HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Dueling Rapti

We had 2 Coroplast Raptors up yesterday.

Had a minor midair (both flew out of it), some near misses & 2 inverted pass FAILS.

For those of you wondering how she flies with one vertical stabilizer missing .......

F-22 midair & single tail ops (3 min 54 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
We had 2 Coroplast Raptors up yesterday.

Had a minor midair (both flew out of it), some near misses & 2 inverted pass FAILS.

For those of you wondering how she flies with one vertical stabilizer missing .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xQOaRLQlLs
wow. fun flying. where do you get your colraplast from?
well now i know not to continue to fly if my vet stabs ever break off thanks for testing that out for us
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Thanks for the advice crxmanpat...looks like the f22 is the one! Just hate the lack of paint schemes for it...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Well, there's always this one.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatekevin View Post
where do you get your colraplast from?
Election signs. This is the perfect time to stock up.

2 years ago I noted the vacant lots, etc. where the big signs were (4X4, 2X8 & 4X8) - then went out the morning after the election with hammer, pliers & screwgun in hand. In a couple of hours I had plenty (enough that I won't need to go out this year).
I look at it as the RC community doing a public service ......

You can also purchase from local & internet sources - it comes in many different colors. PM me if you want some help.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Crxmanpat, I did start to mock that up, but decided to go a different direction. Will keep you posted, but turning out awesome in layout.
Ps, if you click the link below and check out my blog, I just completed a Shumate F-15 and painted up like Starscream Gen1...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=427287
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Mine F-22 Begin to be ready for test-flight now. It seems well balanced with the batteries i had. 1300 and 1000 3c. Any suggestion for dual rate and expo? A club mate fly with 60% expo.
I feel for mounting a list alongside the upper fuselage. But I am empty for Depron and paint.
This have been a simple fun low cost project, that suits my wallet. And not a scale beauty. This was my first Depron, but not the last.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:14 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
So I'm trying to decide which motor to put in my bird...I am using a 2200mah 3s 25c battery and trying to decide between (I have both on hand):
Grayson Hobby Microjet V3
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...tor-p-425.html
Or
Hobbyking D2826-6
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Whichever I choose, I am probably going to use the other in my Shumate F-15 I just built which is a much heavier plane. I was thinking Microjet in the F22 and Hobbyking in the F15, but I may be wrong and would love to hear some opinions. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
That sounds like a plan. But I would think about moving down to a smaller pack for the F-22, maybe like a 1300. Save a little weight, the extra mAh realy doesn't make much difference in flight performance. The extra power you get is basically cancelled out by the extra weight of the lipo.

Pat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Thanks Pat...was just trying to avoid getting new batteries as my other two planes both run on the same size battery.
As a follow up question, I got a 30 amp Turnigy esc with that Hobbyking motor as that is what most people were suggesting it with. The directions recommend a 40 amp! You think I will be ok with the 30? Motor says it maxes at 34a and esc bursts up to 40a.
Almost done with the build!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:00 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
30A with that motor on a 6X4E prop max size and you will be good. All I run are 30A ESCs on my setups.

Pat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:34 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Whew on the esc Pat...So should I run the Microjet v3 or the Hobbyking on the F22? Microjet is lighter...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:51 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
.and one more question...I see people doing their builds and including ailerons...are these necessary or a big advantage? This is pretty much a fly it lots trainer plane for me...thanks again for all your help!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,203 Posts
Run the Micro on the F-22, the HK on the F-15.

For what it's worth, just go with tailerons for now. You can always go back and add ailerons later, and just tie them into the same servos. That's what most people do. Ailerons give a bit better control in turns and increases the roll rate, but it flies just fine on tailerons too.

And if you get real ambitious, you can add rudders.

Pat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,180 Posts
Coroplast holds up better than built up balsa in full contact combat. I participated in a combat round of 4 or 5 planes. They were using F-22s that were mid sized = about 24" w. s. A real nice built up balsa , film covered one joined in and met dissaster
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41