Wow Alpea...that's crazy!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,900 Posts
Yeah the built up one was really neat. I have a pic of it somewhere. When he joined in I couldn't believe it. Then I heard the contact CRACK, and I thought , NOT THE BALSA ONE.

The investigation discovered that the balsa one hit the foamie from below. The foamie went down 1st, the built up one limped without a wing for a second then plowed in at full throttle.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Last edited by alpea 41; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Coroplast holds up better than built up balsa in full contact combat. I participated in a combat round of 4 or 5 planes. They were using F-22s that were mid sized = about 24" w. s. A real nice built up balsa , film covered one joined in and met dissaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Yeah the built up one was really neat. I have a pic of it somewhere. When he joined in I couldn't believe it. Then I heard the contact CRACK, and I thought , NOT THE BALSA ONE.

The investigation discovered that the balsa one hit the foamie from below. The foamie went down 1st, the built up one limped without a wing for a second then plowed in at full throttle.
wow i didnt know people actually did this!! this has to be the nuttieist thing ive seen in rc. i love it! a prop hitting a battery is not a concern?...
man that sounds like fun
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,116 Posts
There's a bunch of guys in LA that do this regularly. In fact, the majority of the planes are scaled down to 22" wingspan, and if I recall the rules correctly, no glue is used for construction, just tape.

Combat sounds like a bunch of angry hornets buzzing around!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
There's a bunch of guys in LA that do this regularly. In fact, the majority of the planes are scaled down to 22" wingspan, and if I recall the rules correctly, noue is used for construction, just tape.

Combat sounds like a bunch of angry hornets buzzing around!

Pat
i had no idea..any info on where this happens exactly?..would love to watch...key word..watch. ..have a beer.. put a wager on a plane or two

u have so many attachments to go through..can you post a recent video of u flying your bird please. would love to see you're flying skills/style.. I'd probably learn a thing out two! thanks pat
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, North Somerset
Joined Jul 2011
26 Posts
Here is a link to the guys who fly the F22 in combat games
http://www.ronknight.com/72056.html
jonc1 is online now Find More Posts by jonc1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,116 Posts
Thanks Jon, I was trying to remember Ron's name, it's been a while since I've talked to him.

Kevin,

If you don't know how to get to Apollo Field at the Sepulveda Basin, from LB take the 405 north just past the 101 (but not this weekend though ). Get off at Burbank Blvd and turn left. Take the first right at Woodley and then turn off to the left towards the field before you get to Victory.

Pat
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,900 Posts
I have lots of vids of combat rounds at Apollo Xl. And Pat is right they use F-22s about 22" w.s. But they don't use that size only and will let you join in with a 18.5" or even a full size tomhe plan.
These go way back to Western States Electric Fun Fly 3 years ago... These same guys still do it
F 22 Raptor combat Rd 3 with contact (1 min 27 sec)

F 22 Raptor combat Rd 2 (2 min 46 sec)

F 22 Raptor combat Rd 1 (1 min 7 sec)
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,330 Posts
Alpea 41,
What power system is popular on those 22" F-22 they are using. Much earlier in this thread, I had scaled the original down to 22" and was flying with a ELE C20 2500 Kv on 3s.

We are flying streamer combat with our guys and they might like to try this variation out.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,900 Posts
I'll have to find out for you .. Do you know Pat? I fly Pats mini 18.5" w.s. with them and its power system keeps up no problem
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,116 Posts
Not sure what they're using. Could be something like Blue Wonders though. The 1800kv version maybe?

Pat
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
I had my first combat with my 16" WS this past weekend. The only mid prop in the bunch, against two puller scratch combat planes and two Hellcats. We had streamers, but the thought of getting chewed on... Let's just say I flew the HE** out of my F-22. It was adictive. Talk about dissimilar combat.. The scratch built combats were too slow to catch the Hellcats and the Hellcats couldn't fly slow enough to get a good chew on the scratch combat planes. My F-22 could slow down/High Alpha or zip from a standing start. I'm hooked. Just waiting for the vid to go up.

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:20 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Loving the combat posts...don't know if I'd have the heart to chew up my plane though

I have a build question. I am doing the electronics tonight. Do you have a suggestion for throws/endpoint on the elevons? I was thinking 2" throws and about 45% exponential.

Also, what is a good starting point for mounting the battery when balancing the CG?

Thanks again for the help...I will probably post pics tomorrow and maiden on Saturday!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
Levictus,

As much throw and as little expo, that you can fly with. It's all up to your flying style. Personally, I go with max throw. Balance your plane for posted CG, then adjust to taste. I generally fly my F-22 in small spaces and do a lot of High Alpha flying. With 16" WS, in front of the house is great. Here's a vid

Ksqm
ksqm is online now Find More Posts by ksqm
Last edited by ksqm; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Ksqm...thanks, and great flying! That really is a small space! I pretty noob so I just didn't want to get caught over controlling the plane, but man, in every it vid looks like the plane just handles amazing! Can't wait to fly it this weekend!