HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:37 AM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Any word on those hat cam pictures crazyj? My F-22 is now half way through finishing off, so I'd imagine it'll be ready this week sometime however I doubt it will be anywhere near 6oz!!! I'm going for around 18-22oz...
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:57 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
All I can do is prep some bits here and their until I get to work Monday and print-off some 65% plans. I have made four CF control horns and two CF motor mounts ready for the two aircraft I will be building. I also have some depron from a bad batch that was lighter and softer than it should have been. We got to keep the 40 sheets the club ordered and was supplied with replacement 40 sheets. Down at this scale I don't think the lighter/softer sheets will be critical, but it will give me some more wt savings.

I am also going to employ some CF rovings and kevlar tissue, but I'll post more on that when I get to it. Goal is to keep it to the 6oz maximum, or less if possible.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider-man View Post
Any word on those hat cam pictures crazyj? My F-22 is now half way through finishing off, so I'd imagine it'll be ready this week sometime however I doubt it will be anywhere near 6oz!!! I'm going for around 18-22oz...
I'll try to get the photos tonight. Work has caused me to forget my life and hobby for the past week - typing this while at work
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:37 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Hey fellas, I'm glad I've stoked the fire on this little airplane...

Here's my setup infomation:

Here's the motor I'm using: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6311

I'm also using:

GWS 5 x 4.3 DD prop
Castle Thunderbird 9amp esc
3s 500 mah lipo battery (Turnigy 20c)
2x 5 gram HXT servos

Regards,
Jason
Crazyj,

I printed Tomhe plans at 65% today and measured the prop opening and it is only just over 4". Even if I take the opening right out to the vertical fins the opening is only just over 4.5".

Is yours 65%? did you use Tomhe's original plans? what is the wingspan of yours because mine comes out at 467mm (use google to convert). I can't see how a 5" prop can be fitted, perhaps if I know your wingspan I can figure out what % yours is. Maybe you cut away some of the vertical fins as well.

Cheers
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:40 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,240 Posts
See post 2078 above.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:32 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
See post 2078 above.

Pat
Wow All I thought I had to do was print off the original Tomhe plans at 65%. How wrong was I
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:51 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider-man View Post
It's massive!!! Who's idea was it to go 100%?? This is bound to be a floater no matter how heavy I build it... I guess I'm going to be cutting out notches for the rest of the day. Wahooo .

Just out of interest how much does a sheet of 6mm depron weigh? I've got a 20kg/m3 EPP sheet here that weighs about 100g and a 30kg/m3 that weighs 150g.
Glider-man

I had some data laying around on 6mm depron when I suspected we got a bad batch.

A good sheet of 6mm depron was 166g for a 995mm x 700mm sheet. Interestingly the bad stuff was 114g for a 1000mm x 700mm sheet, I was thinking of using the bad depron but I think I will use 3mm for the 65% build. Hope you can use the data on the good depron.

Cheers
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:45 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Yeah thats good... thanks again!
Old Jan 26, 2011, 03:27 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
OK, motor, prop, ESC, servo's, LiPo's on the way.

Bits cut out and reinforced with 6K CF Tow and then covered with Kevlar tissue. This is done by spraying a light coat of spray glue for the Tow and Kevlar to stick to.

Tailerons x 2 were 2g naked, 3g after CF and Kevlar.
Vert Fins x 2 were 3g naked, 4g after CF and Kevlar. Edges also have CF Tow on them.
Fuse Profile x 3 bits were 2g naked, 3g after CF and Kevlar. Bottom piece has CF Tow on edge.
Fuse Bottom was 3g naked, 4g after CF and Kevlar.

All will go up by I'm estimating another 1 to 2g each after Resin.

Fuse Sides and main wing next.

This baby is going to be light, rigid and strong. I should easily make 6oz or less. Estimating AUW of 5.5oz.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:51 AM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
nrg2go,

What is '6K CF Tow'? I think the CF is for carbon fiber but what is the rest? Do they let us have it here in the US? Looks like great reinforcing? Do you just lay it on the surface or rout it in or cut a groove for it? Thanks!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
nrg2go,

What is '6K CF Tow'? I think the CF is for carbon fiber but what is the rest? Do they let us have it here in the US? Looks like great reinforcing? Do you just lay it on the surface or rout it in or cut a groove for it? Thanks!
Here you go http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272630

(Didn't know myself)
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:56 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Where do you get your supplies? I've heard of CF tissue not kevlar, composites always have such a good finish... I must say I'm a bit jealous! Are you going to bag them or just apply pressure? Good luck anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 04:33 PM
beemerdon
USA, NC, Charlotte
Joined Nov 2009
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Thanks! So it's sort of a wide 'thread', the stuff that's woven for carbon fiber cloth. Sounds like neat stuff, a little more high tech than the packing tape I have been using!

Don
beemerdon is offline Find More Posts by beemerdon
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:13 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
nrg2go,

Don
Hi Beemerdon,

Park Flyer answered some of your question. Thanks Park Flyer

They most certainly do let you have it in the US. Go here http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php its where I get mine. You will find the CF tissue as well as the Kevlar tissue here too. For indoor models I'm happy using CF tissue, but for outdoor parkflyers that will venture much further away from me I prefer Kevlar. Why? well RF attenuation of course, allot of CF Gliders come with Kevlar noses to make them 2.4G Rx friendly nowadays.

As an example of the 6K I'm using for the smaller parts of the 65% F22 build:
6K Carbon Fiber Tow (Ribbon)

A high strength, medium modulus carbon fiber tow, also referred to as a ribbon, that is loosely bonded together with an epoxy sizing to hold the fibers for handling and bonding purposes. Approx. 6,000 filaments of carbon fiber are bundled together to make a flat ribbon. Approx. width is 1/8".
You just lay the ribbon on the foam surface. Because we are only talking 3mm depron here I don't bother with bagging and such. I have a thick piece of glass on my work bench, I wet the readied pieces with resin (less is more) and put a plastic sheet (over here I use 'Glad Go Between' from the supermarket) on both sides for release. Then I lay it down on the glass, put another piece of glass on top and apply weights.

All this ensures smooth, dead flat surfaces once cured. Be sure there are no wrinkles or bubbles under the plastic. The resin obviously provides the bond and strength to what you see in my pic's above, but you reach a point where any more resin is simply only adding weight not strength.

I will post some more pic's as I progress. I will be using the 50K CF Tow for the main wing as it will be my spar. I will go across where the spar would be and have a strip from each end of the spar meeting up the front forming a triangle. The exact same will be underneath as well.

Is it flat you ask? Well after you apply the weights the ribbon essentially beds into the foam and it is almost flush with the foam surface.

Hope that helps explain a little more. Can't wait to have the little 65% flying.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:18 AM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Dear Santa...