HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:29 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Guess I shoulda let it go, eh ;>}

I am just amazed that there IS NO colored Depron 'cept for White and Black, ya know ?

OK blue fff and Pin fff but those arent much of an alternative. :-(

SO ??? are you saying that This Colored depron has a better paper than the
cardboard covered stuff we call Artboard here in the USA ?

Better meaning Lighter and Smoother and Lighter than the artboard stuff that everyone SOAKS off b4 use.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:36 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
No depron here, so I got no choice anyways.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:43 AM
Sometimes it work some don't
╔mirats arabes unis, Ras el Kha´mah, Ras Al-Khaimah
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
I was based in IloIlo Batusaix and there unfortunately no Depron available only that 1" thickness Styro Grrrrrr!

Thanks for your appreciations Ras Al Khaimah is like Dubai 30 years ago lololol can you believe Dubai came to this developpment in 15 years! Anyway I was fed up with Dubai and happy again since I live in RAK as it is a tottaly different feeling!
RCSquale is offline Find More Posts by RCSquale
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:46 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,675 Posts
Hey Bob, there's grey depron too.

Personally, I dislike the black and grey. They seem flimsier than the white.

And there's always spray paint.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Yes Birdofplay, this type is way lighter then the cardboard covered!!! And have a nice slight glossy feeling to it, colors are brighter as well.

When I start scratchbuilding I was using the cardboard covered and didn't remove the paper... My different build were stronger on impact then the vinyl covered one but on the down side heavier!

For sure I do not understand why they don't make different color Depron but never the less we are lucky enought to have that material available to us. What I do is color the white trench with a permanant marker to give a proper finish... I'm do it on the F-22 I will see
Old Sep 09, 2011, 08:30 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Here is a little update on my build, I completed most of the gluing now remaining to me is to glue on the Rudders and to my electronics hatch.

I decided like the video tutorial to use only tape instead of CF rod or bbq skewers to reinforce my wing. Anyway I'm not a crazy flyier so it should be alright! Then I colored the tape with a black permanent pen which give a bee type to the wing lol
Old Sep 10, 2011, 03:41 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
I have a little question for you guys.

The CoG on this one is mentioned on Thome site to be: CoG location 8.25 cm (3.25 inches) back from the front of the main wing Propeller slot

Does it mean red or light blue?

My understanding of the CoG location is to be calculated in red on my picture.

Thanks for confirming this.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:11 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSquale View Post
I have a little question for you guys.

The CoG on this one is mentioned on Thome site to be: CoG location 8.25 cm (3.25 inches) back from the front of the main wing Propeller slot

Does it mean red or light blue?

My understanding of the CoG location is to be calculated in red on my picture.

Thanks for confirming this.
On page 8 of Tomhe's instructions it says "Center of Gravity Location is 3.25” rear of the wing break (wing break is shown below)"

Page 9 shows you using a red arrow where this wing break is, therefore your RED version would be correct.

cheers
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Cheers buddy sor from my picture the red arrow I count 3.25 " or 8.25 cm from there and I have my CoG.

Here is some more update on my build, I have done a full front fuselage with a plastic canopy using 2mm depron and a bottle of soft drink.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Well maiden was done and definitly underpowered, I'm spot on with the CG but I should probably move forward my esc and RX

Here is my short maiden:

Maiden of Scratchbuil F-22 (0 min 53 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 03:35 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
If your ESC can handle 4 cells then Maybe it would be worth trying.

IF you plane does not want to jump out of your hand at full throttle
then you need MORE "Juice" :-)))

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
My ESC is a 30A, I definitly need more juice that is for sure!!

But it is not a failure as when I throw it, it was nice and stable... I'd say it is a keeper!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:26 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
My ESC is a 30A, I definitly need more juice that is for sure!!

But it is not a failure as when I throw it, it was nice and stable... I'd say it is a keeper!
RCSquale can you give me the actual HK number for the motor you are using? By the kV you mention (1700) it seems that it needs to spin a large prop to get the thrust you will need. What prop are you using as well please.

From the short video it did appear to be on the stall most of the time. You need to let that nose come down a bit and let her fly.

Nice maiden.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 03:35 AM
Joined Oct 2010
944 Posts
Well nrg2go, it is actually a Turnigy C2826 - 1900 kva.

I agree with you, I need a bigger battery to balance more nose heavy. What I don't get is that with my set up I'm right on given CG by Thome...

I reckon my battery are a bit tired now and don't give me a nice punch. i need to buy maybe a good 2200 mAh batt....

By the way the prop I used was a bit more then a 6x4 ... Can't really put bigger as I will end up in my rudders

Cheers for your appreciation
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:01 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Australia, NT, Katherine
Joined Apr 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Well nrg2go, it is actually a Turnigy C2826 - 1900 kva.

I agree with you, I need a bigger battery to balance more nose heavy. What I don't get is that with my set up I'm right on given CG by Thome...

I reckon my battery are a bit tired now and don't give me a nice punch. i need to buy maybe a good 2200 mAh batt....

By the way the prop I used was a bit more then a 6x4 ... Can't really put bigger as I will end up in my rudders

Cheers for your appreciation
I didn't say bigger batt, I said bigger prop. I know you can't swing a bigger prop but this motor needs a bigger prop (8x6) to produce decent thrust.

What I'm trying to say is you need a motor to match a 6" prop. This motor is not it. Get a higher kV motor such that you get the thrust at 6".

The specs for your motor says 8x6 for 3S and the thrust is rated between 200-520g. A 6x4 is probably producing around 300-350 tops. You can try a healthier batt but I don't think things will get much better.

She flys if you keep the speed up, but you won't have "get out of trouble" power when you need it. Maybe some others on the thread could suggest other motors? The motor I use is not available any more, a LSSPJ at 32g 2350kV 250W swinging a 7x5 producing around 24oz of thrust at 3S.