HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatekevin View Post
ive tried the dtf single with no paper /tape. was really light but not durable. see post 2771. ive tried doubling the foam with no paper or packing tape... was VERY VERY sturdy, but too heavy. ended up being 19.5oz w/2200 3s. anyway... get that thing fixed or rebuilt and get it in the air and on film!!
I wasn't happy with the single no paper dtf and tape route. What I did was double it after I built the main fuselage, seeing I wanted it sturdier. Flies super fast for me and after a crash I was quite pleased with the minimal damage. I think with a single layer and tape that crash I had would of destroyed it to the point of garbage.
Next one I will build single layer but 9mm depron.
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Are the receiver pins smaller on the 3 channel? The rx doesn't really hold the servo connectors. The sockets in the servo connector hold onto the pins with a spring friction fit. I would say they either weren't plugged in all the way or are loose and you could very well have the same thing happen again.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Yes, The servo wires were in all the way. You speak the truth about the sockets on the servo wire ends friction holding the pins on the Rx. I plugged them on the 6 channel Rx and they feel more tighter. In the end I do not know what truly happened, but my theory is the aircraft lost communication with the Tx and went into the lawn dart mode then the impact broke the connections loose. The investigator (fully qualified and experienced flier who was on site) stated otherwise. To avoid all confusion I took one part of the equation out. It could have been worse as this crash happened 30 feet away from us. Everyone walked away.
We will see what happens today.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:25 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatekevin View Post
Do you have a pic. f the mod? Interesting.
[/QUOTE]

Smart! Thanks!
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Yes, The servo wires were in all the way. You speak the truth about the sockets on the servo wire ends friction holding the pins on the Rx. I plugged them on the 6 channel Rx and they feel more tighter. In the end I do not know what truly happened, but my theory is the aircraft lost communication with the Tx and went into the lawn dart mode then the impact broke the connections loose. The investigator (fully qualified and experienced flier who was on site) stated otherwise. To avoid all confusion I took one part of the equation out. It could have been worse as this crash happened 30 feet away from us. Everyone walked away.
We will see what happens today.

OK, took the Raptor out today and it flew better than ever, even in 10mph winds. A word of wisdom to anyone with a 9X running Er9x. Make sure your other models have the battery disconnected while switching models in the Tx. The Raptor was down field landed and I was too lazy to get it when I was switching over to the F15 Eagle and on throttle up the Raptor woke up while the Eagle went airborne. Quite the scene when you can't power down the one in the sky and the one flipping around on the ground with the prop spinning is 50 feet away.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,969 Posts
Ah sounds like an adventure . Can you be more descriptive of the resulting mayhem. And exactly what is a 9x system... Sounds like a great radio.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
Crash-safe
Baar, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2006
276 Posts
I haven't been flying for three months now, but after spending an afternoon watching Wobisch flying his P-51, I really got into the mood.

In such cases, the Raptor is my first choice to loose the rust. So yesterday evening, I took it out, my son filming the whole incident.

Too eager to rock with the Raptor all over the sky, I misstimed a loop . (about 1 min in the flight)

But see yourself:
A [too] wild ride (2 min 21 sec)

Olli
lessram is offline Find More Posts by lessram
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: F/A-18 Mk II
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

New guy here on the forums,

Please could anyone advise me on the power setup for the f-22?
I have a NTM prop drive 28-36 2700kV, a turnigy dlux 55A SBEC and two turnigy nanotech 950mah (25-50C) batteries. (parallel setup)

My issue is, the ntm prop drive motor will draw 44 amps at WOT on a 6x4 prop on 3s lipo. This is not a problem for the motor or esc but the battery setup seems to be an issue.
The nanotechs came with 20awg wire and jst connectors. When I put this setup on a wattmeter, the power would not run past 400 watts or 25amps as the jst and wire were getting warm. (I did this only for about 2 seconds, no damage)

What would you(anyone on forum) suggest I do?
Purchase new batteries?
Change to XT60?
Re-solder lower awg wire and XT60 connectors?
Prop it down?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Nick
NicholasHerbst is offline Find More Posts by NicholasHerbst
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:57 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
Nick,

I would suggest new batteries. Just changing the connectors won't help as the wire AWG is so small. You really need a good 3S 1300 - 2200 lipo with 12-16awg wire and XT60 or similar connectors.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Ah sounds like an adventure . Can you be more descriptive of the resulting mayhem. And exactly what is a 9x system... Sounds like a great radio.
Not much to add about the mayhem. my copilot ran to unplug the F22. As far as the Turnigy 9x, It's just the best radio in the world for the money and even better with ER9x firmware. Do a search and there is tons of fourms and info out there.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,969 Posts
I just got a used DX 7 . And had considered a Turnigy just to try it .I know it's not a good idea to power up a 2nd model while #1 is still "HOT"... But I am confused as to why the throttle would advance on the un-selected model. Was it just because there was no Tx Rx link . Or did the Rx respond to your Tx input because that Tx only has 1 model memory?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessram View Post
I haven't been flying for three months now, but after spending an afternoon watching Wobisch flying his P-51, I really got into the mood.

In such cases, the Raptor is my first choice to loose the rust. So yesterday evening, I took it out, my son filming the whole incident.

Too eager to rock with the Raptor all over the sky, I misstimed a loop . (about 1 min in the flight)

But see yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR66NpfFTOY

Olli
wow that was close!!
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
I just got a used DX 7 . And had considered a Turnigy just to try it .I know it's not a good idea to power up a 2nd model while #1 is still "HOT"... But I am confused as to why the throttle would advance on the unselected model. Was it just because there was no Tx Rx link . Or did the Rx respond to your Tx input because that Tx only has 1 model memory?
Neither.
All of my models are bound to my Tx. The ER9X firmware has 16 "memory slots" in which to install models in. In each "slot" all setting/mixes pertain to that model in that 'slot". With any plane powered up the Tx will communicate to it with any "slot" selected. This is to say, if the F-22 Raptor plane has a battery connected and the Tx is turned on, any model selected in the Tx will communicate with the F-22. If I choose model F-15 in the Tx it will communicate with any plane that has a battery connected to it.
Problem is the mixes/timers/inverts etc. are specific to a plane. The throttle on all my planes is on channel 3 on the Rx with no mixes, So if I pick up the F-22 and forget to switch the Tx and it is set for the F-15 it will fly once. I will throttle up and the motor will spin, but when I launch it, it will crash because the mixes are different. For example the taileron mix is inverted due to the servo placement in the F-22 and not in the F-15
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,969 Posts
Not exactly the right system for us seniors . CRS and all. 20 model memory is great as long as you name each model. Just using the numbers is too much to forget.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Quote:
I just got a used DX 7 . And had considered a Turnigy just to try it .I know it's not a good idea to power up a 2nd model while #1 is still "HOT"... But I am confused as to why the throttle would advance on the un-selected model. Was it just because there was no Tx Rx link . Or did the Rx respond to your Tx input because that Tx only has 1 model memory?
That's because the ER9x and FrSky/Flysky does not have the Model Match feature. Any of the bound planes, if powered, will respond to any memory slot.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm