SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2011, 03:26 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
OK next installment.

I noticed in my 100% Tomhe build that some cracking was starting toward the rear of the intake sides. I strengthened this one in key areas with minimal wt gain.

Intake sides x 2 were 3g naked, 4g after CF and Kevlar.
Main wing was 16g naked, 30g after CF and Kevlar.

May have gone too large on the CF tow on the wing. 50K may not have been needed but it will still come out below 6oz. Perhaps I will go down one size in the Tow for the second aircraft if this one feels super strong.

Well everything is ready for resin now, will do it this weekend sometime.

I wonder if anyone will pickup whats different about this F22 besides the use of CF and Kevlar.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:58 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
OK next installment.

I noticed in my 100% Tomhe build that some cracking was starting toward the rear of the intake sides. I strengthened this one in key areas with minimal wt gain.

Intake sides x 2 were 3g naked, 4g after CF and Kevlar.
Main wing was 16g naked, 30g after CF and Kevlar.

May have gone too large on the CF tow on the wing. 50K may not have been needed but it will still come out below 6oz. Perhaps I will go down one size in the Tow for the second aircraft if this one feels super strong.

Well everything is ready for resin now, will do it this weekend sometime.

I wonder if anyone will pickup whats different about this F22 besides the use of CF and Kevlar.
No center spar?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:43 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
No TV???
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Nope. It has CF Tow on the surface instead of the traditional spar.
Nope. Although the Tomhe design never truly had TV, the Tailerons are still in the prop wash. They just don't have the bits forward of the hinge line.

Looks like it won't be noticeable.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:27 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,190 Posts
On the smaller plane, the tabs are completely unnecessary.

Today was the first day of the Arizona Electric Festival. Winds were 20 gusting to 25 early in the day, and I had to fly something. So I pulled out my trusty mini F-22 and had a go! Boy was that fun!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:39 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
On the smaller plane, the tabs are completely unnecessary.

Today was the first day of the Arizona Electric Festival. Winds were 20 gusting to 25 early in the day, and I had to fly something. So I pulled out my trusty mini F-22 and had a go! Boy was that fun!

Pat
I don't follow your logic their??

I would not like the idea of bonding the vert fins directly to a flat surface and not help lock them in using tabs.

I would not like the idea of bonding the intake sides directly to a flat surface and not help lock them in using tabs.

I would go the other way and say the tabs are completely necessary on the QB construction regardless of size. But perhaps I am just overly cautious.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,190 Posts
Sorry, I meant the thrust vectoring tabs on the tailerons, not the tabs for assembly.

Pat
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Sorry, I meant the thrust vectoring tabs on the tailerons, not the tabs for assembly.

Pat
Ahh got ya, miss understanding sorry.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:28 PM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
Well Pat I finally maidened!,..
I havent flown RC for 9years,.. built been building like crazy for the last 2 years,.. working on a cool project with a friend in germany for a while,.. and its finally nearing completion! soo I figure I would get some stick time in!,..before I fly mine,. read this thread over and over again,.. and started building my f-22 gosh about a year ago..I finally got my F-22 done ,..sooo off I went today to fly it!,..

showed up at a huge field 5mins from my office,.. it was a bit gusty I have no idea how windy it was but I did some gliding test to figure out how best to hand launch it,.. man did it ever glide great,.. I had a buddy there so on the third hand glide test we agreed I would just "juice it" flew like a paper airplane right out of his hand! got 2 flights before the winds were too much!,.. this thing goes ballistic in 0 seconds flat!,.. but yet sails like a kite!,.. and it was gentle like a trainer,.. but vertical oh yeah baby unlimited,.. TILL,...

I did some simple circuits to trim it out and to tell you the truth,.. it tracked straight!,.. but the winds picked up to much that it took over my plane and I actually cut the power to bring it back down, it actually did not want to land! this thing actually floated for ever,..I had to get some power back on to get some control to floated back down and settled down like a piece of paper on the grass,.. winds died down to I took it up a second time,..

launched it,.. when vertical got it to a good altitude,..then I got caught with my pants down the gusts were up higher!,.. my plane got tossed around up there too!,.. so I pointed the nose towards the wind and throttled down,.. at one point it actually stayed in the exact spot up in the air,.. then a bigger gust of wind came up and made it go nose high and tail down,..and it was going backwards! YIKES,. I thought I was gonna lose it!,.. juiced it and it brought the tail back up circled it around and plopped it down,.. PHEW!

lesson learned dont fly in windy conditions,.. plane is untouched!,..got some good circuits in,.. and got my heart rate up in others!,..

