartment.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jan 14, 2009, 01:46 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,664 Posts
Ben,

I do mine the same way. Works perfect every time!

Pat
Old Jan 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Thanks guys for all the help. I flew the plane today and loved it!!!!
I'm still grinning from ear to ear and wanting to build all of these planes!!!!
This plane flys great, although it was a tad nose heavy the first flight I moved the battery back 1/4 inch and it flew better and the rolls were great.
Landings were perfect!! this thing will just float right in with a little nose down and right before landing flare it up and thats it.

By the way this is my first attempt at making one of these planes and there will certainly be many more..I'm already thinking about which one to do next, any suggestions???

Thanks for all the help again....CVOYLES
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Congradulations on a successful maiden! Which one to build next? That's a tough one.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:08 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Thanks, I'm STILL grinning!!!!!

CVOYLES
Old Jan 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,757 Posts
Do the swing wing F-14 !

but then I'm prejudiced :-)
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:03 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
Joel, last week when I talked to you about it you didn't say you were doing a full fuse...I still haven't repaired mine yet.....need to get the kicker for the ca...BTW, I got the cessna windows the other day...
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Not that its that pretty but here is a pic of my little plane....
And its for low and close flying thats why its all black but I'm going to put some red stripes on it at some point in time, I just wanted to fly it!!!

CVOYLES
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:59 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,664 Posts
If you want my opinion, try the tomhe F-18 next (and add ailerons tied in with the elevons). Of all of these pusher jets I've done, the F-18 has been the best all around flyer. With the Grayson parkjet motor, it's simply awesome!

Pat