SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:22 PM
Have Fun! Land, Sea or Air
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Glad to hear the maiden went well. I will have to start on another one, but this time, one that I will keep to fly. I had to retire my first blue core build.
jetcaptain is offline Find More Posts by jetcaptain
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
This one IS fun to build. I've templated an 80% version that should work well with a LS parkjet motor I have handy. Not sure when I'll get started on that one. I think I'll come up with a non-tactical paint scheme though.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:47 PM
Aviation photographer
near Albany, NY
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
What kind of paint?

Your 22s look great guys, what did you use to paint them with?

I tried spraying mine with some hobbyist-style (from Walmart) acrylics but it blotched up so bad on the foam (maybe I should have cleaned it with alcohol or something?) that I ended up wiping it all off back down to white foam and just went ahead and built it.

I've read about mixing windex or furniture polish with acrylics but can't find that thread.

thanks for any tips you can pass along.

Jim
skypix is offline Find More Posts by skypix
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:52 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Jim,

I use Testors rattle cans religiously. They're expensive, but I get the military colors I need. I used #1930 first as the lighter coat and sprayed the entire airframe. Then I cut out paper templates for the cammo patterns and sprayed it with #1994.

For the stuff I paint by hand (like tomhe's Su-37), I like to use water-based acrylic craft paints from Michael's or Jo-Ann's (and Wal-Mart too).

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:09 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,598 Posts
I have found that you need to sand (400 grit) the whole surface to get acrylic to go on properly. I seal my foam with a mixture of PVA glue and talcum powder or water based polyuethane and then sand.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
And just a reminder for those who don't want to mess with downloading plans and cutting out foam, kits are available both from 6mm Fly RC (kit only) and from Grayson Hobby (kit plus their parkjet motor combo).

Pat
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:39 PM
Aviation photographer
near Albany, NY
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:45 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
I just use latex eggshell paint, thin it with windshield washer fluid and paint it on with a high quality brush. The egg shell paint smooths itself as it dries and leaves no brush marks. One coat usally does the trick. You could just have a can of white base, then mix your choice of acrylic paint from the craft store.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Painting

Depending on how I want it to look/how much effort I want to put into it, I use one of two methods:

1. Airbrush and airbrush paints. I got a Paasche airbrush set on ebay a couple of years ago. I found out the hard way that craft acrylics don't spray well. So far all I have sprayed is camo/tactical schemes. The paints are expensive, but you can use the 40-50% off coupons at AC Moore/Michaels to cut that cost. The hard part of this is coverage, especially with a large surface area model like this. Latex acrylics don't eat foam, so you can spray to your heart's content. After it's painted I spray the whole thing with water-based polyurethane (WBPU).

2. Testor's and/or just plain old spray paint. The advantage of this is it is fast. The disadvantage is it eats foam. To prevent that, I use WBPU from the can and/or aerosol can. I usually apply it to the large surface areas with a foam brush and spray the small areas and edges. For a smoother finish, I sand between coats and then respray the WBPU.

I've read about using talc and such, but never tried it yet - so far I'm satisfied with the quality I'm achieving. I do use light spackling to fill in gaps, mistakes, scratches, and marks from molds etc.

Ben
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,376 Posts
Ben,

I have sprayed dozens of 6mm depron and GWS foam birds with Testors rattle can without any prior prep to the foam. And not once have I had a foam melt problem. The thing to remember is to keep the can at least 12" away from the surface being painted, and paint in light strokes until you reach the desired coverage.

It's not the paint that eats the foam, it's the propellant. Keeping the can at least 12" away from the foam allows the propellant to evaporate before reaching the foam in sufficient quantities to melt it.

Pat
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:17 PM
Aviation photographer
near Albany, NY
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
that's great, thanks! you mean eggshell color, right?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
It's not the paint that eats the foam, it's the propellant. Keeping the can at least 12" away from the foam allows the propellant to evaporate before reaching the foam in sufficient quantities to melt it.
Actually, it's the solvent in the paint that melts the foam, but the rest is true. The propellant is typically a hydrocarbon, like butane or propane. The solvents are foam-nasty things like acetone and toluene, and MOSTLY evaporate before hitting the foam. If you're patient, you can spray as you describe with most enamels. I think the solvent in Testors is kinder to foam though anyways.

Ben
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypix
that's great, thanks! you mean eggshell color, right?
It's actually a type of paint. The color is pure white base and was purchased at Home Depot. I had it mixed in a gray color, and I mix more black craft paint to make different shades darker grey.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,757 Posts
"Eggshell" refers to the type of finish or sheen - choices used to be flat, semi-gloss, and gloss, right? Now they have flat, eggshell, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss. Then you have to pick the color - sheesh.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:05 PM
Joined Jul 2006
1,357 Posts
No kiding!