after the flights I thought about the tail down action,.. and thought it was weird so I recheck my CG,.. turns out it was a bit tail heavy which was my fault when I reinstalled my battery right before the field,..DUH,...

all this to say that this plane is amazing and certainly great for a first plane or a get a reacquainted plane,.. tomorrow I am going back ( hopefully with no wind ) to do some real flying!!!and Proper CG!!!!,. my plane is still unpainted!,..
Blueangels4 is offline Find More Posts by Blueangels4
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangels4 View Post
Well Pat I finally maidened!,..
I havent flown RC for 9years,.. built been building like crazy for the last 2 years,.. working on a cool project with a friend in germany for a while,.. and its finally nearing completion! soo I figure I would get some stick time in!,..before I fly mine,. read this thread over and over again,.. and started building my f-22 gosh about a year ago..I finally got my F-22 done ,..sooo off I went today to fly it!,..

showed up at a huge field 5mins from my office,.. it was a bit gusty I have no idea how windy it was but I did some gliding test to figure out how best to hand launch it,.. man did it ever glide great,.. I had a buddy there so on the third hand glide test we agreed I would just "juice it" flew like a paper airplane right out of his hand! got 2 flights before the winds were too much!,.. this thing goes ballistic in 0 seconds flat!,.. but yet sails like a kite!,.. and it was gentle like a trainer,.. but vertical oh yeah baby unlimited,.. TILL,...

I did some simple circuits to trim it out and to tell you the truth,.. it tracked straight!,.. but the winds picked up to much that it took over my plane and I actually cut the power to bring it back down, it actually did not want to land! this thing actually floated for ever,..I had to get some power back on to get some control to floated back down and settled down like a piece of paper on the grass,.. winds died down to I took it up a second time,..

launched it,.. when vertical got it to a good altitude,..then I got caught with my pants down the gusts were up higher!,.. my plane got tossed around up there too!,.. so I pointed the nose towards the wind and throttled down,.. at one point it actually stayed in the exact spot up in the air,.. then a bigger gust of wind came up and made it go nose high and tail down,..and it was going backwards! YIKES,. I thought I was gonna lose it!,.. juiced it and it brought the tail back up circled it around and plopped it down,.. PHEW!

lesson learned dont fly in windy conditions,.. plane is untouched!,..got some good circuits in,.. and got my heart rate up in others!,..

after the flights I thought about the tail down action,.. and thought it was weird so I recheck my CG,.. turns out it was a bit tail heavy which was my fault when I reinstalled my battery right before the field,..DUH,...

all this to say that this plane is amazing and certainly great for a first plane or a get a reacquainted plane,.. tomorrow I am going back ( hopefully with no wind ) to do some real flying!!!and Proper CG!!!!,. my plane is still unpainted!,..
Nicely done and welcome back to the illness. Flying backwards in the wind is always a crowd pleaser with this design.

When you do paint her is there going to be Blue and Yellow in your scheme??
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:37 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
hahaha! true!,.. I was driving my son to school and asked him how we should paint the plane!,...I described trams version,.. white with flourescent green angled stripes,.. which takes the pressure off of doing it scale,.. (even though I researched all the panel lines etc),.. then my boys eye lit up! he said BLUE ANGELS!,.. I thought it would be cool for split second but imagined the amount of heckling at the field or the "well you know" speeches,... LOL,.. so as I tried talkin him into the traditional he just kept repeating,.. blue angles,.. HAHAHA,.. so at lunch I told him I would buy more depron,.. to build the tomhe F-18,..,.. low vis grey will be the paint scheme,..
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:14 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,190 Posts
Congrats on the maiden flight! This plane is a ton of fun, isn't it?

Now hurry up and get that secret project done!

Pat
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:33 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
the plane IS a ton of fun!,..the secret project is almost ready!,.. I will be starting to build withing a week or two! this morning I put a mixture of WBPU and that white hobbylite filler,.. to a watery pancake mix,..and painted it all over the 22,.. its still windy today so I figured I could at least start on the finishing!,.. after my sons football game I am gonna sand my fingers raw!,.. then just put a base coat of light grey on the 22,.. then go flying again,.. ( am experimenting with finishing on this plane so everything goes smooth on the 16B,.. UHM I mean secret project! )
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:36 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Nicely done and welcome back to the illness. Flying backwards in the wind is always a crowd pleaser with this design.

When you do paint her is there going to be Blue and Yellow in your scheme??
your superhornet is gorgeous,.. when I build mine in will be in canadian tigerstripes,... UHM,.. I just heard my son yell Blueangels again!,.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:07 AM
orlando FL
Joined Aug 2005
745 Posts
inspiration for any one building slow like I did,..

F22 Raptor Take-off at RIAT 2010 (0 min 26 sec)