Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethebuilder View Post
hello bro i wrecked mine before i could paint it still figuring out my 9x and flip a switch i shouldnt have but the 2.0 build is on i am also using $tree foam but my motor mount needs to be rework it flexes to much at speed making the trust unpredictable but i did do some thing to the elevons to stiffen them up ill post a pic maybe we can get this thread alive again
sorry for the wreck. its always a bummer to wreck! i use to not paint my planes till it was worthy enough to stay in the air. didnt want to spend extra time painting, then it crashes... at least that was my excuse.. untill my wife told me she thought not painting it was bad luck. havnt done it since.
-kevin-
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Aug 2005
110 Posts
Hi:
When you build one of these with the paper backed foam board from the 99 cent store, Do you still add the carbon fiber rod or just tape the top and bottom or just let the paper stiffen it up?
Thanks
Don
amtpdb is offline Find More Posts by amtpdb
Old Jul 22, 2012, 05:02 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,917 Posts
Here's what happens when you add rudders and give it to real good 3D pilot..
20120721 0395 (0 min 30 sec)

20120721 0396 (0 min 49 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
[QUOTE=amtpdb;22235255]Hi:
When you build one of these with the paper backed foam board from the 99 cent store, Do you still add the carbon fiber rod or just tape the top and bottom or just let the paper stiffen it up?
Thanks
Don[/QUOTE

don,
i do use a cf rd. i personaly peel off all paper. cut out the parts, paint it, then cover it up with packing tape.or you can use colored packing tape.. put it together. for the edges i use low temp hot glue and spread it real thin so the tape doesnt come up. i got this from "foamboard university" on this site. auw 17oz with 2200 battery. works for me.. i dont know what others do but i am courious to know! also, i double up on fuse. <~ got from pat.
-kevin-
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
alpea, thats cool. wanna c more if u have it!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
don,
i do use a cf rd. i personaly peel off all paper. cut out the parts, paint it, then cover it up with packing tape.or you can use colored packing tape.. put it together. for the edges i use low temp hot glue and spread it real thin so the tape doesnt come up. i got this from "foamboard university" on this site. auw 17oz with 2200 battery. works for me.. i dont know what others do but i am courious to know! also, i double up on fuse. <~ got from pat.
-kevin-[/QUOTE]

seconded i built a funbat like that and tape really helps i combat with it and its taken a hit or two if it gets cut by a prop or a loosely planed landing add a little hot glue and tape over it and your good i wish i had done the same for my f22
joethebuilder is offline Find More Posts by joethebuilder
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
alpea,
i usually build outta $tree foam but would like to try depron. do you get your depron localy or do u get it online. if locally, where? im around chino quite a bit and i would to build one of these in the next couple of days so i could fly it for this weekend..
-kevin-
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Kevin,

He usually gets it from me.

Once in a while I'll head out to the LA area for events or to visit family, and I always bring a case of 6mm and 3mm depron with me to sell to the Chino guys.

I'll be out there again Aug 10-12 for Big Jolt at the Prado field in Chino. I'll have depron with me.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,917 Posts
Yep , I only get it from Pat....
Here's mine being flown by a good pilot at night.
20120623 0114 (1 min 39 sec)

Here's one built outta Dow Protection Board filmed after sunset with the camera on auto focus ( blurry lol)
20111230 0363 (1 min 20 sec)
Last edited by alpea 41; Jul 25, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,917 Posts
All together I think between my son and myself we've built about 4 big ones and 5 or 6 of the 18.5" mini ones
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Kevin,

He usually gets it from me.

Once in a while I'll head out to the LA area for events or to visit family, and I always bring a case of 6mm and 3mm depron with me to sell to the Chino guys.

I'll be out there again Aug 10-12 for Big Jolt at the Prado field in Chino. I'll have depron with me.

Pat
aww. ill be outta town that weekend. birthday is on the 12th. ill catch you next time around i guess. do you normally post where you are attending on your blog?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:57 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Not normally, but that's a good idea. My CA trips are usually:

AMA Convention in January (Ontario Convention Center)

RCX in April (Long Beach Convention Center)

Western States in June (Apollo Field in Van Nuys)

Big Jolt in Aug or Sept (Prado in Chino)

I have family in Long Beach, and we come to visit often. I'll try to remember to let you know when I'm in town.

Hey Al, do any of the stores there carry depron?

Pat
Old Jul 26, 2012, 04:25 AM
DONT TELL THE WIFE !!!
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Oct 2009
83 Posts
My attempt at 100% plans in coreflute.

to be maidened in 2 weeks..
thren is offline Find More Posts by thren
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,917 Posts
None of the brick and motor hobby stores I know of. But Mike at DW Foamies sells it by the sheet . He's located in San Diego.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
None of the brick and motor hobby stores I know of. But Mike at DW Foamies sells it by the sheet . He's located in San Diego.
Josh should have the guys at Pegusas stock some. I know it would sell. Almost all of the hobby shops here in Phoenix carry depron now.

Pat