HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:33 AM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Alpea, keep us posted on your FFF build there. I've seen a few people on here do the same, instead of depron, with great results. I too have a stack of this Dow Protection board stuff and have this F-22 on the backburner for building.

Lookin good!
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
Wil do pb... I will even video the first flight. I got the elevons hinged and the motor mounted and the servos ready to install .. If I put in another hour or so I can have it ready to maiden tomorrow.
The weather forcast says there's a certain % chance of rain of course.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
My first of many F-22s. Amazing plane!

First, I have to give a tip of my hat to TOMHE, this plane ROCKS! I came across his plans a few weeks back and knew I had to build them all but the F-22 looked like the best place to start.

I ordered the foam, the electronics and bunch of trips to my LHS to stock up on the bits and pieces. Oh, and paint. I need to re-read this post to find a better way to paint. Did I mention I was able to get a new build-table out of all this when the wife got on board?

The plane went together fast and easy. I picked up some sanding boards at my LHS that allowed me to easily remove the tab excess and round the edges. I used the masking tape trick for the CF spare and it came out looking clean and professional. I dry fitted everything once or fourteen times, painted and then glued everything together, mostly with Upor.

I tried a couple of different ways of connecting the control surfaces but I found that piggy-backing one control horn to the other allowed for way too much play in the throws so I direct connected each horn to the server arm. I noticed the long connection to the tailerons still allowed the wires to bend a bit but I added some small CF tubes to the wires and the bending problem disappeared.

I powered my plane with a Grayson Super-Sonic combo and a GH black 1600mah 30C battery. A Spektrum parkflyer receiver and a couple of small servos and I was in business! I setup my 6i with with some variable expo, dual-rate throws and I waited for some better weather.

It was time! I snuck out a few hours before sunset to my local field, took a few deep breaths and gave it a go. HOLLY COW! I was NOT prepared for this. This thing jumped out of my hand and started tracking down field FAST. Here's a hint, late in the day is not the best time to fly a Gray on Gray plan - I do believe I'll add some flash colors to the rudder tips and under body! I grabbed the stick and my immediate thought was, "not enough expo". Up, down, up, down, up, down and then I realized I wasn't breathing. I took a breath, calmed my nerves and everything immediately fell into place. This thing flies like a dream. I clicked in the proper trim and flew this thing from one end of the field to the next. It rolled, looped and flew straight up like it's a homesick meteor! The next day I came back with a full charge and proceeded to empty the battery all over again. The only difference was the second flight was with some pretty stiff wind and gusts. Didn't even phase it. Did I mention that this thing pretty much turns within its own length? Ok, maybe not but pretty darn close. It was awesome! Yes, I used the A word - I apologies to no one. Flights lasted about 8 minutes.

I couldn't have asked for anything more with this. It was fun to build, allows for a lot of customization and fly's like a banshee. This was my first profile, my first plane with guts and my first real build. I can't recommend this more to anyone looking to try something new.

I hope to have some video soon...

Thanks Tomhe!
BladeGrip is offline Find More Posts by BladeGrip
Last edited by BladeGrip; Nov 19, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
thanks from greece

i made your plan in 2 days.i resized to 110% because makes a perfect fit to depron sheet that i buy.
the third day i was in the parkfield and guess what...?????
not even a trim needed it flies perfect just the way it is.
thank you again from greece
pasas is offline Find More Posts by pasas
Old Nov 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
Alls I have left to do on mine is glue in the verticle fins. And paint it. It's pouring rain of course.
I didn't put ailerons on mine , just went with tailerons like the minni one.

Gotherdone except for paint. I enlarged the prop slot so I can prop up to a 7x5 . On the 6x4 I have on it now it doesn't have 1 to 1 thrust on a 3 cell battery. So it's a 7 x5 or 4 cells. Cuz you gotta have 1 to 1 thrust
Last edited by alpea 41; Nov 20, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:50 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,190 Posts
Hey BladeGrip,

I too went for Ailerons along with the Tailerons.
To keep things simple I made the Ailerons like the first pic and linked them to the Tailerons in the following pics. Doing it this way kept the linkages in a straight line.

I get more than 45deg throws out of the Tailerons and about 10deg throws out of the Ailerons so they don't hit the linkage to the Tailerons.

I like my F22 to be super light so I use 1300mAh 3S packs. I also like to keep everything inside the fuselage so I mounted the servo's as far forward as possible. Therefore I too used CF tube to stiffen the wire leading to the Aileron horns.

Cheers
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Hey nrg2go,

I like the way you kept the linkages in a straight line. Clean and simple. Unfortunately, and I don't know what I was thinking, I connected my control horns before working out the connections so they were too far out from the body and a straight line connection would have interfered with the ailerons. I tried to angle the wires around but that introduced so much play that the elevons became useless.

<<C>>
BladeGrip is offline Find More Posts by BladeGrip
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:35 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
My 6th profile F-22 Maiden Flight report w/ pics and Videos

What can I say. You've flown one you've flown them all. I agree with Birdofplay ... Great plan form, behaves consistantly build after build, after build and so on and so on. lol

The weather was perfect . Low ground fog after the rains yesterday was dissipating , hardly a whisper of a breeze. Eyeballed C G , surface throws and away we go.
It was a little slow on 3s . But on 4s 1000ma it is a fine preformer ... Just like all the others....
Only adjustment needed was one washer of up thrust on the thrust line to make it track evenly between throttle on and throttle off.
It floats, It zooms, It loops,It rolls.. A real nice park flyer
Maiden Flight Pre-Flight joking with Flying Buddies
Part 1
20111120 0196 (0 min 53 sec)

Part 2 The launch
20111120 0197 (3 min 45 sec)

Part 3 Mid Flight
20111120 0198 (0 min 26 sec)

Part 4 The Landing
20111120 0199 (0 min 45 sec)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:41 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
O K lets let the good 3d pilot try it. Mikey doesn't like anything
Part 5
20111121 0200 (1 min 14 sec)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
He LIKES IT HE LIKES IT
Part 6
20111121 0201 (0 min 33 sec)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
It's a keeper
Part 7
20111121 0202 (0 min 33 sec)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:46 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
And then we went to a 4s battery and we never went back to 3s. Put 5 flights on it .
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:33 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
So we swaped out the Hobby People 1200 kv motor for a custom wound ( by Bob Vincent co developer of Jet Screamers) De-novo Jet Screamer motor . And now it flys lighter than before on 2 cells. Here's a sunset flight flown by Bob himself.
20111127 0054 (3 min 3 sec)
Last edited by alpea 41; Nov 28, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 09:20 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,275 Posts
Flys so out standing there are 3 guys in my flying club who say they will build one . One of em has already started cutting foam
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,696 Posts
And he just glued the cf spar in it , i routed the slot for the spar unlike the slot the plans show , that way on the top no spar shows .....
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett