SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:14 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
[QUOTE=thren;22268947]My attempt at 100% plans in coreflute.

to be maidened in 2 weeks

nice! the county i live in is going thro elections and i see the ''vote for this guy'' signs every where (most if not of them are the coreflute) i was thinking i should snag one to build with so could you do me a solid and tells us the weight of the air frame so we can compare with a foam one
joethebuilder is offline Find More Posts by joethebuilder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
My county just re-iterated how illegal the business signs using material that are, after seeing them crop up on every corner and many right-of-ways. The city recently had their code inspectors start listing the phone numbers seen on those signs, and the city is now robo-calling the sign-owners, explaining if the signs don't get removed, then they will be fined!

I do think, however, the political signs get some sort of dispensation here, as 'speech' versus the commercial activity of placing prohibited signage on public grounds.

Anyhow, for over a year, I had already been going out around MY OWN BLOCK, which is 100% zoned residential, and removing any of the 'will buy gold' type signs I see, so unless the recent county campaign somehow completely eliminates them, I expect to have some material soon of my own to try this out!

I also wanted to do it on that exact model, so VERY interested in particulars and flight report.
Like one major thing is deciding how to 'bias' the material for proper build, since it is much stiffer in one axis than the other.

I like to consider myself a pretty 'law and order' type guy, and try to pretty scrupulously follow the law, so I had to walk through the logic on this before I was 100% comfortable 'repurposing' a sign that someone else placed, into my own airplane. But since it's an illegal sign, and is properly considered litter, that was placed in the hindrance of public good, and to great annoyance of homeowners like me, by blighting our neighborhoods, lowering our property values, done by people trying to earn a buck, then I consider it simple rough justice, and a delicious turnabout that those scumbags bought the material for my next project.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Jul 27, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
My personal opinion of coroplast and coroflute is that it's heavy. Personally, I'd rather build with depron and add a wing spar. Unless they've developed a new light weight version of this stuff, which could be the case.

Last week I bought a fiberglass bird bath at Home Depot, and the "box" it came in actually looked like coroflute, but was much lighter and flimsier. If I had used it, it would have needed a wing spar.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:22 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethebuilder View Post
so could you do me a solid and tells us the weight of the air frame so we can compare with a foam one
We (3 pilots & 5 F-22's to date) LOVE our CoroRaptors! This design lends itself very nicely to the heavier but sturdier 4mm Coroplast..

The AUW on my current Blue Angels scheme is 28oz, with a 2200/3S.

You still get lots of vertical, and plenty of speed. Mine runs in the low 50's with the 2200kv Power Up 400 Zoom. My buddy just maidened his with a 2950kv Power Up 450 Jet & I'm guessing it was in the upper 60's or low 70's.

Here are the initial posts on my 2 planes -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2474

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2799

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2807
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jul 27, 2012, 05:34 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I also wanted to do it on that exact model, so VERY interested in particulars and flight report.
Like one major thing is deciding how to 'bias' the material for proper build, since it is much stiffer in one axis than the other.
track - I had a field day (literally ....) the morning after the Nov.'10 election. I collected lots of signs from throughout the North part of Broward County. Just doing my part to keep our streets clean .....

PM me if you're interested in getting together. You can see for yourself on the flight report - you can even have some stick time, if you're interested. I also still have a pretty good cache of Coroplast in 4' & 8' sizes, if you need some bigger pieces.

Tim
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
track - I had a field day (literally ....) the morning after the Nov.'10 election. I collected lots of signs from throughout the North part of Broward County. Just doing my part to keep our streets clean .....

PM me if you're interested in getting together. You can see for yourself on the flight report - you can even have some stick time, if you're interested. I also still have a pretty good cache of Coroplast in 4' & 8' sizes, if you need some bigger pieces.

Tim
Too cool! Thanks for the offer, may have to take you up on that! My partner who is the *real* homebuilt flat foamie nut is on an extended business trip now, but when he gets back, might PM you and exchange info!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
Quote:

nice! the county i live in is going thro elections and i see the ''vote for this guy'' signs every where (most if not of them are the coreflute) i was thinking i should snag one to build with so could you do me a solid and tells us the weight of the air frame so we can compare with a foam one
Tomorrow, I epoxy the engine mount on and then will weigh it for you.
Yes it will be heavy, but I get coro for free, and Depron is hard to get here..
Ive got 5 sheets on their way 1000mm x 400mm = $69 incl postage....

Its also my first of this type of plane, Im sure it will handle the obligatory crash or 2 Im expecting. (Ide rather nose plant this than a depron one )

@ gatorlynch, nice...I am also going to try a 2200kv in this, as I have a couple lying around.

@ tracknoob, I made the slots a bit wider for the pieces on an angle, and taped it together for a day to stress the coro into shape. I used hot glue and held each tab in place till glue set.

In fact this whole build has used stuff I either had lying around or
that I could beg, borrow steal. will keep you all updated.
thren is offline Find More Posts by thren
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:44 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
Do you guys paint before full assembly? I am painting the stabs before I put them on.
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thren View Post
Tomorrow, I epoxy the engine mount on and then will weigh it for you.
thanks man also i found this motor guys check this out it looks like a micro jet v3 they alsome have a 2700 kv on that site

http://dx.com/p/a2212-6t-2200kv-outr...-45158?item=10
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Quote:
thanks man also i found this motor guys check this out it looks like a micro jet v3 they alsome have a 2700 kv on that site

http://dx.com/p/a2212-6t-2200kv-outr...-45158?item=10
Looks just like the standard Suppo 2212-6 that most other places sell, including me. The only difference I see is that this comes with a wobbly adapter instead of a prop nut. At these RPMs I'd be scared to use a wobbly!

Pat
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:13 AM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
bare airframe weight...
no electronics or motor = 580 grams
using google 580g = 20.4589oz
Heavier than gatorlynch's it would seem. Not to worry, I didnt want it to be super fast....
Maiden now looks to be put back...."she who must be obeyed" is working all next weekend.
Will vid outcome of maiden anyways... may be another 2 weeks now though.

@ M.Gonyea if using Depron, Ide paint first, but not over the glue points.. with coro I use sign writers vinyl.

@ tracknoob,
Quote:
they way I build mine ...I have the flutes running the same way as the parts looking head on...i.e. I could stick a carbon spar inside the flutes across the wing if I wanted,with the vert stabs the flutes run top to the wing and the sides of the body run the same way....

pic showing head on and flute direction...

very solid once glued together

cheers all
thren is offline Find More Posts by thren
Last edited by thren; Jul 29, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
I framed it up last night. Went quick. Using 5 min epoxy and foam safe ca to tac it in place. just need to locate the servos and a bit of sanding and I will be ready to paint!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Looks just like the standard Suppo 2212-6 that most other places sell, including me. The only difference I see is that this comes with a wobbly adapter instead of a prop nut. At these RPMs I'd be scared to use a wobbly!

Pat
including you whats the name of your store send me a link or some thing always looking for new online hobby shops
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Check my blog link below.

Pat
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:00 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts

Paint still needs a little work. Especially the canopy. Learned a lot from this little project. Final assembly and electrical installation in the next day or two!