HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2007, 03:11 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
259 Posts
Build Log
6mmFlyRC Profile F-22 with Simple Thrust Vectoring

Here are plans for a profile F-22 Raptor with a simple form of thrust vectoring by having the elevons in the prop wash from a mid-mounted motor. It's intended to be built with 6 mm depron.

Wingspan: 72.1 cm (28.4 in)
Length: 99.9 cm (39.3 in)

Suggested motor: 2200 RPM/V
Suggested propeller: APC-E 6x4
Suggested battery: 3s 2200 mAh
Suggested servos: 2 x HS-55

The design follows the outline of the attached three-view images, except for the elevons, which have been slightly widened. The elevons have also been extended forward to increase the thrust vectoring effect.

The plans can be downloaded from http://rc.tomhe.net/f-22.

The tiled plans should be printed centered at 100 %.

UPDATE: This plane is now also available as a kit from 6mmFlyRC.

UPDATE: A detailed build instruction manual is available for download from 6mmFlyRC.

UPDATE: This plane can now be purchased as a kit from Grayson Hobby with a power combo set (motor, ESC, and propeller).
tomhe is offline Find More Posts by tomhe
Last edited by tomhe; May 30, 2008 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Grayson hobby availability
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:01 AM
Winging it Ō>
Joined May 2006
9,171 Posts
Good idea! This is a very simple way to vector the thrust. It will be interesting to see if the effect is the same as the tilting motor method of thrust vecoting. Good luck!!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 06, 2007, 07:30 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,830 Posts
I like your design approach,the inlets look great, I might just give this one a try,looks like fun
Thanks for posting them.
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Aug 06, 2007, 11:45 AM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,650 Posts
Nice !! Think I'll try it also...
Bill Bergman is offline Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Aug 06, 2007, 06:13 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,218 Posts
I try to make one at 2.25 times the size of your A4 print using the micro UH outrunner with 2000KV. http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5358
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Aug 07, 2007, 12:41 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinL
I try to make one at 2.25 times the size of your A4 print using the micro UH outrunner with 2000KV. http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5358
Wow! That should be very interesting to see. Be sure to post your progress here.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 06:39 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,218 Posts
Do u hook up the rudder?? or just use elevons..I hope to get away with 2x 3.7 gms servos
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:04 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
259 Posts
Quote:
Do u hook up the rudder?? or just use elevons..I hope to get away with 2x 3.7 gms servos
I plan to begin with just elevons. It's usually enough. You can always add rudder later on if need be.

In case the elevon surfaces are not big enough I'll just cut out ailerons and couple them to the elevons Ikarus Su-27 XXL style.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:24 AM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,218 Posts
Just completed the framing up..WS 36cm, to length to elevon 48cm..very small if you look at my hand as a guide..and it is going to be quick for indoor. I hope the elevon is effective on turns, otherwise the wall is going to come quick...one flight plane

I need to find a use for the high KV motor(10gms), so I thought pusher Jet could be it.

It is already a great chucky as it is now...without any nose ballast
Last edited by MartinL; Aug 07, 2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 12:20 PM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Hey great work. I like the notch construction alot. I see this jet being highly maneuverable yet comfortable to fly.

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Aug 07, 2007, 02:58 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2006
896 Posts
Regarding these style jets with mid mounted motors, how much difference will there be in handling at lower speeds (harriers/landings) between the use of a high kv/small propped motor as opposed to a low kv/larger propped one? I'm assuming prop-wash over the elevons will make some difference but just not sure how much. Keep in mind, I'm not talking 3D'ing ability just basic lower speed handling.

Cheers,
golem
golem is offline Find More Posts by golem
Old Aug 07, 2007, 03:10 PM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Biggest thing for a jet to fight at slow speeds in my experience is torque roll... So the smaller prop may give you less slow speed acceleration and air over the surfaces, buts its going to be torque rolling your plane alot less. I would say generally, overall, the small prop would win out.

My guess would be the best slow flying high alpha job would be a mid mounted motor on a delta (like a EuroFighter) with a working rudder. The rudder REALLY helps at slow speeds!

- Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Aug 07, 2007, 08:41 PM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
259 Posts
Quote:
Just completed the framing up.
Wow, Martin! You are a quick builder.
Old Aug 07, 2007, 09:13 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Quote:
Just completed the framing up..WS 36cm, to length to elevon 48cm..very small if you look at my hand as a guide..and it is going to be quick for indoor. I hope the elevon is effective on turns, otherwise the wall is going to come quick...one flight plane

I need to find a use for the high KV motor(10gms), so I thought pusher Jet could be it.

It is already a great chucky as it is now...without any nose ballast
Hey there MartinL! Nice quick build. I was looking at the same 10g BL motor at United Hobbies and wondering how is its performance. Which ESC did you use for that tiny motor? What is your expected AUW?

I hope you could post a video of your mini Raptor flight soon so that I could have a first hand look at its performance.

Thanks!
hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
Old Aug 08, 2007, 12:24 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Jan 2007
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golem
how much difference will there be in handling at lower speeds (harriers/landings) between the use of a high kv/small propped motor as opposed to a low kv/larger propped one?
I agree with Dave that the torque roll effect with slow propellers is the biggest problem. My planes fly much better at slow speeds with smaller and faster propellers.

As for the need for rudders at slow speed: I'm hoping that constant air from the propeller over the vectoring inlets of the elevons, present even at slow speeds, will lessen the need for rudders. It shall be very interesting to see how well they work.