Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Monterey

We were just over in your neighborhood Areo...

Had some wonderful fish tacos out on the pier. Then we headed down to Carmel for the night then on to Cambria, Morro Bay then SLO.

Quick trip but what pretty country.

You know you are always welcome to come over and join us for a Happy Meal and sail....

Rick
Fairwind900 is offline Find More Posts by Fairwind900
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Oct 21, 2012

Yo Commodores!

It was almost to perfect out when Tim, Richard, Bill, Rick and I meet up at the Holiday Inn. The temperatures were in the mid 70's and the good weather may have brought out more people to the restaurant. The restaurant was crowded but that gave us a chance to sit in the lobby and chat. It seamed like so much has happened since we sailed last week.

After breakfast we headed over to the pond where Tim's new recruit and new Victoria owner Bruce joined us. Bruce just bought a Victoria at a really good price and it included the Victoria kit with servos and radio in the bundle. It will be fun to see how Bruce build the boat.

Tim had brought with him his Vic, Voyager II and Marble head today. Rick brought his Vic. Richard sailed his Vic. Bill had his ODOM and I brought two Vics and a ENTZ to sail. We had a mix boat sailing. The Vic's did very well in the light wind the ODOM and Marblehead sailed well too when the winds picked up.

We let Bruce sail a couple of Vics and he found he had to think about his thumbs and what they were doing. Everyone has that problem when they start. Bruce has sailed full size boats so once his thumbs figure it out, watch out.

Richard showed me his Vic hull and it had a bunch of new speed groves at the bow. It looked to me that it may need a bit of touch up paint. Lately several of Richards friends have sailed his boat and tried to expand the pond by pushing the cement pond walls with the Vic's bow. It is a small price to pay in order to have friends try the hobby and in the deal we end up with a bigger pond.

Bill seamed to be fighting tangled sheet lines on his ODOM but he appeared to be sailing well most of the day between pull outs to untangle.

We talked a little about a camping/sailing trip to Morro Bay as a possibility. I know the Sierra sailing club was thinking it might be something they may want to do too. Who knows.

ODOM's and Hobie Adventure Islands???

Tim was sailing his Voyager II at the end of the day and I wanted to toss in my ETNZ but I had a radio glitch on it. Also a glitch on my old Vic and Richard reported a problem. I'm glad to say when I got home I tested things after putting the plugs in correctly and everything worked. The Vic apparently just fixed itself. I hope that is how it worked out for Richard when he got home.

What a great day. Charge up your batteries and I'll see ya next week. Garth I hope you put some of your good players back on the field this week.

Rick
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures, I worked on my wood boat.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Wood Boat

It is looking very nice Don. What's left to do? Looks like toss in batteries and close that hatch and your off.

Rick
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:20 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
I have to build the dash.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:49 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Oct 28, 2012

Yo Commodores,

Everyone must have stayed home because of Hurricane Sandy, that is except for Richard, Garth and myself. I was glad to see our Holiday Inn staff there waiting to help us with our Happy Meal and a a table.

We sat in the lobby first for a bit and talked about boats, and the past week of sailing. I was thinking full scale boat season will end soon and we will be back in the shop building soon.

Breakfast was good and we headed over to the pond to get in some sailing. Garth had his Seawind. Richard brought his Victoria and I brought my ODOM and Vic but only sailed the Vic today.

The weather was a bit cool at first but by the end of the day we were moving our rocking chairs deeper in the shade.

We had heard from Tim and Rick H. Both missed today but I was glad to see their text messages.

Only at our pond could you see Super Bunny in October. And we did. Garth risked it all with his Seawind sailing ever so close to the jumping Turtle. I'm glad to report the Turtle just missed his bow.

I think we wrapped it up around 3:30 or so after a great day chatting and sailing. Is it next Sunday yet?

Lets hope all friends and family on the East coast ride out Sandy without harm. Stay safe.

Rick
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:06 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:53 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
SMYC Pond Report Nov 4, 2012

Yo Commodores!

Someone changed the clocks.... I was thinking on my way to the pond that it could be a small group today. When I got to the Holiday Inn I had seen Richard and Garth's car parked but didn't see any others. But inside there was Richard, Garth, Tim, Bob and Ron. Rick soon followed. Cool 7 for breakfast.

We hadn't seen our Tehachapi friends in a while and it was good to see them and catch up. Bob had built some new hardware on his lathe and mill. Nice work Bob. Ron reported that they have been busy fling R/C and getting their flying club going with Wayne and others. Very nice.

It took us a while to polish off breakfast but that was fine. When we got to the pond the guys got busy setting up boats. Ace 14, 4 Victoria's, 3 ODOM's, a Fairwind, Canterbury J at least.

The morning had light air but as the day set in some wind came up and we had some good puffs. Lots of good short courses races with everyone taking turns crossing the finish line first.

Bill and Lorena came up and it was good to see them. Bill was trying to figure out what the tax on 4,000 would be if some of the new CA taxes passed. Lorena knew why he wanted to know. Something about a new Hobie AI maybe. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Bill.

Ron had his Fairwind that he wanted to sell. I picked it up. But maybe another club member will want it, we will see. I'm thinking many in the club have already owned the boat at least once.

The good puffs made the Canterbury J tricky to sail. You really need to keep your sails ready to open and expect the unexpected with it as the wind increases. The ODOM's were very comfortable as the wind got stronger. In the lighter air the Victoria's gave the ODOM's fits on the short course. The Ace 14, looked as good as ever. It can get exciting with it's flat bottom with air.

We had some walk ups we will see if they come back.

I had a great time. Thanks everyone for coming out and enjoying a day in the park.

Charge up your batteries..

Rick
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:21 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Nice.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:47 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
361 Posts
Great report Rick, almost feel like I was there.....

Thank you
mrpenguin is online now Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:50 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Sounds like a great day at Plaza Pond.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
~~~~/) ~/) Sierra MYC
Visalia CA
Joined Jul 2007
843 Posts
Sierra MYC Pond Report Nov 11, 2012

Yo Commodores!

I parked over by the pond this morning and saw Richard scouting the grounds. Apparently this morning his CJ deck house/ hatch wasn't where it was supposed to be and Richard thought it could be at the pond. Maybe he dropped it last week at the end of the day. We didn't find it.

Richard did such a good job building the deck house it would be a shame if it doesn't turn up, but I'm sure it will. Richard lent me his Hog Plyers and some rings today, thanks Richard!

We walked over to the Holiday Inn and found Bill waiting for us. Tim came in just a bit later and that was our quorum for the day.

At breakfast someone told a story of driving their car too fast and seeing car lights way up ahead. As they sped forward they saw the car ahead was a police car and they said oh oh!

So naturally instead of slowing down, they passed the Police car and the policeman turned on their lights and pulled them over.

The policeman asked, do you know how fast you were going and the driver said yeah 55mph. No the policeman reported you were going 65 in a 55 zone.

The driver explained it was a borrowed car and the speedometer must be off. The borrowed car story checked out to be true and the policeman told the driver to go ahead and he would follow and flash his lights when they were going 55 and to mind his speed. I guess that is what you call doubling down. Amazingly this time it worked!

Oh yeah we had our too happy meal and headed to the pond after. The weatherman had called for very light wind, but it wasn't bad. It was a very relaxing day with a Victoria, ODOM, Seawind and Canterbury J on the water.

We moved from sitting in the sun to the shade and back again as needed to maintain our temperature. We have snow on the mountains but it wasn't a bad day to be out sailing.

Charge up your battery and we will see ya next week.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:53 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,177 Posts
Great pictures, I hope Richard finds his hatch.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,377 Posts
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded