HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:46 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhobe
Actually, it's the solvent in the paint that melts the foam, but the rest is true. The propellant is typically a hydrocarbon, like butane or propane. The solvents are foam-nasty things like acetone and toluene, and MOSTLY evaporate before hitting the foam. If you're patient, you can spray as you describe with most enamels. I think the solvent in Testors is kinder to foam though anyways.

Ben
OK, good to know. I always thought it was the propellant. But like I said, so far using my techniques, not one single meltdown.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
OK, good to know. I always thought it was the propellant. But like I said, so far using my techniques, not one single meltdown.
I've had mixed luck with spraying directly on the foam, I get areas of orange peeling, where the foam is partially eaten. I'm sure it is just a lack of patience.

I'd really like to try the eggshell paint described by jet capitain. That would solve my "large surface area" dilemma with the airbrush, though I'm not sure I could ever use a quart of tactical grey paint - maybe a 200% version. I wonder if you can get it in pints?

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
Ben,

Just keep it pure white when you buy it, then tent it with your choice of color with acrylic craft paints. However, make sure you keep a log of how much of each you put in, otherwise it would be difficult to match later.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:27 AM
Aviation photographer
near Albany, NY
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
thanks jetcaptain!
skypix is offline Find More Posts by skypix
Old Oct 21, 2008, 06:07 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,352 Posts
I was thinking that if you were able to get all of the primary colors Red,Blue,Yellow, and then a can of white you could make any color you wanted. It would save money in the long run I would imagine.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:17 PM
The Hague, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2006
303 Posts
What size airframe should I think for this one using 2S lipo's 600-800 mah?
I have a few of these available and would like to use them.

The Hyperion Z1709 2100 kv would be a very nice motor. The only problem is it will perform best with an 6x4 prop, which is a bit large if I have to scale down the airframe.
Any better suggestions for the motor? perhaps a small inrunner?

Edit: the 600-800 mah lipo's are actually double 300-400 packs. Is it wiser to use them single in a very small airframe with a very small inrunner like the Y12L-5300 with a GWS 3x2 prop (7,3 A = about 20C @ WOT)???
ZamBeZi is offline Find More Posts by ZamBeZi
Last edited by ZamBeZi; Oct 22, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,964 Posts
ZamBeZi (and anyone else wanting to do a micro version),

A friend of mine took Tomas' design and came up with a smaller verion with an 18.8" wingspan. This is perfect for a small 12mm inrunner and 2S lipo. In fact, he has a link to the motor he used from Hobby City.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795691

Pat
Old Nov 08, 2008, 04:51 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,721 Posts
Some good ones of Pat's plane from today. Like all of Pat's planes a great flyer.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Nov 08, 2008, 06:37 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Flew mine today. A bit windy but it handled it well....right up to the landing. Somehow I nosed it in on the landing approach and broke off the nose. Probably a 3 minute fix at the most. First crash with this one. I must have 20-30 flights on it. My first F-22 lasted through only 2 flights. Totaled it due to radio interference. This is my 2nd F-22 and it's one of those planes that I always take with me. I take my Infinion with me wherever I go for my 3D habbit and the F-22 to satisfy my need for speed speed.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Nov 08, 2008, 07:22 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
16,964 Posts
Bob,

That's funny, my first one only lasted like 3 flights before I nosed it in pretty bad. But #2 is going strong (as evidenced in the pics posted just above).

Jim,

Thanks for posting those pics that Tina took today. They look great! In that last pic, I had just done my new manuever; a wheels up touch and go! I bring it in like I'm going to land, cut the throttle, then "skip" it off the grass, hit the gas and keep going.

Pat
Old Nov 09, 2008, 01:16 PM
Anchorage AK
Joined Jun 2008
74 Posts
Flight Video

I just posted my first inflight video attempt with the FlycamOne 2 into the video forums. This is also my first upload attempt. Are folks posting to YouTube instead of this site?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post10908482
C. George is offline Find More Posts by C. George
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Worrigee
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
Hi to all..

Have been scootin around with my Yardbird F-22 for the past few months until last week when i managed to drive it into the ground and spend quite some time picking up the pieces..

So the question is - another YB or something a little different????

One of the guys i fly with has been playing around with an indoor version of this 22 and i gotta admit, i like the shape.. The YB was a nice looking plane but this one has some really smooth lines.. A brief skim thru this thread also has many comments claiming this one leaves the Yarbird in its wake..

So, i'm building me one... Gotta admit, i don't have the steadiest hand when it comes to cutting out plans, so that caused some apprehension but now that i'm half way built i'm loving the look & eagerly awaiting the first flight with those cool elevons...

Have tomorrow to finish the build (gotta work around domestic duties) before flying with the guys Sunday morning..

This plane, i feel, is going to be FUN....

Maxih...
Maxih is offline Find More Posts by Maxih
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxih
The YB was a nice looking plane but this one has some really smooth lines.. A brief skim thru this thread also has many comments claiming this one leaves the Yarbird in its wake.
I've flown with (or maybe I should say against) another gent who has a Yardbird F-22. His has the Dualsky motor combo as purchased from 2dogrc. His flies faster and flies better slow and inverted than mine, but it's smaller (about 80-90%) and lighter than mine too (I'm running a PQ 2500 battery that weighs nearly a half pound). On the otherhand, his cannot whip around mid-flight and change directions almost instantly like mine.

His is faster, mine's more maneuverable, so I'd say it's probably a wash, depending on your personal preference. Mine was much cheaper too - about $1.50 worth of Blucor + my time and effort (which i consider fun).

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Last edited by Park_Flyer; Nov 14, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Worrigee
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
I have to admit there is a little more satisfaction when you start with a sheet of foam and take it from there..
The speed difference should be a little interesting. I'll be using the Dualsky combo out of the Yardbird in this build, which has meant a few minor mods to accommodate the mount and prop. The Dualsky setup worked so well in the YB it'd be a shame not to keep using it..

Also to allow the whole plan to fit on one sheet i've built 90%.. I think even at 90% it's still a little larger than the YB. Bit hard to tell, between the crash and the derigging there's not enough to really tell .

In any case, better feed the kid so i can get back to the build before tomorrow..
Maxih is offline Find More Posts by Maxih
Old Nov 14, 2008, 09:50 PM
hobby-asia.com
Malaysia
Joined Apr 2006
466 Posts
guys, i love this bird so much that i m gonna build a smaller version, scaled down to 50%. muahha... m sure its gonna be fast.
uniquexme is offline Find More Posts by uniquexme