Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:06 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades View Post
Yes I reversed the shaft. It was pretty easy.

My run time is about 10 mins avg on half throttle with some high speed passes. motor and ESC are lukewarm. battery is somewhat warm
I wouldn't run any more amps on that fast motor- You would probably get more instant thrust with the smaller prop to spool.

The higher the rpm per kv the lower the torque per kv.
since HP=(Torque*RPM)/5252


besides, You don't need 50W more watts on a 500W 19oz F-22, it will rip it apart in 2 flights. I rarely hit WOT.

Matteo
Okay thanks Matteo for your reply. I plan on using this motor for my 23oz parkjets.

Here is my profile f-22 powered with a 55mm fan, 40amp esc, and don's wicked 4800kv motor on 4s. I feel this f-22 can take alot of weight and still fly very well, its just a matter of getting the cg right in my opinion.



and here is little brother in EPP 20" wing span version..........
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Last edited by profilefan; Mar 11, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:50 AM
Minister of R/C
HeliTB's Avatar
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
profilefan...Have you flown it? Not sure from your post. Also what fan 55mm fan is that? I'm an EDF man myself, so I would love to make one like yours.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:26 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliTB View Post
profilefan...Have you flown it? Not sure from your post. Also what fan 55mm fan is that? I'm an EDF man myself, so I would love to make one like yours.
Yes I have, one of my favorites. Its a XF fan that comes stock with the phase 3 fantom or f-16. I was originally running the stock motor and 30amp esc and it would fly but no vertical. I upgraded the motor to the Don's Wicked 4800kv and much better on 4s.

Not sure if you've seen this thread but this is a great and simple EDF to build, i'm working on my second one now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436290
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:57 AM
Registered User
SNice's Avatar
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
Hello All,

I've built a few of these profile, mid pusher models (f-16's, F-22's). All my previous builds have been very tame, nice flying models... I am now looking for more speed and more power. My question is how necessary are metal gear servos? I have a grayson V2 supersonic parkjet as well as a 64mm 4200kv EDF. Would the use of these motors require metal gear/high torque servos? What minimum stall torques should I be looking at... and what exactly is a 'stall torque'? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

Thanks Again,
Snice
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
Minister of R/C
HeliTB's Avatar
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by profilefan View Post
Yes I have, one of my favorites. Its a XF fan that comes stock with the phase 3 fantom or f-16. I was originally running the stock motor and 30amp esc and it would fly but no vertical. I upgraded the motor to the Don's Wicked 4800kv and much better on 4s.

Not sure if you've seen this thread but this is a great and simple EDF to build, i'm working on my second one now.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436290
profilefan...That's one nice looking Bandit. Was it easy to build?

Thanks for the info on the fan. How did you mount it to the plane can you post a pic for me?
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
crxmanpat's Avatar
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Hello All,

I've built a few of these profile, mid pusher models (f-16's, F-22's). All my previous builds have been very tame, nice flying models... I am now looking for more speed and more power. My question is how necessary are metal gear servos? I have a grayson V2 supersonic parkjet as well as a 64mm 4200kv EDF. Would the use of these motors require metal gear/high torque servos? What minimum stall torques should I be looking at... and what exactly is a 'stall torque'? Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

Thanks Again,
Snice
The Grayson V2 is the perfect hot motor for this plane. Use it with a 30A ESC and an APC 6X4E prop.

As for servos, just use regular old el cheapo 9g servos. No need for expensive metal gear ervos on these planes.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:02 AM
RC SAPRANOS
Glider-man's Avatar
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Profilefan, man your planes look fantastic! I really love the look of that edf mounted on the back... very unique! Great job!
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
HELITB- Thanks it was actually, very straight forward. Let me see if i have a pic i just hot glued the fan onto the foam from the top and the bottom.

GLIDER-MAN- Thanks, i originally didn't like the look but just wanted to test it out and now it has grown on me.
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:06 AM
Minister of R/C
HeliTB's Avatar
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
profilefan...I can get the fan but the housing is on backorder. What a bummer.
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:14 AM
Registered User
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,980 Posts
Profilefan,

I have 2 of these xf-fans from Hobby Lobby when they were still sending stuff to us in Malaysia. Now, it seems they don't want to send to Malaysia, even for us existing customers. Anyway, they are great little fans. Is there any other place where I can get them and also replacement rotors? The rotors on both fans are busted, and Hobby Lobby don't seem to carry spares, even when they were still selling to us.

Thanks. Btw, nicely done model

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2007
173 Posts
I just ordered the Free Wing EDF combo from Hobby-Lobby while they were having their foam jet blow-out sale. It is a 70mm fan with a 45amp esc and a 2850kv motor made for 4cell operation. I decided to retrofit my F-22 from a pusher to a EDF. I had a Grayson Hobbies 2212-06 w/ 6x4 that provided awesome performance, now we will see what an edf unit can do. I'll first try 3 cells and hope to sometime try 4 cell.
morgantwin11 is offline Find More Posts by morgantwin11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2007
173 Posts
Just maidened my newly converted F-22! Wow, it flew very nice and straight!! It actually had better vertical performance than I first thought it might. I certainly does not compare to the pusher prop performance, but maybe with the added 4th cell, things should change considerably!This was my first edf experience ever. Hope to have some pics up soon!
morgantwin11 is offline Find More Posts by morgantwin11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
Minister of R/C
HeliTB's Avatar
Fort Washington, MD
Joined Sep 2006
1,023 Posts
profilefan...I forgot to ask a very important question:

What size is your F-22? Standard or reduced plans? If, reduced what %?
-- Wing span?
-- Length?
HeliTB is offline Find More Posts by HeliTB
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:15 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
Profilefan,

I have 2 of these xf-fans from Hobby Lobby when they were still sending stuff to us in Malaysia. Now, it seems they don't want to send to Malaysia, even for us existing customers. Anyway, they are great little fans. Is there any other place where I can get them and also replacement rotors? The rotors on both fans are busted, and Hobby Lobby don't seem to carry spares, even when they were still selling to us.

Thanks. Btw, nicely done model

chewy
Hello Chewy, thanks for the compliment.

Try here, not sure if they ship to Malaysia but you can ask. It is the fan that they use in the phase 3 f-16 or phase 3 fantom.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/guru/hps_357056540.asp
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:22 AM
Registered User
profilefan's Avatar
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliTB View Post
profilefan...I forgot to ask a very important question:

What size is your F-22? Standard or reduced plans? If, reduced what %?
-- Wing span?
-- Length?
Hello it is the standard size no reduction in plan. I used a 3s 2200 mah 25c lipo with that fan/motor/30amp esc. I believe my lipos weigh 175-200 grams. My lipo was placed right where the intakes are. The fan unit was placed exactly where the cut out for the prop was.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. Saw your purchase in the classifieds
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video f-22 with average pilot leadfeather Electric Plane Talk 1 Apr 24, 2008 12:49 AM
Video RCSuperPowers F-22 with Vectoring Thrust RCSuperPowers Electric Plane Talk 25 Feb 18, 2008 04:00 PM
Wattage F-22 with mixed surfaces & 208 watts/lb!! (video) meteor Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 30 Feb 09, 2005 09:57 AM
Wattage F-22 with ducted fan The Blue Max Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 May 10, 2003 01:13 PM
f-22 with jeti brushless ivorz Foamies (Kits) 14 Oct 01, 2002 08:39 PM