HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Should work fine, but you may have to trim a little foam around the prop canyon so the prop don't strike the fuse sides.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:55 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
I use to build SPADS out of coro. How are you prepping the coro? I use to rough it up with some sandpaper, but I also used paint thinner to take the top protective coating off too. Nice plane you did a good job. If my foam one doesnt hold up, I will try a coro one next.
Thanks. To prep my coro, I usually wipe it with mineral spirits, rough it up with a foam sanding block & "flash" it briefly with a propane torch.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:58 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
For those of you wondering if a GWS prop will work on a 2200 kv motor ......

GWS Prop @ 24000 RPM (1 min 21 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
Thanks. To prep my coro, I usually wipe it with mineral spirits, rough it up with a foam sanding block & "flash" it briefly with a propane torch.
Thanks, I forgot about flashing, lol. I melted a little before I got it down. When I first started, I flashed everything, but then after a while, just the high stress areas. I will try it out sometime.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Hello BLADEGRIP
SARG5 from Kansas here. I to am building my FIRST profile scratch built from 6mm 38 in. wing plans.
I am building out of the 1/2 in Pink foam . Still have a ways to go. It is all together, need to paint, and mount equip. NOTE. I am not a great flyer. Just having fun
A couple of questions.
1. I have put Rudders on my plane. How would you suggest that I hook them up???
2. What is the [UPOR] GLUE. you speak of
3. PAINT. Having a problem out here in KANSAS FLY OVER COUNTRY finding paint. Trying to find the Testors paint, Trying to find the Kraylon H2o. What paint did you use?
4. You speak of TOMHE and his paint post. What is his POST NO.
Enough
Take care
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND.
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,005 Posts
Sarg here's how NGR2go did his rudders http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2418

And here's DEnnis flying his this past week end
20120108 0444 (1 min 28 sec)
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
TOMHE
SARG5 from Kansas here.
Saw a post where they were talking about your PAINT . What can you tell me. Cannot find the post they were talking about.
I am useing the 1/2 un. PINK FOAM. for my first build.
Cannot find the
Testor paint or the Kraylon H2o paint in my area.
SARG5
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:43 AM
SARG5
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Saw that post ALPEA 41
I had not looked at it close enough to get the total picture.
Will try to get it done SOMEHOW.
SARG5
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
SARG5,

Here's a link to UHU Por glue:

UHU Por at RCFoam

But personally, I use Beacon 3-in-1 Advanced Craft glue. RCFoam also sells it here, but you can also find it in the local craft stores such as Jo-Ann's or Michael's for cheaper and not have to pay shipping as well.

And as long as you're going to the craft store (), any of the water-based acrylic paints will work on foam. And even though they don't have "military colors", you can get them in almost any shade including the olive green and grays. I use them a lot when I can't find an equivalent color in spray paint. You can just brush them on by hand, or use them in an airbrush thinned with water or Windex.

Pat
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
design testament

I was doing my usual high G maneuvers last weekend when this happened. A full power dive with full pull up resulted in the loss of half my left wing. A couple clicks of trim and it kept right on flying like nothing was different. I will glue it back on and it will be as good as new again.
What a great design!
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:43 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Yes, this thing is very robust. I've flown them without a nose a few times (broken off all the way to the intakes), and a friend flew it missing one vertical stab.

Pat
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Maiden of my Raptor

What a smooth flying plane I will build another.
11 Jan 12 Maiden of the RAPTOR.wmv (4 min 58 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Hey SARG5,

Yeah, CRXMANPAT uses the same place (RC FOAM) for the UHU Por as I do. I also get my carbon and foam from them as well. For my motors, electronics and do-dads I get most of my stuff from www.graysonhobby.com. The Upor works great for me, haven't had any problems yet. For the heavy duty stuff (Carbon spar) I still use the fast or slow cure mix epoxy.

There are bunch of good painting suggestions scattered in this post but you could take a look at TOMHE's site, rc.tomhe.net. There are several tips and tricks including painting as well as links to his other plane designs.

I was lucky enough to have a stocked LHS close by but was never happy with their prices. There are dozens of online sites that sell every color of Testors, usually for less, as long as you don't mind the wait. On my first F22 I went though four or five of the small cans. I've since purchased a starter Badger airbrush and get my paints from Michaels. They sell a ton of water based acrylics for between .99 and $2 a bottle and they work great. For less than the price of a single Testor's can I can paint an entire plane any color combo I want. The airbrush is a bit more work than a disposable spray can but it does allow you do do a lot more with it if you're into that kind of thing.

Keep 'em flying!
BladeGrip is offline Find More Posts by BladeGrip
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
F22-foamy

This is my first foam build. found everything needed around the house except the motor and props, which should be here next week. I bought a Frsky module and wanted to try/test it on something much less expensive than my Hot-liner. Just test fitting in the pic but the more I get done the more I can't wait to fly this thing.
x388s is offline Find More Posts by x388s
Last edited by x388s; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
This is one of the best scratch builds ever

the date on my camera is wrong this was vid was made today.
My Raptor Has Tricks.wmv (3 min 42 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper