Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 07:33 PM
United States, MS
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Just maidened mine today...all i can say is why in the heck didn't i listen to the guys at the field sooner. While everyone else was grounded because of the wind i was burning through packs If anyone is cruzin this thread in the thoughts of possibly buying one DO IT.

By the way, im relatively a noob to r/c planes and i find this plane a breeze to fly.
Downsouth is offline Find More Posts by Downsouth
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:02 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
OK thats a fair question, nrg2go !

Back in the OLD DAYS - remember Black and White TV ?

I used to fly U-Control or Control line planes around in a big circle.

Back then we would hookup the Flaps to be Opposite of the Elevator.

The thinking being ...
Flaps increase Lift when Lowered and Elevator increases Angle of attack
so a loop could be do REAL TIGHT.

FAST FORWARD a few years - forget color tv ====> Flatscreen HD et al :-)

So Now when the ailerons(flaps in this case) are hooked up THE SAME DIRECTION
as the Elevators - well ... it was going against the u-Control thinking.

OK it was only somewhat contrary for Elevator use NOT Aileron use.

Still I have to wonder if these Prop in slot ,Vectored thurst jets "Might" not benefit from
Separate FLAPS and Ailerons with Ailerons going the same as Elevators and FLAPS gong the opposite.
Those Cobras Might just become SEVERE , stop in the mid flight wonders ~!

I hope that explains my initial perplexity over Chara's hook up.
Seems like everyone is doing it that way these days, with great success.

REGARDLESS - my Mig-29 rolls so fast I just have to STOP and see what happened !
THEN make corrections if necessary - Hole E SMOKES !!!

My F-22 is a bit less fast but still pretty darn quick !

C U L8r

Bob

Bob,

I tried this quite some time ago (about 1 - 1.5 yrs ago) on a profile F22, I forgot which one - but I think it is this one. The plane managed to flip over itself in about 2 ft! I then really had to pour on the coals to get it to go in the right direction before it fell out of the sky. Luckily it was so light, just a bit of forward speed and it managed to fly.

I totaled it one day with a dumb thumb flying inverted 3 feet above ground. It was fun while I had it, though.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:45 AM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
I guess I was focusing on roll and wasn't considering the pitch effects. Your right, downward going ailerons tend to assist in upward pitch. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Just a thought...please correct me if my assumptions are wrong! In a plane like this, where the trailing edges of the main wings are pretty far aft of the cg... wouldn't downward going ailerons actually force the nose down -- just like elevator? All of my f-22 builds have linked ailerons/tailerons -- I thought this was one of the reasons why it is so great at high alpha (spoilerons). I also assume that on a full size jet, that the cg is much further back which is why they use flaps going down. (?).
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in here, I believe that SNice is right on this point Bob, with the ailerons so far behind the C/G they act more like elevators if they are setup to work opposite I think you will find them working against the elevator and elevons, unlike the old U-control setup flaps down elevator up and vice-versa. Raising the ailerons act as elevators/spoilers and help a great deal on hold high alpha. I noticed that DavePowers has his f-22 setup with dual rudder servos and dual elevator servos, check out his latest video here:
F-22 ADVANCED FLIGHT CONTROLS (2 min 46 sec)
He also likes to use gyros a lot to stabilize his planes.
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Feb 08, 2011, 08:59 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
crashed my plane! but man was it cool!,.. I need to throttle manage it better,.. LOL,.. I flew it again in high winds with some juice ( it was behavin' like a pylon racer,..) then "it caught an edge" and got behind me,.. so I nosed it in amazingly stupid but no one was there,.. and amazingly enough its just the nose section that tore off,.. when I get some time off I will have to genetically splice another section on to it,.. half to 5/8's throttle is good enough for me from now on! with full throttle for verts,... i cant say enough for this plane,.. still in love with it,..
Blueangels4 is offline Find More Posts by Blueangels4
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:04 AM
Nasir Khan
Australia, NSW, Fairfield
Joined Feb 2009
320 Posts
Nice work guys,
subhan.nasir is offline Find More Posts by subhan.nasir
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:10 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,543 Posts
Dang it Jim,

Although my original still lives, I may just have to build another
to play with , like the vid that you furnished above.

What versionn is that one ?
It appears to have KFM wing and full fuse up front.

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Dang it Jim,

Although my original still lives, I may just have to build another
to play with , like the vid that you furnished above.

What versionn is that one ?
It appears to have KFM wing and full fuse up front.

Bob
Bob,

That is a Dave Powers version; he has done a lot of gyro stuff with different parkjets of his own design, playing around with high alpha using gyros to stabilize them. It appears this version is slightly larger with the fuller nose and KF airfoil, not sure as I have not purchased his plans.

I started back up into R/C a couple of years ago; the electric model performance really got my interest back into R/C. I started with one of Dave’s F-177, all white depron, flew it with snow on the ground, a real camo version. I've learned a lot since then about the electric side of the hobby but by no means a master at any of it, but having a ball learning and playing around with watts, amps & volts, interesting fellows those three!

jb

http://www.rcsuperpowers.com/
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,543 Posts
It's not a big job to toss on some faceted sheeting to fill in the nose.
I might have to give it a try.

Thanx for link.

L8r

bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 19, 2011, 06:02 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
This plane is so fun.

I'm running it with 610mah rhino, 20amp esc, 2850kv with 6x4 prop.

It's so light you fly it low. Eye level backflips to floating hover.

I'm divided to build a v2 or try other designs.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,187 Posts
Try other designs, especially the F-18 by tomhe and the Saab Draken by vleisie.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Thanks Pat, I believe I will. It's just that this plane flies so well you just want to have a backup plane anytime.

I got the Draken framed up, just waiting for motors & esc. Plan to run it on 3S.
The mini F-18 I'm 50-50, seems too small a wing area.
I want something fast on 2S, I'm thinking of a mini Eurofighter.

The tiny rhino 610mah 2S made the 100% Tomhe F-22 a featherweight. It literally floats. I have a tiny negative(down) thrust on the motor mount. It has a weird effect, I like it, it keeps the nose down when you apply full throttle.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
Roseville, CA
Joined May 2005
249 Posts
Time to use this great design with an EDF. Bought a plane from HL F-35 which had 2 good flights and 10 crashes. Have all the electronics, and my Tomhe F-22 has been around and flying so stable, that I'm going to try putting the EDF on it.

The attached looks like the Tomhe design, and I'll try to copy this, still using my 24" plans.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9004

No I'm not tearing up my old model, building a new one.
unloco2 is offline Find More Posts by unloco2
Last edited by unloco2; Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: adding text
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:56 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unloco2 View Post
Time to use this great design with an EDF. Bought a plane from HL F-35 which had 2 good flights and 10 crashes. Have all the electronics, and my Tomhe F-22 has been around and flying so stable, that I'm going to try putting the EDF on it.

The attached looks like the Tomhe design, and I'll try to copy this, still using my 24" plans.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9004

No I'm not tearing up my old model, building a new one.
...just my $0.02 - not sure what type of flying performance you are looking for but you might want to build her a bit bigger if not full size -- 28". Here's why: the edf's are not as efficient as the props. Ive converted several profile pushers to edf's and my favorite is the f22. My earlier versions were smaller -- they flew fine but they tended to need much more speed to stay afloat and maneuvers were much larger. When I built the 28" version -for 64mm and twin 55mm- she was naturally a floater -- still have all the thrust, a little less speed (due to increased drag) but much lighter wing loading. Which maes her more maneuverable and better at slow speed handling. I could fly her around with ease on a baseball field. Also, another
thing to remember-- the larger size will accept a wider range of battery sizes. Which will allow you to fly longer than 3minutes!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
Roseville, CA
Joined May 2005
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
...just my $0.02 - not sure what type of flying performance you are looking for but you might want to build her a bit bigger if not full size -- 28". Here's why: the edf's are not as efficient as the props. Ive converted several profile pushers to edf's and my favorite is the f22. My earlier versions were smaller -- they flew fine but they tended to need much more speed to stay afloat and maneuvers were much larger. When I built the 28" version -for 64mm and twin 55mm- she was naturally a floater -- still have all the thrust, a little less speed (due to increased drag) but much lighter wing loading. Which maes her more maneuverable and better at slow speed handling. I could fly her around with ease on a baseball field. Also, another
thing to remember-- the larger size will accept a wider range of battery sizes. Which will allow you to fly longer than 3minutes!
Thanks for the good advise. Did you bring up the link to the HobbyKing F-22?
That is the only reference I have for the EDF placement and is there another forum where you may have posted pictures?

I'm going to attempt bigger, the EDF unit I have is a 64mm. Still have a bunch of questions, but this is probably not the forum for them. Thanks again to all for your patience.
unloco2 is offline Find More Posts by unloco2
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:42 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
No problem!! I've gotten so much from these forums -- I'm just glad to be able to give back a little. The plans I used are the tomhe plans which seethe same as the 6mm fly rc plans. The only difference is that instead of cutting a prop slot, you are cutting a hole for the edf to fit in. If I had to do it all over, I would have first built the plane and placed all electronics and battery. Then I would have places the motor and cut the hole to get the proper cg. I'm not at my base computer so I cannot pos pics right now, but I have posted pics and video earlier in this thread. Also check out my page -- I think I have videos of both in action. Feel free to ask any questions -- I'll do my best to answer!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice