HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:51 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Oct 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
SNice-- Way cool removable EDF units! How's it fly with them?

Keith--awesome little video with the camera waaaaaay out there! I've thought of doing that but never got around to it. How long was your extension rod? I'm sure it flew quite a bit different huh?
Sorry forgot to add that the rod extended about 45cm past the front of the nose. That's about 18 inches for all you Americans still on the crazy Imperial measurement system (that I still quite can't get my head around! )

The actual rod length is a lot longer as it extends from just in front of the motor. I epoxied a little "T" ply section at the back end with two holes in. This was then nylon-bolted through the bottom of the fuse, just behind the hatch with some ply washers in the inside. The front was attached with a strong elastic band that you can see (although I will probably use clear tape next time to hide it a bit!). Not sure of the diameter of the CF rod as I just used a piece that was hanging about in my workshop! I'd quite like it a bit more "floppy" as it will show a bit more movement relative to the plane and that makes it look even more cool! (Makes it look like it is shot from the tail of a lead plane! )

Cheers

Keith
KeithLindsay is offline Find More Posts by KeithLindsay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
why
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Hi
Where is the CG location?
Photos please!!
why is offline Find More Posts by why
Old Oct 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Hi
Where is the CG location?
Photos please!!
Go here http://rc.tomhe.net/f-22 and all should be revealed. The build instructions show you graphically where the CoG should be.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Another Vid...

Here's the latest Video of my f-22 after I swaped back to the prop design. got away from the EDF units (too high maintenance).

I have to admit that this has been the absolute Best FFF Designs I've flown in a long time... Very stable, even with 100% Throws, and looks great! What a joy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSjXzdS9tUs
keebler117 is offline Find More Posts by keebler117
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:09 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Oct 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler117 View Post
Here's the latest Video of my f-22 after I swaped back to the prop design. got away from the EDF units (too high maintenance).

I have to admit that this has been the absolute Best FFF Designs I've flown in a long time... Very stable, even with 100% Throws, and looks great! What a joy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSjXzdS9tUs
Hi Keebler!

Shape/champher/sand/taper those leading and trailing edges a bit!! Makes a surprising difference, easy to do and looks nicer too!

Cheers
Keith
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:53 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLindsay View Post
Hi Keebler!

Shape/champher/sand/taper those leading and trailing edges a bit!! Makes a surprising difference, easy to do and looks nicer too!

Cheers
Keith
It's a personal thing really, I don't bother tapering my TEs on the QB's but I always round the LE's.
I can't put my hand on my heart and say there is an appreciable difference, but then again I'm not interested in blasting around the sky at break-neck speeds.
The following http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285530 is a small discussion on 'blunt or tapered'.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Oct 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
It's a personal thing really, I don't bother tapering my TEs on the QB's but I always round the LE's.
I can't put my hand on my heart and say there is an appreciable difference, but then again I'm not interested in blasting around the sky at break-neck speeds.
The following http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1285530 is a small discussion on 'blunt or tapered'.
Fair enough.....maybe it just looks nicer! (Besides one has to find something to tinker with on your quickies once you've brought it home from the field and can't fly anymore for the day!)

Cheers
Keith
Old Nov 01, 2010, 11:57 AM
heerlen holland
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
I would like to build this plane to at 125% A4 with borders. Can somebody help me please?
rogerkr is offline Find More Posts by rogerkr
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkr View Post
I would like to build this plane to at 125% A4 with borders. Can somebody help me please?
Ask and you shall receive!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Nov 01, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:18 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Time for some Night Flights!

Hi Guys,

I have been busy with this and that but finally got time to do this! I ordered up some LEDs a few weeks ago and had played with them some when I got them and thought that the F-22 would be the perfect candidate to try them out on, so the weather has cleared out and looks like Ill have some good weather to fly on my days off. (never thought I would like working 4-10s)

Never thought I would brag about having a "fly-by-night" outfit!

jb
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:40 PM
heerlen holland
Joined Nov 2009
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Ask and you shall receive!

Pat
Pat; Thank you verry mutch...... I want to use a 2500Kv motor 600W on 4s (3000mAh). Becouse of the weight i wanted to scale it up a bit. Just a test.

Keep you informed......................
rogerkr is offline Find More Posts by rogerkr
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:30 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
Looks good Jim!
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Nov 02, 2010, 04:20 PM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Looks good Jim!
Thanks Sammy,

I took it out this morning just to be sure I hadn't wired it up wrong and after a couple of batteries I am ready to try it tonight! Start just before it gets really dark and then see how it goes! Should be interesting to say the least.

jb

NightFlight F-22.AVI (2 min 33 sec)

I took it out later when the stars were bright, the wife went with me to watch. I got a little far away and could not tell if it was coming or going, She said I think it is going away, I thought might be but it isn't getting any smaller so I'll wait. Sure enough here it comes, lesson learned, stay fairly close or add more lights!
Last edited by JIMBAKER; Nov 03, 2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added Youtube post
Old Nov 03, 2010, 01:04 AM
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Posted Video in my last post!

Night Flying the tomhe F-22.wmv (3 min 25 sec)
Last edited by JIMBAKER; Nov 03, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: new video
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:06 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,107 Posts
Nice flying Jim! I'm debating putting lights on my mini-me. Should be tons of fun.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat