Dude that's insane!
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2010, 01:26 PM
Fear is the mind killer
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
I have learned to 'harden' the frames to handle 40A. The tail comes off @ 40A with the stock build.
BustedBlades is offline Find More Posts by BustedBlades
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:04 AM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Busted blades, you've inspired me. I've got to get my 3500kV heli motor on soon.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:54 AM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Busted blades, you've inspired me. I've got to get my 3500kV heli motor on soon.
again- this is a very good design, but by the plans its not meant for 40A's. You will have to do some strengthening.

I suggest-
doubling the vertical splines (top and bottom)
reinforce the tail and elevons
extend the wing spar to the tips (use a single piece of CF or spruce wood)
use very stiff pushrods (look at my pics of CF pushrods)
use store bought horns from the LHS
use a stick mount for the motor and reinforce the motor mount.

When doing all these upgrades be careful of your weight. You can easily make a pig trying this. this is my 6th try. My first blew the tail off. second and third (tail hardened with bamboo bar-b-que squers) came out over 24oz. needless to say, they did wierd things in the air. I got this one down to 19.2 oz with a 3S-2200 battery and it flies well.

good luck, I want to see what you come up with.

Matt
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:53 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Hey guys, I tried to search this thread, and perhaps I missed it, but what's the verdict on rudders on these planes? It is a fair assumption that adding ailerons is better than messing with rudders?

AA
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Mar 07, 2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Hey guys, I tried to search this thread, and perhaps I missed it, but what's the verdict on rudders on these planes? It is a fair assumption that adding ailerons is better than messing with rudders?

AA
Ailerons are the "must-have" mod for these planes. Very few people use rudders, although I must say that when I try to hover into a head wind, I always find myself reaching for the rudder stick!! I'm going to add one soon purely for that purpose.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:22 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Harrow,

Thanks for the quick reply. I read one response that said the rudder action affected this plane negatively, I'm not sure why that would be. Regarding adding the ailerons, I don't want to mess up a good thing. This plane flies so nice! It has become my favorite for the last little while. Did you simply yoke them to the elevons or did you add servos? Is there an optimum length and width for the ailerons?
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:52 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Harrow,

Thanks for the quick reply. I read one response that said the rudder action affected this plane negatively, I'm not sure why that would be. Regarding adding the ailerons, I don't want to mess up a good thing. This plane flies so nice! It has become my favorite for the last little while. Did you simply yoke them to the elevons or did you add servos? Is there an optimum length and width for the ailerons?
You do not "need" ailerons on this bird. If you give your elevons max throws, you will have plenty of roll authority. The "simple thrust vectoring" works as advertised. That said, you're not going to mess up a good thing by adding them - it's a personal preference thing.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 08, 2010, 01:32 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
My take:

Ailerons - Not necessary, but a great mod to add. Look back at the pics earlier in the thread to see how I hooked mine up.

Rudders - Not necessary, and a waste of time based on what I've read in the forums. Not very effective, if at all, and just adds unnecessary weight to the plane.

And like Park Flyer said above, these planes fly great with just tailerons too.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 08, 2010, 04:01 PM
called into work, I'm AIRSICK!
Oregon
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
You do not "need" ailerons on this bird. If you give your elevons max throws, you will have plenty of roll authority. The "simple thrust vectoring" works as advertised. That said, you're not going to mess up a good thing by adding them - it's a personal preference thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
My take:

Ailerons - Not necessary, but a great mod to add. Look back at the pics earlier in the thread to see how I hooked mine up.

Rudders - Not necessary, and a waste of time based on what I've read in the forums. Not very effective, if at all, and just adds unnecessary weight to the plane.

And like Park Flyer said above, these planes fly great with just tailerons too.

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Ailerons are the "must-have" mod for these planes. Very few people use rudders, although I must say that when I try to hover into a head wind, I always find myself reaching for the rudder stick!! I'm going to add one soon purely for that purpose.
Quote:

AA
I agree about the rudders, NOT NEEDED! the ailerons are a personal choice, I don't think you need them IMHO. It is a Great flyer with just the elevons!
JIMBAKER is offline Find More Posts by JIMBAKER
Old Mar 08, 2010, 08:45 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
IMHO -- rudders only add to the fun. I added rudders to mine and will add them to all future builds! Not only did they aid in fighting wind, they also added a lot of control to high alpha flight. I was also able to achieve some cool maneuvers with the rudders -- not sure what its called but I was able to do this flat spin, corkscrew type thing. I'm all for the rudders! Yes, they add weight but there's nothing like doing figure 8's in high alpha before touching down and taking off again (added L/G too!)

note: My F22 only has rudders and tailerons
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:21 PM
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Never mind
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Old Mar 09, 2010, 04:25 PM
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedBlades View Post
Version #6 (for me)

I only fly these outdoors for fast flight, so I make them tough which adds a little weight but they all float really well and handle low speeds great. Out of all the jets I have built, I keep coming back to these plans because they fly the best. I just finished building and maidened, decorations are next. Overall, this one came out really solid and straight. Will post video soon. I would really like a Doppler on this setup. Suspect about 70mph?

Specs:
28" ws 38" length
AUW: 19.2 oz.
WOT Power: 42A, 12.2V = ~510 Watts
elevons only

Setup:

Turnigy 2836 3200kv on a EMP 4.75x4.75
40-50 HK SS ESC with Turnigy BEC
Flightmax 3S-2200-25C
Spektrum Ar6100
Hey Matt, did you have to reverse the shaft on this motor. If so, how difficult is it to do. Also, what is the run time with this setup? I read here if you used an APC 6x5.5 instead you can pull about 550W at 53A WOT. 80-85mph. 35oz thrust. AUW 19oz.

Thanks,
Steven
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Old Mar 10, 2010, 07:10 AM
lille france
Joined Mar 2009
145 Posts
your set up is correct but

this esc ist's realy better
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._Brushless_ESC
chtipanda is offline Find More Posts by chtipanda
Last edited by chtipanda; Mar 10, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:17 PM
Fear is the mind killer
Joined Dec 2008
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by profilefan View Post
Hey Matt, did you have to reverse the shaft on this motor. If so, how difficult is it to do. Also, what is the run time with this setup? I read here if you used an APC 6x5.5 instead you can pull about 550W at 53A WOT. 80-85mph. 35oz thrust. AUW 19oz.

Thanks,
Steven
Yes I reversed the shaft. It was pretty easy.

My run time is about 10 mins avg on half throttle with some high speed passes. motor and ESC are lukewarm. battery is somewhat warm
I wouldn't run any more amps on that fast motor- You would probably get more instant thrust with the smaller prop to spool.

The higher the rpm per kv the lower the torque per kv.
since HP=(Torque*RPM)/5252

besides, You don't need 50W more watts on a 500W 19oz F-22, it will rip it apart in 2 flights. I rarely hit WOT.

Matteo