Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,325 Posts
27" EDF Version

It has been quite some time since I have visited this thread. I cut my teeth on taileron and essentially elevon flying with this model. One of the best jet profiles out there.

Anyway, I got the itch to build another, though scaled slightly smaller at 27" wingspan. Was going to put a prop motor on it when this 64mm HK fan unit I've had sitting around caught my eye, and I thought, "Yes that's the ticket". Now I have not checked the thread to see if others have tried this, though I was pretty sure this was not something new. However I did have an idea to clean up the interior helping a smooth airflow around the EDF unit.

Here are some pictures.
Oh yeh, you can get MPF here
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:17 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
I have seen that the motor on Pusher planes, are pointing a few degrees upward. Should I mount the motor pointing a little up, on the Depron F-22 I am building too?
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
I have seen that the motor on Pusher planes, are pointing a few degrees upward. Should I mount the motor pointing a little up, on the Depron F-22 I am building too?
Others may know better, but on this airframe the motor is right in line with the center of the airframe. Usually pushers with a high thrust line need what you are talking about.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:35 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,894 Posts
Yeah I agree, on this plane try to get it as close to perpendicular to both the center line and the wing cord. Then see how it yaws left or right with power or changes pitch up and down when you add power when you fly it. And if it isn't to your liking try to shim the motor correct with washers
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Thanks! Then I will mount it center line.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
F-22. First Depron project.

Members of my club, are building this F-22. So I decided to give it a try. It have been a fun project, and I am waiting to get more paint, before mounting the electronics.
Looks like a fun flyer, so I am looking forward to test something totally different than the gliders and micros i use to fly.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
its a really cool plane!! you'll love it... im currently waiting for my youtube video to upload so i can finally show what i got
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
thome f22 9/13/12 (3 min 26 sec)

here you go...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
dollar tree foam and packing tape. only on the top. with no paper
2212 06 grason hobby motor
hawking 30a esc from ebay.. actually works really well
9g servos
2200 20c turnigy battery
auw 16.8 oz
alieron mod.... flies a million times better with them. would recomend them to anyone!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
[QUOTE
alieron mod.... flies a million times better with them. would recomend them to anyone!][/QUOTE]

Do you have a pic. f the mod? Interesting.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by articulate kevin View Post
dollar tree foam and packing tape. only on the top. with no paper
2212 06 grayson hobby motor
hawking 30a esc from ebay.. actually works really well
9g servos
2200 20c turnigy battery
auw 16.8 oz
aileron mod.... flies a million times better with them. would recommend them to anyone!
Running almost the same setup. I doubled the DTF with carbon fiber sandwiched in between the main wing and tailerons. 3M extreme tape only on the leading edge of the main wing and one strip tip to tip under the main wing. Also full fuse on the bottom. files awesome with the 2200 3s and the 1300mAh 3s. Dives are scary fast and probable will kill a man if hit.

I did have a full throttle nose plant due to a freak complete loss of electronic control, not reception loss. I am awaiting the NTSB full investigation to be completed to find the root cause of the shut down/loss, but I have my own theroy. Damage was minimal at 10 feet as I did not need a bag to bring the plane home in.
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang
Last edited by flashbang; Sep 15, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
[QUOTE
alieron mod.... flies a million times better with them. would recomend them to anyone!]
Do you have a pic. f the mod? Interesting. [/QUOTE]
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
It has been quite some time since I have visited this thread. I cut my teeth on taileron and essentially elevon flying with this model. One of the best jet profiles out there.

Anyway, I got the itch to build another, though scaled slightly smaller at 27" wingspan. Was going to put a prop motor on it when this 64mm HK fan unit I've had sitting around caught my eye, and I thought, "Yes that's the ticket". Now I have not checked the thread to see if others have tried this, though I was pretty sure this was not something new. However I did have an idea to clean up the interior helping a smooth airflow around the EDF unit.

Here are some pictures.
Oh yeh, you can get MPF here
Ken
thats quite interesting would like to see a video!! i tried that once on a mini but my thrust to weight.... it just wasnt there ... but your jet looks great!!! cant wait to see it in action

...o and by the way, i dont want to take credit for the aileron mod as there have been many to do this before me.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbang View Post
Running almost the same setup. I doubled the DTF with carbon fiber sandwiched in between the main wing and tailerons. 3M extreme tape only on the leading edge of the main wing and one strip tip to tip under the main wing. Also full fuse on the bottom. files awesome with the 2200 3s and the 1300mAh 3s. Dives are scary fast and probable will kill a man if hit.

I did have a full throttle nose plant due to a freak complete loss of electronic control, not reception loss. I am awaiting the NTSB full investigation to be completed to find the root cause of the shut down/loss, but I have my own theroy. Damage was minimal at 10 feet as I did not need a bag to bring the plane home in.
ive tried the dtf single with no paper /tape. was really light but not durable. see post 2771. ive tried doubling the foam with no paper or packing tape... was VERY VERY sturdy, but too heavy. ended up being 19.5oz w/2200 3s. anyway... get that thing fixed or rebuilt and get it in the air and on film!!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
The results are in. The official word is, physical disconnect and low thrust, that brought the aircraft down. Seems that the 6 dollar 3 channel hobbyking Rx failed to securely hold the servo plugs in there sockets. As the aircraft was trying to gain speed and altitude I was stuck in a high alpha stance about 15 feet up with 3/4 throttle. The aircraft started to wobble on it's axis and I could not give anymore throttle as the aircraft was now in a stall and was doomed to crash. At this point the throttle was at full range on the TX but not at the aircraft. The aircraft went full throttle up and flipped in the air heading to earth, lawn dart style. Brought the throttle fully off and taileron up, the aircraft did not respond and crashed with motor running full throttle. Shutting the TX did not stop the motor.
This all was very quick, took 15 seconds, launch to crash.

So what happened. The preliminary investigation at the scene showed the esc/throttle plug disconnected from channel three on the Rx and one servo channel disconnected. Apparently, the motor will stay in the speed/position it is set in when disconnected. This left no time to recover from the unexpected full throttle/thrust burst so low to earth.

All is well now, 6 channel Rx installed and all repairs have been made. Looks like it never crashed.
I will be going out today to fly again.
flashbang is offline Find More Posts by flashbang