HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:11 PM
Anchorage AK
Joined Jun 2008
74 Posts
tomhe,

Very nice photo's! I assume you were met with favorable reviews at the meet.

benhoe,

All I can say is A-Men to that! I purchased the YB-22 and this plane at the same time from different vendors just because I liked the looks of both and wanted to learn more about this kind of plane. I assumed there would be differences in performance and wanted to compare first hand. Not sure I should have been spending money on this but I did it anyway. End result was that I now have both planes up and running and the bottom line is this one beats the YB-22 hands down! The YB is very fun to fly as a aerobatic park flyer with lots of speed and good performance but Tomhe's version takes it to "A Whole Nother Level".

I put two batteries through each plane again today with the YB first up and then Tomhe's. I get similar flight times and speed but Tomhe's bird keeps my attention the entire time trying to think of another stunt to pull. The YB actually gets a bit boring now that I know what I could be doing with Tomhe's. The YB does handle inverted flight better for me but that is about all it does better. Oh ya the kit for the YB was much more complete than the 6mm Kit. But that is about it.

I will try to stop posting all these comments on what a great bird this one is but find it hard to keep quite.
C. George is offline Find More Posts by C. George
Last edited by C. George; Jul 27, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
New Castle, PA
Joined Oct 2006
604 Posts
Nice pics Tomhe! Thanks for posting them. It is nice to put a face to the username. Your white plane is really sharp against the blue sky. I just got back from putting two batts through mine and I just love this plane. Still gettin used to the aerobatics that it can do. I found myself just yanking on the sticks to see what it would do. It just kept asking for more. The grayson power combo is just perfect for this plane.
markarch is online now Find More Posts by markarch
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:11 PM
Anchorage AK
Joined Jun 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarch
Nice pics Tomhe! Thanks for posting them. It is nice to put a face to the username. Your white plane is really sharp against the blue sky. I just got back from putting two batts through mine and I just love this plane. Still gettin used to the aerobatics that it can do. I found myself just yanking on the sticks to see what it would do. It just kept asking for more. The grayson power combo is just perfect for this plane.
YUP!
Old Jul 28, 2008, 02:04 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. George
I will try to stop posting all these comments on what a great bird this one is but find it hard to keep quite.
It's OK by me. Please continue.
tomhe is online now Find More Posts by tomhe
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:33 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhe
Okay. 6th flight tonight - what a great bird!

I tried something different, a non-computer radio with no exponential. Boy, what a difference - I do not like it too much. I'm switching back tonight.

For those not flying with a computer radio, or not using exponential, I highly recommend it. My expos are set at -85% on both channels. It just makes the transition from gentle maneuvering to wild a lot smoother. I performed a couple of wild maneuvers tonight that I did not intend to do.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:18 PM
Anchorage AK
Joined Jun 2008
74 Posts
Quote:

Well if you're gonna twist my arm, I showed a co-worker some home video of my bird going through its paces and he decided to get back into the hobby after a 10 year break. All he could say was "I want one of those even if I am a hard core glider driver. That thing is worth getting back into RC just to fly."

Mind you this fella is pushing his 60's. I gave him all the particulars on my setup and he is even going to buy a new 2.4 mhz Spectrum radio system.

The fact that it has very calm slow speed behavior with some Exponential dialed in makes it very appealing for a wide audience.

It has been raining for a month solid here so I have not been able to get a video together for posting, soon I hope though.

Happy flying to all, lord knows I am having a great time between rain showers.
Last edited by C. George; Jul 29, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:45 PM
Electric Advocate
big Apple
Joined May 2008
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I broke a Horn out on the Mig29 that day too.

Ouch!

My MiG-29 was lucky. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=543
New Yorker is offline Find More Posts by New Yorker
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:13 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,608 Posts
Retracts WOW ! :-)

I just toss mine as we have only grass runway.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Aug 01, 2008, 12:21 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
tomhe-

What plan is that pictured in your avatar?

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:00 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
tomhe-

What plan is that pictured in your avatar?

It's my profile MiG-29.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:03 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
260 Posts
Tailerons only video

Here's a video of my Raptor using only tailerons as control surfaces. It's still very maneuverable.

Click this link for higher resolution video
Old Aug 01, 2008, 08:36 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,723 Posts
Quote:
It's still very maneuverable.
I must agree with that. I think the maneuverability and roll rate on this aircraft are excellent! The simplicity and innovation of the original design are perfect.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Aug 01, 2008, 10:23 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Looks pretty stinkin' manuverable..

Any idea what kinda camera was used to shoot the video? I need to get a new technology video camera.. Mine is ollld...
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:09 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram
Any idea what kinda camera was used to shoot the video? I need to get a new technology video camera.. Mine is ollld...
It's a cheap Sony DCR-HC47E. If I were to buy a camera today I'd probably buy a Canon HV20 or HV30.
Old Aug 01, 2008, 11:12 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Yeh, the Canon HV's are what I have been looking at.. Thanks Tom..